• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pick the most stable disc

What is the most stable disc?

• Total voters
The Firebird is overstable
The Buzzz is stable
The Leopard is understable

Most disc golfers debating in a poll...unstable

:popcorn:

Most disc golfers debating in a poll...unstable

This is not really a debate. It's a queston of terminology. I was not aware that so many people thought stable meant straight until yesterday and am quite shocked as to how many people believe it...and they're all wrong. :D

the leaning tower of pisa = overstable
the interest rate = stable (for now)
Somalia = understable

Is this what you all mean? :wowthisthreadislamesmiley:

http://www.innovadiscs.com/media/PDF/innova-driver-chart-web.pdf

Are Innova wrong? I've often found the above chart a useful reference, and further the 'turn' and 'fade' values great ways to express a discs flight pattern.

It must be pointed out, stability on a personal level can't be quantified on a chart generalized against only other discs. But, while erring on throwing things that end up being too much or not enough disc for us to handle, a standard such as this helps us determine which way to go to find that stability.

Stability to me is our ideal range, neither over nor under and may come at any point in the chart.

K.

Sorry to quote myself, I'm curious what the firebird = stable crowd think of Innova's take on this. (see link)

This is not really a debate. It's a queston of terminology.

Give it time...it's not even 100 posts yet. I figure it'll rival the Understable Compliment to a Buzzz thread...

Actually, we could debate whether or not this tread is a debate...

:popcorn:

IMO here's the issue........

Most people see the term stable meaning this .....

Understable = flippy (Leopard)
Stable = Straight (Buzzz)
Overstable = Meat Hooks (Firebird)

Stable actually equals this ....... steadfast; not wavering or changeable, as in character or purpose; dependable.

So if you use this logic that dependable = consistent flight .....

Understable = inconsistent = flippy (Leopard)
Stable = somewhat consistent = Straight (Buzzz)
Overstable = very consistent = Meat Hooks (Firebird)

So IMO the Most Stable (Consistent) disc is the Firebird, but that's semantics. The "standard" and most "accepted" response would be the Buzzz.

The issue is that many folks believe the term 'stable' is synonomous with overstable. Even some folks (like myself) who believe a Classic Roc is the definition of a stable disc will say that an Xcal is 'more stable' than a Roc. I know I should be saying 'more overstable' but I also know that 'most' people will know what I mean.

One problem with calling a Firebird stable and a Stingray understable is then what do you call a Roc/Buzz? Neutral?

Stable actually equals this ....... steadfast; not wavering or changeable, as in character or purpose; dependable.

So IMO the Most Stable (Consistent) disc is the Firebird, but that's semantics. The "standard" and most "accepted" response would be the Buzzz.

:hfive:

Yes! That's why in my area we generally only use stable and flippy. We use these for relation for comparing mold to mold and within mold.

Sorry to quote myself, I'm curious what the firebird = stable crowd think of Innova's take on this. (see link)

No need to be sorry. I too am curious what the Firebird = stable crowd thinks.

It's too bad nobody from that corner wants to chime in on that one. :\

Problem. Overstable =/= steadfast and unchangeable. If you throw it straight, it will go left. If you throw it with an anhyzer, it will pan out or fade left.

Stable disc
Throw it on hyzer, it will continue to hyzer
Throw it on anhyzer, it will continue to anhyzer
Throw it straight, it will go straight

Steadfast, unwavering, dependable. What is not dependable, is your form.

"Most Stable" != Over-stable especially in this context when talking about both ends of the spectrum

I can't be bothered to read 10 pages of this but should the question not have been which disc is stable?
in this poll we are asked to answer which disc is "most" stable
the inherent weakness of the question is that it asks for a comparative answer from a choice of 3 discs one of which is potentially understable (plastic dependent for this choice adding further comparative variability), one stable, and one overstable
further variance is added by the inclusion of a slow(er) fairway driver, a midrange, and a fast(er) driver

comparatively the FB is the "most" stable
an equal weight champ Leo to Z Buzzz could be equally stable

the disc choices should have used some thing like Buzzz, Core, and err I dunno Roc mebbe

or River, Leo, Teebird

blah, what a waste

You know what isn't stable?

sidewinding, that's what.

picture.php

No need to be sorry. I too am curious what the Firebird = stable crowd thinks.

It's too bad nobody from that corner wants to chime in on that one. :\

Firebird = MORE stable

I posted this earlier in this thread:

A Firebird is similar to a Predator, which has a Discraft stability of 2.5, which is obviously MORE than the 0.5 stability rating of the Buzzz. Thus the Firebird is most stable.

All discs have stability. Some have more, some have less. Discs that resist turn and quickly fade are overstable, a term created for disc golf to describe discs that are more stable. Discs that turn easily are understable, or less stable. Discs that fly straight are just plain stable.

Firebird = MORE stable

I posted this earlier in this thread:

All discs have stability. Some have more, some have less. Discs that resist turn and quickly fade are overstable, a term created for disc golf to describe discs that are more stable. Discs that turn easily are understable, or less stable. Discs that fly straight are just plain stable.

STABILITY IS NOT QUANTITATIVE

Latest posts