• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA membership on DGCR

blang

Birdie Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I made what I thought was an interesting observation a couple of minutes ago. Of all of the trusted reviewers, only seven are PDGA members and of the seven, only 4 have player ratings. Also, out of all the forum posters that have over 200 posts, only 4 are PDGA members.

I am not too sure what to make of it but I was surprised that so few of the people that have obviously put a lot of time in to Disc golf are not PDGA members.

I am not sure if the same reason is across the board or everyone has there own reason, but I am curious.

If you don't play competitively there isn't much incentive to be a PDGA member IMO. I play exclusively with friends and for fun, rarely entering any sanctioned events. I was a member for other reasons last year but I probably won't be renewing as it really doesn't do anything for me.

I haven't been a pdga member in a couple years. I enjoy playing tournaments, but the $$ adds up, especially if you travel to play in them. I might renew next year, but it is really only worth it if you are going to be playing in A tier events.

...I enjoy playing tournaments, but the $$ adds up, especially if you travel to play in them. I might renew next year, but it is really only worth it if you are going to be playing in A tier events.
For A-tier events you have to be a PDGA member. For B and C-tier you can pay a $10 per event exemption fee. An AM membership is $50/yr... so if you play six sanctioned events per year you "save" money with a membership.

ERic

I made what I thought was an interesting observation a couple of minutes ago. Of all of the trusted reviewers, only seven are PDGA members and of the seven, only 4 have player ratings. Also, out of all the forum posters that have over 200 posts, only 4 are PDGA members.
Are you looking at the current PDGA memberships on the PDGA.com site? Or just the DGCR listing?

Looking at the DGCR listing I see 43 trusted reviewers, of which 23 have PDGA numbers listed, of which 16 have ratings listed.

ERic

i am on the same page as timg...i don't really play in tournaments (at least not yet), there is no real advantage to me becoming a PDGA member until (or even if) i start competing in several per year...

Are you looking at the current PDGA memberships on the PDGA.com site? Or just the DGCR listing?

Looking at the DGCR listing I see 43 trusted reviewers, of which 23 have PDGA numbers listed, of which 16 have ratings listed.

ERic

I see what you mean. I did a search just now and noticed a few players that I did not see earlier. It does look as if the first list was off but it seems to be proportional to what I initially discovered.

If you don't play competitively there isn't much incentive to be a PDGA member IMO. I play exclusively with friends and for fun, rarely entering any sanctioned events. I was a member for other reasons last year but I probably won't be renewing as it really doesn't do anything for me.

I'm with Tim on this one.

For A-tier events you have to be a PDGA member. For B and C-tier you can pay a $10 per event exemption fee. An AM membership is $50/yr... so if you play six sanctioned events per year you "save" money with a membership.

ERic

You could use it save a lot depending on where you live. Where I live it is a good 3 to 4 hour drive one way to most sanctioned event, there are just not that many in Oklahoma that I've found. When I was living in De Kalb, IL. northern Illinios there was like a sanctioned event every other weekend with in a hour drive. My buddy Brian played in 4 of them in 5 weeks. I played in one and had to pay the $10 no member fee. So if you plan on using it, it maybe worth having one but if you are just out to have a good time with friends on your local course don't get one.

I honestly haven't joined because I never play in PDGA sanctioned tournaments. I looked into joining this year, but th eonly reason to join semmed to be if I was going to be playing in a lot of tourneys. Im a member of my local DG club and that makes more sense to me since I can be involved locally in the upkeep of my home courses and play in local tourneys. I might join at some point down the road, but at this time there doesnt seem to be much reason (especially with $ as tight as it is these days).

Looks like I'm the exception... I played 11 PDGA sanctioned events in 2008. All within an hour of downtown Houston.

ERic

Looks like I'm the exception... I played 11 PDGA sanctioned events in 2008. All within an hour of downtown Houston.

ERic

I guess I am as well. I will be in 11 this coming year.

I also play a lot of tournaments - if economically possible, I think its important to support the sanctioning body of our sport

obviously, right now it is only a benefit to join if you play tournaments, but if our sport is expected to go mainstream, it will need the PDGA - so if the membership can grow strong now, it will help the PDGA get bigger, faster for later

I only started playing in March of '08, so I didn't join in '08 because I had no business playing in tournaments. I respect the work that the PDGA does, however, and joined about 10 days ago. I got my number last night, I'm #39704, and look forward to playing in a couple of events in 2009. Even if I don't play enough to "make money" on fees I still feel good about contributing money to my sport's governing organization.

Last edited:

ERic

Yeah, that's what I'm seeing too. Where did the 7/4 number come from?

I have to get mine renued this week as my first sanctioned tourney of 09 is Sunday & if possible I'lll play in at least a dozen more this year. Have a baby on the way in May so I most likely wont play as many or drive as much to them as i did this year.

I used to play in a lot more tournaments, mainly because I was around them. Now the closest course with tourneys is about an hour away. I did recently renew my membership, after about 4 years of inactivity, simply because I wanted to keep my number. 50 bucks every 5 years isn't too bad and it helps out disc golf. It's really more of a donation in my mind.

I used to play in a lot more tournaments, mainly because I was around them. Now the closest course with tourneys is about an hour away. I did recently renew my membership, after about 4 years of inactivity, simply because I wanted to keep my number. 50 bucks every 5 years isn't too bad and it helps out disc golf. It's really more of a donation in my mind.

$50 every 5 years? I would join for that. I thought it was $50/yr. I think its lame to pay extra $10 to play a "sanctioned" tourney.

Latest posts