• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA WORLD'S in Charlotte 2012

We're staying in the Ramada across from Sugaw for less than $50/night with taxes (2 queen beds). It's not awesome but has interior hallways, mini fridge (if you request it), free wireless internet and free breakfast. Plus I was told the pool is actually clean and functional but we'll see in a week.

It's right near I85 and I77, so a great spot to work from, plus there is a Cook-Out within walking distance that's open til 2am :)

Not trying to scare you, but please do not walk alone in that area at night.

We're staying in the Ramada across from Sugaw for less than $50/night with taxes (2 queen beds). It's not awesome but has interior hallways, mini fridge (if you request it), free wireless internet and free breakfast. Plus I was told the pool is actually clean and functional but we'll see in a week.

It's right near I85 and I77, so a great spot to work from, plus there is a Cook-Out within walking distance that's open til 2am :)

for 53 a night with taxes i am staying at the hilton university place 4 miles northeast from there and its not in the hood :D

35 a night red roof inn.....we stayed there twice before and it's perfectly safe with a nice continental breakfast. Not sure why you locals keep trying to scare those of us staying near Sugaw it really isn't that bad it's not like we are planning on spending much time just hanging out in the local community and we know to lock our cars.

35 a night red roof inn.....we stayed there twice before and it's perfectly safe with a nice continental breakfast. Not sure why you locals keep trying to scare those of us staying near Sugaw it really isn't that bad it's not like we are planning on spending much time just hanging out in the local community and we know to lock our cars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hidden_Valley_Kings
and
http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshhIABs77kYs044Uhwx

Last edited:
I didn't think the Sugaw area looked that bad when I went down to practice my courses. We went on a Sunday morning thinking there wouldn't be any activity that early. There was a guy in the park walking with a golf club. He wasn't hitting golf balls either! I think that was his protection. We played about half the course and ended up leaving after a guy stood next to one of the baskets waiting for us. I think we were lucky to get out of there. I'm still not sure when I'm going to get to practice that course.

Yes there is a gang in that area.....I'm staying at a hotel not driving up and down the streets looking for some action. Just because an area has a bad reputation doesn't mean you are going to get robbed or shot.

That was my point ....it should be fine as a place to stay....just be wise later in the day.

I didn't have any problem the 2 previous times I stayed in that area. You aren't going to either as long as you don't seek out a problem.

Are Marshall Beer Snobs allowed to crash the beer snob tour? :D

Robert, I'd be honored to have a cold craft brew with you. I'll also offer to buy Rodney, roadtrip, & jack straw, who provided great beer recommendations, a dank microbrew. If I run into you during the week then please, by all means, let's quaff one together. :thmbup:

Locals, staying at Candlewood Suites on West Park Drive. How's the neighborhood? Also, recommendations for the 2 best breakfast and dinner places to eat in the area? Plan to eat mostly out of my room but need to splurge a couple times.

Just for the experience, you gotta try a pecan waffle at Waffle House if you've never been to one (and even if you have).

Locals, staying at Candlewood Suites on West Park Drive. How's the neighborhood? Also, recommendations for the 2 best breakfast and dinner places to eat in the area? Plan to eat mostly out of my room but need to splurge a couple times.

That neighborhood is fine....albeit corporate with only chain restaurants in the immediate area.

Mac's Speed Shop on South Blvd is a Charlotte favorite (good bbq and beer) is a few miles north. Zada Jane's is owned by a disc golfer (Roger) and is a really cool breakfast place (close to Kilborne and Sugaw). The cool/hip/artsy areas are there on Central Ave and North Davidson (NoDa).

Hit up Sub Station II at 1601 South Blvd if you want to support the TD of Worlds (Sam)

Good call on the Waffle House, Chuck.....definitely need to hit one of those up to make your trip to the SE complete.

iwill definitely hit up the good restaurants that are affiliated with the tourney, sub statuin II and zada janes sounds like winners

Better food can be had at McCoy's Smokehouse than at Mac's in a similar atmosphere. I will give the nod to Mac's for beer, but the food doesn't even compare in my book.