• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

pDGA loosening rules on night golf play!

mudslinger

Birdie Member
Can only PDGA Approved glow discs be used for sanctioned play in the dusk and dark?

Answer: The PDGA office has approved a blanket waiver so any PDGA Approved disc may be used with glow stick or LED light attached, preferably to the underside of transparent discs, AFTER civil twilight in your time zone. In addition, LED lights taped to PDGA Approved discs can be used during daylight specifically when there is sufficient snow cover on the course and the LED might make the disc easier to locate. Non-PDGA Approved discs such as those with built-in LED lights cannot be used at any time during sanctioned play.

http://www.pdga.com/glowin-in-the-winter

cool. did it really take this long though?

I think the biggest reason they've done it now is sanctioned leagues. There hasn't been a lot of call for sanctioned glow tournaments over the years, but sanctioned glow leagues on weekday evenings make a ton of sense during the winter months.

After 3 successful 10 week sanctioned leagues this summer we are currently in the middle of a 6 week trial run for sanctioned GLOW rounds. It's been pretty fun so far. The course we use, Oregon Park in Marietta GA, has four layouts so we play a different layout each week.

We also installed solar landscape lights on the baskets which was a cool addition for night rounds.

http://www.pdga.com/tournament_results/98983

I would never play sanctioned glow golf UNLESS there was a separate rating for it. I do like unsanctioned glow golf. Except I'm terrible at it lol

Some of the funest moments of my short stint in DG have been in Glow. Im gladthey're allowing for sanctioned play!

Prerube hitting the only tree in a massive field 15ft in front of him at Sunnyside made me spit my drink

Sanctioned leagues had something to do with this initiative but also the increase in use and availability of LED lights in comparison to relying on glow discs & sticks alone also played a part in the new initiative. The Tech Standards group is looking into how we can establish standards for night play where manufacturers can make discs that either have an area under the top where you can temporarily snap or slide an LED/battery combo in there or even have them built-in.

The problem with the current discs with LEDs built in like the Black Jack is not being able to meet the flex standards and possibly other current specs like weight. It hasn't been officially tested. But I suspect their design could be tweaked down the road to meet new specs once we develop new standards that would be appropriate for night discs.

Last edited:
Chuck,
One question that has been asked many times is how the ratings will be calculated for night rounds. My assumption is that playing at night will inflate the ratings on a course much the way a round played on a windy/rainy day would. After about 3 years of steady glow play, I see that most players are going to throw 2-4 stokes worse than they would during the day, on average of course. Would it be safe to assume that on average a night round based on that scenario would rate 20-40 points higher than an average round during the day? Again assuming that the propagators shoot an average of 2-3 strokes worse at night on a typical par 54 course?

All night play might do is raise the SSA 1or 2 throws compared to day time. But it doesn't raise the overall ratings any. The average player ratings of your propagators is what the average of their round ratings will be regardless of the SSA. In some of our night events over the years, we sometimes see scoring averages better at night than the afternoon round. I think not seeing the trees may help some players just focus on the line and they throw better.

Last edited:
I'm slightly confused. How about this example, I've played in tourneys where it was a gorgeous day for the first round and then it rains most of the time during the second round. We played the same layout both rounds. The same score in the morning round will have a lower rating than that same score in the afternoon round in the rain. What caused that? Whatever it is, I presume the darkness will have the same effect. We have a few players who say they don't want to play the sanctioned round because it will lower their rating. In other words, they know that they will throw slightly worse at night so the assume that, for example, a par round that normally rates at 920 will still be 920 at night. I have a feeling it will be slightly higher. Sorry if I'm just not "getting it". Admittedly I haven't done enough to educate myself in the exacts of how rating are calculated, especially when special circumstances are involved (wind, rain, darkness, etc.).
Thanks

The fundamental rule of the ratings system is the average ratings of the propagators will equal the average of the ratings they receive each round. That's why it works when the courses or weather change - the ratings of the whole pool of players goes up or down for the same score depending on how easy or hard the course plays that round.

So if a player shoots 54 in the day on that course it might be rated 970. If they play at night a 54 might be rated 990 and a 56 rated 970. If the SSA goes up 2 shots it means the propagators on average shot about 2 throws worse at night. But they also get the same rating as in the daytime for shooting 2 throws worse. No one's rating ever gets hurt just by playing at night on a course they already know unless they just shoot worse than normal in general, not just due to night play.

The fundamental rule of the ratings system is the average ratings of the propagators will equal the average of the ratings they receive each round. That's why it works when the courses or weather change - the ratings of the whole pool of players goes up or down for the same score depending on how easy or hard the course plays that round.

So if a player shoots 54 in the day on that course it might be rated 970. If they play at night a 54 might be rated 990 and a 56 rated 970. If the SSA goes up 2 shots it means the propagators on average shot about 2 throws worse at night. But they also get the same rating as in the daytime for shooting 2 throws worse. No one's rating ever gets hurt just by playing at night on a course they already know unless they just shoot worse than normal in general, not just due to night play.

Gotcha, thanks, this is very helpful. That would also explain why in general some of the higher rated players like it when REC divisions play a different layout so that they don't lower the SSA.

It doesn't matter who plays as long as they have an established rating. Many rec players do not have enough rounds or high enough rating to be propagators so those players don't impact the SSA.

In some of our night events over the years, we sometimes see scoring averages better at night than the afternoon round. I think not seeing the trees may help some players just focus on the line and they throw better.

I totally agree with this. The other day I played a packed course in St paul MN in the morning. It was so packed that we had 3 groups waiting per tee in front and in back of us. I felt rushed and haven't played the course enough to know where all my shots would go. My day round was +3 over par. I then went back to the same course an hour after sundown. I was the only one there, no pressure from other groups to shoot, there was less noises like cars, planes, and people, it took less time to find my disc after each throw with the light on it (i also carry a rechargable Dewalt spot light to shine at the target), which resulted in a less rushed and frazzled me, and the darkness takes away all the busy-ness and distractions of the day, like a bird flying or hot chicks jogging. At the end of that night round, I was 2 under par. I can honestly say that I prefer playing at night and feel that I do better.

So amped to see this approved. Not to mention, I usually play three or four shots better at night compared to day. Something about "there are no trees".

Looks like rules committee is changing Civil Twilight to Sunset since it was difficult to calculate the first. Won't make a darn difference because we hardly enforce rules at night golf anyways...

Looks like rules committee is changing Civil Twilight to Sunset since it was difficult to calculate the first. Won't make a darn difference because we hardly enforce rules at night golf anyways...

At night, we will play "chain and basket". This might just be an MN thing, but if the disc hits any part of the chains and any part of the basket, within the same throw, having to hit both, we count it, for either par or bogie shots. You cannot call "chain and basket" on an eagle or birdie shot. Of course, when we play, it's mainly just to have fun and get out of the house, but we have recently been keeping score.

At night, we will play "chain and basket". This might just be an MN thing, but if the disc hits any part of the chains and any part of the basket, within the same throw, having to hit both, we count it, for either par or bogie shots. You cannot call "chain and basket" on an eagle or birdie shot. Of course, when we play, it's mainly just to have fun and get out of the house, but we have recently been keeping score.

I wouldn't call it a MN thing, never heard of it myself.

I wouldn't call it a MN thing, never heard of it myself.

OK, it's a Twin Cities thing, maybe just a "kids from Shoreview" thing. I'm hoping to play some Duluth courses this Spring. Do the lumberjacks up there still play with circular saw blades? HAHA. Just kidding.