• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pet Peeves

Thanks, mjoyce!

Haha the OP could probably watch this and realize that http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI

I'd heard of David Foster Wallace but never taken the time to listen to him. That was a thought-provoking, inspirational commencement speech.....so much so that I used my monthly Audible subscription to download the audiobook version of Infinite Jest to check out on my next road trip.

Appreciate the food for thought, brother!

Am I wrong in thinking that if you are tired of waiting for a slower party in front you - you should just walk past them and say, "Mind if I play through?"

If somebody has an issue with you playing through - just skip the next hole as well so you're not in their way? If you're really annoyed with the situation - why not just fix it? Nobody can stop you from passing them, or at least I've never seen it.

But then I miss out on 1-2 holes? Okay, come back and play them after you're done.

889; that's am1, get it right.

Recreational - available to amateur players of all ages with player ratings < 900. For players who have played 1-2 years and are gaining consistency and experience. Throw 200-300 feet, make 4-6/10 putts from 20 feet, learning different shots. Score range: 63+
sounds like i gave you too much credit, guess youre more am3

Recreational - available to amateur players of all ages with player ratings < 900. For players who have played 1-2 years and are gaining consistency and experience. Throw 200-300 feet, make 4-6/10 putts from 20 feet, learning different shots. Score range: 63+

That's me.:D. My biggest problem is the amount of people I see not having fun.:(

Intolerance. entitlement and immaturity. These are isolated but pet peeves of mine.
Over the last couple of years I have received criticism from a few dgers because I have interest outside of disc golf. I play 10 - 15 sanctioned tournaments annually around the Southeast but do not participate with my local club often due to other interests I enjoy including hanging out with family and friends when I am home.
I have noticed the entitlement issue recently due to a club upset with a private course owner over how the private course was managed and maintained.
The immaturity is somewhat of a combination of the two mentioned above. If you cannot have fun playing disc golf then do not play. I have seen a few new players turned off to the game due to others pissy attitudes, arrogance and lack of sportsmanship.

Intolerance. entitlement and immaturity. These are isolated but pet peeves of mine.
Over the last couple of years I have received criticism from a few dgers because I have interest outside of disc golf. I play 10 - 15 sanctioned tournaments annually around the Southeast but do not participate with my local club often due to other interests I enjoy including hanging out with family and friends when I am home.
I have noticed the entitlement issue recently due to a club upset with a private course owner over how the private course was managed and maintained.
The immaturity is somewhat of a combination of the two mentioned above. If you cannot have fun playing disc golf then do not play. I have seen a few new players turned off to the game due to others pissy attitudes, arrogance and lack of sportsmanship.

Seems every sport has that.

I have a very addictive personality. Not that people are or get addicted to me personally, just that when I get attached to a new hobby I jump in with both feet and it makes me obsess over it 24/7. Disc golf is that for me now. In 1999, it was chess. Chess remained my obsession until 2006 when I finally tired of the jobless, witless, toothless no-loads who live with their parents and had to be driven to the tournament they're currently judging me at because they don't own a vehicular transport of their own giving me grief because they were gifted with the ability to push pieces of wood across a checkerboard more accurately than me.

Point is: Have fun. When you stop having fun.....NEWSFLASH: STOP PLAYING. It's not a hard concept.

Unfortunately, a lot of people (in a lot of sports) believe they either are really good (when they aren't) or they deserve to be good (when they're not...and they don't).

These are the people who suck the fun out of the game for people just there for the enjoyment of it. Not because those who are there for the fun of it have a bad attitude, but because those fun-suckers (whom people have mentioned in replies to this thread) make it about the result and not the enjoyment.

Whether you play chess, disc golf, ball golf, bridge, poker, etc......do it because you like it. But don't diminish other people's enjoyment just to satisfy your own nefarious, soul-crushing schemes.

(Putting down my wine bottle and crawling down from my soapbox now....)

My biggest pet peeve is when I throw OB. It happens all the time. Really pisses me off.

On a serious note, most disc golf related PPs can be solved by a deep breath, a shrug, and getting on with your life. Sounds silly, coming from me, of course, but I have been working on it!

I have a lot of fun playing with folks that like to play mental games. I play those games right back when someone else starts it, and those folks generally don't deal well with it when they get it in return. I played with a kid the other day who tried to play that kind of game, I had him so off his game that he blew up and kicked his bag down a hill by hole 5, then left so the rest of us could enjoy our round.

Not cool to do that to a kid. You big bully. Better to act in the manner you want him to emulate.

Is it a dick move to throw on douche bags that won't let you play through?

If you're throwing at them because they won't let you play through, dick move. If you're throwing at them because they're douche bags, more power to ya!

Pet peeves:

1. People playing shirtless. I have no rational reason for hating this, but I do. The temperature clears 60 degrees, and suddenly it looks like the volleyball scene in Top Gun. For some reason, this was a much bigger deal when I lived in Omaha than in Vegas or New England. I think New Englanders respect the ticks, and people in Vegas understand the 3rd degree sunburn they'd get in 10 minutes.

2. People not letting you play through. However, I will say this is VERY rare. I play alone all the time, and most people volunteer it before I even ask. I don't love it when I have to ask (confrontation, etc), but that's on me. Most people are fine with faster people playing through.

3. Slow play. Please don't take 60 seconds to line up that 20 foot putt when people are waiting. Please. Your Nomar Garciaparra-like twitching won't help you get in a rhythm.

4. People who say, "I don't throw far, but I throw 400 feet..." (I've seen that more than once this week) Uh huh. If you really do throw that far, you're better than 99% of players. So no need to be modest. Don't be the millionaire who thinks he's not rich just because other people are richer.

I truly dont understand you guys. If i had worded it differently you guys wouldnt say anything.
Let me reword myself "I think it is funny when some people have super rare super nice discs and dont use them to their full potential."
I'm sorry for offending anyone, it wasnt meant to hurt anyone's feelings or put anyone down.

Ok, I have to take issue with this. Who cares what other people throw and for what shots? I quit worrying about it. Some people will never change no matter how much advice you give them. My group that I normally play with makes fun of me because I throw my putter for anything under 230ft. They call me "Chunk-A-Putter" when I do it. I could care less. I have tried to tell them about throwing their putter, but it doesn't work.

I also once met a guy that was putting with a Champ Wraith. I thought it was the dumbest thing I had ever seen , till the guy started matching me , putt for putt. What could I say, the guy made it work. I didn't agree with it, but there are people that I have met that just don't like using putters. Don't understand it, but what the hell. I play my game and I let other people play theirs .

Pet peeves:

1. People playing shirtless. I have no rational reason for hating this, but I do. The temperature clears 60 degrees, and suddenly it looks like the volleyball scene in Top Gun. For some reason, this was a much bigger deal when I lived in Omaha than in Vegas or New England. I think New Englanders respect the ticks, and people in Vegas understand the 3rd degree sunburn they'd get in 10 minutes.

3. Slow play. Please don't take 60 seconds to line up that 20 foot putt when people are waiting. Please. Your Nomar Garciaparra-like twitching won't help you get in a rhythm.

4. People who say, "I don't throw far, but I throw 400 feet..." (I've seen that more than once this week) Uh huh. If you really do throw that far, you're better than 99% of players. So no need to be modest. Don't be the millionaire who thinks he's not rich just because other people are richer.

hahaha!

i earned the nickname "shirtless" at leagues this year. lots of people don't even know my name. i pretty much just show up wearing my gym shorts and vibram five fingers. i love it once it gets in the 90's because i bring a full size bath towel with me every round all year; i'll always be dry and not dripping with sweat. then once it gets down into the 60's-70's it is just perrrrrrfect weather. even the 50's is okay as long as it's sunny. i'm always comfortable, no matter the weather. big advantage for me and i just love being outside. used to be a landscaper.

long time to prepare for putts, dear lord. everyone has a routine, but there is a difference between a routine and a full-blown rite of the putt. i take every putt seriously as well, and i don't need a full minute just to prepare for my putt. put in the basket. going to start timing people and calling them on it. sometimes i wonder if they do it to piss me off and mess with my mental state, but the good news is that i focus when i get irritated since it puts me into a no-nonsense zone. not to mention the fact that i've never actually yelled at someone for it just yet.

and as far as throwing far . . . it's a matter of not throwing far *enough*. :D

To the OP...Sometimes people just have to learn the hard way. You see, I throw by myself a lot, so I run into this problem quite frequently. Maybe they don't know to let people throw through, maybe their just being jerks. But with me.... If I'm on your tail and you don't ask if I wanna play through, you have about a 3 or 4 hole leeway until I'm throwing down on you. If that makes me a douche...oh well.

I was just kidding about this btw. I would never throw down on anybody. I'm not trying to hurt anybody. I was just drunk and trolling. Lmao. But I do have one pet peeve when it comes to disc golf. Only one. When you ask somebody their opinion about disc X, and they offer you no opinion about disc X yet say you should try disc Y instead. To each their own though.

Latest posts