• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA Executive Director Resigns

Again, very interesting to hear from you. I guess I assumed this had happened, but things changed very rapidly last Fall. While it is not surprising that there is some confusion about who does what when right now, it is very important that it is worked out sometime in the very near future.

Agreed, the thing all of us can most readily agree on in disc golf is that we're growing. The time to pick a decisive course of action and try it is fast approaching.

I don't particularly care whether the PDGA decides to be in or out of the pro scene because I don't think that's the issue holding us back. We're growing wildly and in an uncontrolled fashion, whereas we need directional growth, and in order to do that we have to have more cohesion between the movers and shakers.

We can all be jamming to different tunes, but we just gotta be in the same key.

I think there's a subtle misunderstanding what the PDGA has been doing as it relates to pros. I suspect it will continue to do so to support pros moving forward. In fact, Brian has stated that the PDGA doesn't exist to directly help pros make a living, or for that matter, manufacturers to financially survive. What Brian and especially his newer staff have been doing is working to present the game in a better, more professional manner at the highest level to help raise the bar for what promoters could present to potential sponsors.

No doubt, you've got a great point. My issue is that paradigm is somewhat inconsistent with decisions as of late.

For example, both Steve and Jussi pitched for their individual tours to essentially become the NT, with the PDGA's blessing. Turning down that cooperation offer from probably the two most capable people we've got sent a message to all of us that they are still interested in being involved in the pro game.

Both tours have been treated like an average A-tier by the PDGA from my perspective (exceptions being for the Majors in Europe...but that's a different discussion). I know both of us have played our share of A-tiers...and the PT and WT are miles beyond that level. It's fine if the PDGA wants to focus on ams and grassroots, but combining that with a refusal to delegate to either very capable option just raises more questions about the direction of the organization as a whole than it answers.

...but in the end I do truly believe you're right, it comes down to miscommunication. I hope the new ED puts a premium on proper and thorough communication with all members. It's better to write the story than have it written for you after the fact.

Is your first point self-fulfilling though? Like do the people who join the PDGA do so with the intent of being pro's because that's what is required for tournaments?

I mean I had a membership because I needed it to play in tournaments and worlds. I let it lapse because I don't play in tournaments and I don't need to subsidize those that do. But it the PDGA was still offering that sanctioning arm and worlds, while focusing on growing the sport I would be all over a lifetime membership. You would still have the same members who are there because of tournaments, because those people won't leave the competition but you will add a lot of members who then look at it as helping the sport, rather than helping the pros (example I always drop $10-15 at the concession stand when it goes to the youth sports my kids are playing, I never do at pro events).

Your second point comes along with your first. If the new DGPA (Disc Golf Players Association) came out and made a push to grow the game, offering themselves as a resource for schools and parks, and the people who want to get the game into schools and parks most of my league would join. Not because we have delusions of grandeur that we will turn pro and make all the money and nail all the babes, but because we would see that the Association was doing things to make all of Disc Golf better. Not just the pro game.

When all you do is poll a small group of the players you will get the answer they want, they have already self-selected as a small minority (the group that wants top-level competition in disc golf) so all their answer will serve that group. I would be more interested in a survey of all current and former members to see if the answer changed.

It's only self-fulfilling in that the people who took the poll were members. That is what they wanted. You can argue that there is a large pool of players out there who don't belong, who view it differently, and that is a valid point.

That said, I'm simply telling you what the membership of the PDGA has said, and why the PDGA has emphasized the pro side, good or bad. I would not expect an organization to conduct a poll of its membership, get back the answer, "grow the pro side," and then ignore that.

As for supporting local kids sports. World of difference between kids sports and an adult based sport. I don't go down to the local bowling alley and purchase things to support that venture. Yet I've been a volunteer coach, referee, and officer of more than one soccer club. On the other hand, I've done similar things for the PDGA, not because of its focus on the pro side, but because that is my nature.

As I've written before, I've read posts by many 920 rated Ams going on about how unfair it is, only to switch 180 when they hit 980. I don't say it's that simple, just that it isn't easy either. Clearly, competitive players argue that the focus should be where they are, whether they are Am players or Pro players.

a) Given the disaster that youth sports have become in the US, I'm all for a healthier alternative with less head to head you've got to win or get chewed on by a parent or coach. Disc golf is a great alternative IMO.

b) Setting up an organization to do that is great and I'd support it with time and money. I'm not sure you'd get a better result, see c)

c) I would not expect the PDGA to spend a large proportion of its time and resources on growing the youth sport, given the mandate the PDGA has from its membership. I'd expect them to take it seriously and push the effort. Which they do. EDGE and other efforts have done this. The PDGA had an article about putting in a course at a school just a couple of months ago.

It seems to me that the PDGA actually does support this effort, quite a bit. What is missing is on the ground support. Local activists who will take the tools provided by the PDGA and implement them. I've had the opportunity to run clinics at my son's middle school, and haven't made the time. EDGE is there, as is the grant program.

The expectation that the PDGA has the resources to get on the ground and push this at a higher level is misplaced. They don't. Most local course development and maintenance is done by local clubs and players. The PDGA gives credibility to the effort by being there. The same can be done with youth sports, it's just not. At least yet. I'm seeing some growth, mostly using the tools provided by the PDGA. Look at the efforts of Nikko, and I think it is DD who talks about youth clinics.

If I were going to start a national program to accomplish this, it would be a group that brought parents together and helped them start local youth clubs. Documents, forms, membership cards, youth tournament structure, donation practices, relationships with vendors and manufacturers. Most of all, a mission statement. "Tired of your kid feeling pressured to win, disc golf, a walk in the park." Something that directs them away from over organized over pressured youth sports. I'd also advise someone interested in this to look at summer camps. You might get a surprise. I've met twenty or thirty kids now who've played disc golf at summer camp.

Many have argued that a lot of the growth of the sport occurred due to efforts by Innova and Discraft on the tournament side. I'd argue that an equal push on the youth side might pay dividends for them. For all I know, they may be doing just that.

Most of the national programs in amateur sports didn't develop, and then push the sport. The sport grew and when it had enough weight to support a national organization, it happened. Efforts to reverse that typically fail by what I've seen. You can promote to a certain degree, but without massive funding, it's hard to do. Corporations start trends all the time, but they start them with multimillion dollar ad campaigns.

As to Jamie vs Chuck, :) - What Chuck is saying is exactly what I'd do. Take a look at Brian's video from Park department organizing events. Credibility matters. If I want to put a course into a park, being able to point to the PDGA matters. If I want my kid's school to put in baskets, or to start a program, talking about EDGE matters. Brian took the sport to a level of professionalism that it needed IMO.

A guy with a rag-tag group of friends trying to get a course in is going nowhere without some gravitas.

The Pro Tour. Unless I've misread the Board's position, not Brian's, the PDGA didn't poo poo the NT-pro tour because they didn't want it - they've been clear, they do - but because the proposals weren't strong enough. You can argue they are being too stringent, but I might suggest taking a peek at their CVs (resumes). They are quite experienced in a number of areas. If they think there needs to be a serious level of organization, I'd argue they are correct for the most part. Perhaps not in every detail, but most certainly in terms of philosophy.

Steve did great things with his pro tour this year, I'd bet that in one or two more years the PDGA will approach him. He's doing what it takes, understands marketing, and understands structure. However, you could see some of the PDGA concerns in the things that went wrong with the tour this year. Was it a positive, damned right it was. Was it as organized and structured as NT events are, nope. Will it be, yep. Jussie, his event was good, but he is too inflexible in my opinion. My way highway. What did someone post about Brian H.? Steve is pretty determined too, but more likely to compromise, and redirect if he gets negative input or new information.

Random comment: EDGE is specifically an education-based program designed to be run through a school PE program. My program is a community-based recreation program, so EDGE and all of the educational outcomes were totally irrelevant to what I wanted to do. I tried to explain this to Innova as I was trying to order light golf discs, but they kept insisting on trying to force me through EDGE. EDGE is waaayyy too expensive if you don't have a school district to write the check. So if you are "ground support" for the youth initiative but you are doing it specifically as a youth sport initiative and not a school-based PE initiative, you are on your own.

The PDGA does give initiative grants, and that helped a lot. Gateway came through with a huge deal on discs, so the kids throw light Elements and Magics instead of the light Stingrays and Aviars I was planning to use. So you can do it and there is help out there to make it happen. It's just not as easy a "insert EDGE here". EDGE in my experience is a very limited resource that is not very adaptable and/or cost effective outside of a school setting. Most of us are not teachers, so...there you go. There needs to be some work done there; EDGE is not the end-all be-all answer to the kids disc golf initiative that a lot of you seem to think it is.

Random comment: EDGE is specifically an education-based program designed to be run through a school PE program. My program is a community-based recreation program, so EDGE and all of the educational outcomes were totally irrelevant to what I wanted to do. I tried to explain this to Innova as I was trying to order light golf discs, but they kept insisting on trying to force me through EDGE. EDGE is waaayyy too expensive if you don't have a school district to write the check. So if you are "ground support" for the youth initiative but you are doing it specifically as a youth sport initiative and not a school-based PE initiative, you are on your own.

The PDGA does give initiative grants, and that helped a lot. Gateway came through with a huge deal on discs, so the kids throw light Elements and Magics instead of the light Stingrays and Aviars I was planning to use. So you can do it and there is help out there to make it happen. It's just not as easy a "insert EDGE here". EDGE in my experience is a very limited resource that is not very adaptable and/or cost effective outside of a school setting. Most of us are not teachers, so...there you go. There needs to be some work done there; EDGE is not the end-all be-all answer to the kids disc golf initiative that a lot of you seem to think it is.

I hate when they don't listen to the guy on the ground. Sad to know that arrogance is wide-spread.

What you're saying though is that the tools and system need a rethink with some input from parents on the ground.

Thanks for the information.

Who will be making the hiring decision? There is a grassroots effort underway to get Swami to become the next ED of the PDGA. He is without a doubt the best person for the job.

The Board of Directors makes the decision. The groundswell was to get Swami to apply.

I've seen this too. Even insiders can blow it bad. It takes leadership skills that involve empowerment of others that many managers lack.

Brian did a great job. I know some felt he should have somehow brought in a gazillion dollars. Such things don't happen.

For me the question is why? I wonder if some of the events from this year contributed? Are some pulling for a change in direction? Interesting situation.

I assume he used his contacts from PDGA to propell him to a higher paying leadership position elsewhere. His last tournament played was in 2014. I can see a loss in interest, why not take something with less travel and more benefits. Seems logical.

I assume he used his contacts from PDGA to propell him to a higher paying leadership position elsewhere. His last tournament played was in 2014. I can see a loss in interest, why not take something with less travel and more benefits. Seems logical.

Thanks. I hope the best for him. Setting aside the zealous naysayers, I thought he did a good job.

Just read the job details on pdga.com. Not sure which "outsiders" they plan on attracting to work a job that intense for just $80k/yr. I had no idea the compensation was so low.

This salary indicates they don't really intend to compete for top executive talent. Looks like it'll be an insider promoted from within. Whoever it is will be giving the BoD a significant discount, based on the job requirements, which narrows the pool further to disc golf devoteés desperate to find work in the sport. And the BoD will definitely be hard-pressed to find someone as polished and professional as Graham was, for those wages.

Just read the job details on pdga.com. Not sure which "outsiders" they plan on attracting to work a job that intense for just $80k/yr. I had no idea the compensation was so low.

This salary indicates they don't really intend to compete for top executive talent. Looks like it'll be an insider promoted from within. Whoever it is will be giving the BoD a significant discount, based on the job requirements, which narrows the pool further to disc golf devoteés desperate to find work in the sport. And the BoD will definitely be hard-pressed to find someone as polished and professional as Graham was, for those wages.

I believe I read somewhere that Brian is pulling down around $130k. The $80k number is the minimum pay, but yes my first thought was who would take this job for such a low salary? Even $100k for a CEO caliber person is really low. But maybe there are qualified candidates who love disc golf more than money.

The PDGA has fewer than 12 employees, is a non-profit, and the cost of living in the suburbs of Augusta is quite a bit lower than a major city. I think the bigger problem is finding a person who wants the job, not someone who uses the position to establish a resume enhancement and moves on in three years or less.

The PDGA has fewer than 12 employees, is a non-profit, and the cost of living in the suburbs of Augusta is quite a bit lower than a major city. I think the bigger problem is finding a person who wants the job, not someone who uses the position to establish a resume enhancement and moves on in three years or less.

agreed. for 80K, I wish I was qualified. that salary doesn't sound low in my world.....

I think you just described every job in the disc golf industry so far. :D

Good point, no doubt it's a labor of for for most.

There is big money in non-profits, which is a whole other can of worms...

(United Way CEO at $1.2 million really gets me going)

http://smartycents.com/articles/nonprofit-ceo-salaries/

agreed. for 80K, I wish I was qualified. that salary doesn't sound low in my world.....

Generally a minimum of an MBA would be required for a CEO position, and $80k or more would be a starting salary for most MBA's right out of college.

Last edited:

This salary indicates they don't really intend to compete for top executive talent. Looks like it'll be an insider promoted from within. Whoever it is will be giving the BoD a significant discount, based on the job requirements, which narrows the pool further to disc golf devoteés desperate to find work in the sport. And the BoD will definitely be hard-pressed to find someone as polished and professional as Graham was, for those wages

I think you'll be surprised at the level of talent who will apply. I'm pretty sure Brian took a cut in pay or at least moved sideways from his engineering job when he took over the ED spot 10 years ago. Most here and elsewhere think he was qualified for the job then and has done a good job since.

Latest posts