• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA events with great "Pro Event Value"

Discette

Independent Operator*
Gold level trusted reviewer
I posted this in the 2015 Tour Standards thread:

I wish that the PDGA would track "Event Value" for pros. This would include the cash payout plus the value of extra items. Events with generous Pro player packs and extras like meals and player parties should be recognized somehow. Players could see that XYZ event has 10K Pro Payout and 10K Pro Value and that ABC event has 10K Pro Payout and 15K Pro Value. Which event would you want to attend if entry fees were identical?

So let's hear it from you all. What events have great Pro Event Value.

I nominate the following from personal experience:

PDGA Pro Worlds - Even if most players don't appreciate it, there are usually four to six free discs, custom shirts and lots of extras. The 2014 PP included a FREE pair of Keen Shoes. That right there is at least $100 to $150 per player.

USDGC - Great player packs with high quality items and great deals (1/2 price Keens). There are free meals including a catered dinner at the pre-event player meeting. However, the Hospitality Area is my favorite. They have free meals and drinks for players and staff everyday from early in the morning until the sun goes down. The food is so delicious I could probably eat and drink the value of the entry fee here (oink!).

Las Vegas Gentleman's Club Challenge - This is really an NT worthy event with excellent added cash. Sadly it will never be an NT because the PDGA ALWAYS chooses the Memorial as the region's only NT. There are quality shirts and extras in the PP. The event now includes two tickets for every player to a Vegas Show.

Japan Open - Amazing player packs with exceptional value including a FREE pair of Keens. There is free shuttle to course each day, free golf carts for the players and free lunches each day at the course. Many expenses for players are underwritten by Kozo Shimbo and Hero Japan, so it is hard to separate the extra event payout from the extras provided to players at the Pure Cottages. The cottages provide a full buffet breakfast and dinner each day. At night, players and staff can enjoy unlimited free drinks (including alcohol) at Joe's Bar.

USWDGC - Generally has very awesome player packs with a nice collared shirt and several custom stamped discs. Most event hosts provide free lunches each day at the course as well as a player dinner. There are often fun side events like distance contests, mini golf and ring of fire.

Tim Selinske US Masters - When Tim Selinske ran US Masters it was amazing. Most TD's work to re-create that excellence with top notch player packs, side events and a player dinner.

I notice that nearly all of these events are Majors...hmmmm. I shall try to think of some non-majors and post again.

Heresay: Here are events I heard have great Event Value for Pros.

Marshall Street or Maple Hill - Great player pack along with fun parties and side events. How many events host a pie eating contest?
Rocky Mountain Women's DG Championships - Fantastic player packs plus lots of extras for the ladies.

Please add events with brief explanation how they add value.

Hawk Hollow Open- "best meal in disc golf" (per Larry Leonard), homemade hot sauce in player's pack, hot pepper eating contest which is the most entertaining thing to occur in dg all year...

Ask your Innova Ladies that played about Pro Event value and amenities at the 4th Annual Zip Line Open Ladies A-Tier a few weeks ago.......:D

700 PLUS% payback to the PRO Ladies on a 65 dollar entry fee. Over 3300 dollars added cash to the 11 PRO Ladies that showed up - including 4 World Champions!

Players packs for all Competitors including 2 discs, custom Juliana Korver earrings, and other goodies, along with discounted over 50% during prime leaf color changing season "Glamping", camping, along with a FREE lunch on SAT, discounted Zip Line tours, and a smaller version "Grange/Blockhouse type" fun gathering of players that pretty much stayed on site the entire weekend, but had the conveniences of a big city less than 15 miles away.

Hoping that for the 2015 version many other ladies will take advantage!

PS.......Hi Suzette!
Miss you and the gang so very much since I retired.

If this became a "thing" either through the PDGA or maybe someone tracking on their own. Id be happy to submit my actual added cash, event value info.

If this became a "thing" either through the PDGA or maybe someone tracking on their own. Id be happy to submit my actual added cash, event value info.

While it isn't a public "thing", all that stuff should already be getting submitted to the PDGA in the TD report. They could arguably come up with a list of the best "value" tournaments from info they already have, provided the TDs filling out the reports actually put all that info in (no idea why they wouldn't).

I was very glad to see Rocky Mountain Women's Disc Golf Championships on that list. The event returns this year for all those ladies who want to experience something amazing.

Anything run by Dynamic Discs has to be on the list. Those guys know how to run a tournament. I have never been disappointed. I am sure with GBO being an NT this year (2015) you will not want to miss it. I am glad to already be signed up.

Latest posts