• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pet Peeves

Dude, you have got to be kidding. Did those athletes personally say they want to smoke and drink while playing? Besides baseball I cannot think of one real "sport" to which you are referring. You cannot realistically drink or smoke while playing a game like basketball, football, hockey, soccer, or any other game where you continuously have to move. You can try but I'm pretty sure you'll get sick.

Yea, it's "not allowed"... when I was at the Hambrick Memorial this year the first thing we smelled was weed while we were walking through the course. It may not be allowed but I'm sure it's pretty lax. But really, what boxers are smoking while they fight? Does not compute.

edit- no, baseball is not a sport because you can be fat and drink in the dugout and chew tobacco. David Wells may be a great pitcher but he is not athletic beyond throwing a ball.

It's always fun when someone has their own definition of a word....

I recall pictures of people smoking, and video of people drinking, while competing in the Tour de France.... Which is funny, as it's a sport by your definition too. But hey, times change...

I recall pictures of people smoking, and video of people drinking, while competing in the Tour de France.... Which is funny, as it's a sport by your definition too. But hey, times change...
So they were literally smoking and drinking while riding their bikes in competition? Because that's a new one to me. Still, I guess you are free to do whatever drugs you like...
Baseball isn't a sport....:|

Lol
Cycling is more of a sport than baseball. There are no fat professional cyclists but there sure are/were some fat baseball players. The amount of time in a baseball game when something actually happens ends up being like 20 minutes total, so go ahead and compare that to any other sport where you don't stand around in a field scratching your jock.

Back to my main point, what other "disc sports" are there? Discus? Ultimate frisbee? That's all I can think of. Certainly we are not discus throwers. Disc sport? Singular? Disc golf is a game of skill. I don't think it's a sport because it does not require much athleticism. Stop pretending we are athletes. It's just a game.

laugh out loud

MTA, TRC, Ultimate, GUTS ... probably some more ...

I really just came here to say that if I were doing the Tour de France, my dude would hand me a cup of water and a lit smoke when I came through the checkpoint.

Webster says:
1game noun \ˈgām\ : a physical or mental activity or contest that has rules and that people do for pleasure

2sport noun : a contest or game in which people do certain physical activities according to a specific set of rules and compete against each other

Disc Golf can be defined either way, depending on the context - not your personal opinion.

My Pet Peeve with this whole game/sport discussion is people making up their own definitions. Hopefully, Mr Webster can put this whole discussion to rest - but I doubt it.

Last edited:
"Disc sports"

If you can drink and smoke while playing then it's not a sport. Sorry, DGers. I know there was a thread on this recently. I consider disc golf to be a game of skill. You don't need to train or be in great physical shape to play disc golf. It's as much of a sport as croquet or darts.

You don't need to train or be in great physical shape to play virtually any sport. However, it certainly helps to perform better. DG is no different. Most of the top-tier pros train and are it pretty good shape.

Webster says:
1game noun \ˈgām\ : a physical or mental activity or contest that has rules and that people do for pleasure

2sport noun : a contest or game in which people do certain physical activities according to a specific set of rules and compete against each other

Disc Golf can be defined either way, depending on the context - not your personal opinion.

My Pet Peeve with this whole game/sport discussion is people making up their own definitions. Hopefully, Mr Webster can put this whole discussion to rest - but I doubt it.

I was referring specifically, to baseball not being a sport... Because fat people have played it professionally (to paraphrase the original post).

So, I guess MMA, and football aren't sports

roy_nelson.jpg

linemen.jpg

I have recently discovered a pet peeve of mine.

When someone empties their bag on a hole, eventually they make one of their discs into the basket, and they proclaim "Ace!"
I recently heard a guy saying how he had 3 aces during one round. As he continued to explain the so called "aces" I discovered he just spent the day emptying his bag on every hole. That's not an ace, its called practice. Granted it is an awesome result to practice, but that is not an ace.

Felt good to get that out. Now I'll sit back wait to see who I offended

I have recently discovered a pet peeve of mine.

When someone empties their bag on a hole, eventually they make one of their discs into the basket, and they proclaim "Ace!"
I recently heard a guy saying how he had 3 aces during one round. As he continued to explain the so called "aces" I discovered he just spent the day emptying his bag on every hole. That's not an ace, its called practice. Granted it is an awesome result to practice, but that is not an ace.

Felt good to get that out. Now I'll sit back wait to see who I offended

Most feel that way around here. Check my sig.

I've got a few but here goes one of mine...

I hate people who come to the course sober and then get inebriated in some kind of manner while they are there and then complain that if they weren't so messed up they would be playing better...it's like "hey azzhat..no one told you to get messed up...it's your decision and your's alone..if you play better when you're sober then why do you come to the course, get blitzed and then complain about it." Shut up and throw! If I wanted to hear excuses I would've stayed home with my kids.

I've got a few but here goes one of mine...

I hate people who come to the course sober and then get inebriated in some kind of manner while they are there and then complain that if they weren't so messed up they would be playing better...it's like "hey azzhat..no one told you to get messed up...it's your decision and your's alone..if you play better when you're sober then why do you come to the course, get blitzed and then complain about it." Shut up and throw! If I wanted to hear excuses I would've stayed home with my kids.

This is why I don't partake during rounds. I lose all semblance of the small skill I happen to possess.

I try not to let too much bother me on the course but super slow play without a wave through is rough

I'm sure many people will agree but...
When people say they can throw WAY farther than they actually can. :mad:

Ha

I was wondering about this. I keep reading some impressive distances but I don't see many examples on the course. Could just be everyone here sucks.

Ha

I was wondering about this. I keep reading some impressive distances but I don't see many examples on the course. Could just be everyone here sucks.

320' and proud of it. I did hit 360' a few times in the field this year....just no clue how I did it.

Latest posts