• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pick the most stable disc

What is the most stable disc?

• Total voters
Again stability is relative and no matter what the firebird is always more stble than the other 2 and the leopard is always less so and the buzz is always in the middle

So what's the buzzz....just...."in the middle"? Overstable, stable, understable.

My last post in this one.....HOW IS A DISC, IN MOST CASES, THAT WANTS TO TURN LEFT AS SOON AS IT COMES OUT OF THE HAND.....STABLE?!?!? Any disc that does that, is highly unstable. (to the point of overstable)

Stable -- when left and right are at their most equal, though opposite. in the disc's case, left and right = turn and fade. When turn and fade are at their most equal, "0", you have STR8 FLIGHT = STABLE

http://discraft.com/stability.html

"Overstable distance driver which works well into a headwind" -- Innova on the FireBird.

"Innova DX Overstable Disc Golf Driver Bundle
---This bundle contains the Innova Firebird, Banshee & Whippet disc golf discs."

Proofs in the pudding folks. Firebirds overstable. 'nough said, 'nough typed.

.....Firebirds are awsome.:thmbup:

Last edited:
How about this, Which color looks like it changes the least amount during it's flight. i.e. - what line changes off it's primary direction the least amount

hv0ykl.jpg

By the looks of the picture, you're only driving about 75 ft. No wonder your view on stability is askew.

Someone better tell Barry

:DFor all you "innova says" people, I watched clash's red hawk last night- barry did comentary.
He used the term stable multiple times but not once was he refering to straight discs- everytime he used stable he was refering to ovverstable discs:D

The resistance of a rotating body to a change in its plane of rotation. The faster a body spins (the greater its angular velocity), the greater the stability of the body in its particular position or orientation. Gyroscopic stability accounts for the stability of a spinning discus or a spinning football in American football.

Stable = flat, not going left, not going right. Stop spouting bad information.

/overstable
\understable
_stable.

Actually, the higher the angular momentum, the more likely the disc is to turn and fade. The turn and fade are cause by a gyroscopic reaction to the moment generated by the lift at the leading edge. Your definition doesn't make any sense unless we're all throwing aerobie rings (which are actually true stable by your definition unlike any golf disc).

I view it like cursive writing.
There are some arguing what their second grade teacher told them was correct (under/stable/over), and there are some arguing a much more useful IRL idea.

Over/stable/under is for noobs that don't know how discs fly. Stable/flippy work better for those that already know how discs fly.

F cursive Z's

It only matters that someone knows what you are talking about. If someone tells me a Pred is more stable than a Buzzz; then I get what they are saying. If they are talking about a disc that I have never heard of, well; might be best said saying its more overstable, or more understable.

Here's the Discraft stability guide that I'm sure most of you have seen. The closer a disc is to zero the more stable it is. It seems like a pretty simple concept to me.

discraftstabilityguide.jpg

I'm done with this thread now. It's getting a little too silly in here. :sick:

I'm not sure how you can look at that picture, not see zero identified as "stable" anywhere and conclude that the smaller the absolute value of a number the "more stable" it is. It's a totally useless definition. It fails to distinguish between 0.5 and -0.5. Those are equally stable by your definition but obviously have extremely different flights.

If you want to define it that way, be my guest. Good luck communicating disc characteristics to anyone.

:DFor all you "innova says" people, I watched clash's red hawk last night- barry did comentary.
He used the term stable multiple times but not once was he refering to straight discs- everytime he used stable he was refering to ovverstable discs:D

Thanks for the info. I had no idea Barry was the end all be all on such matters. That really puts things into perspective. :thmbup:

:rolleyes:

Somebody going to answer my question about the picture? Or are you going to just keep denying what I"m saying.

You don't seem to recognize that stability actually is quantitative. It's basically a function of the moment of inertia of the disc.

Your confusion comes from your refusal to accept this. Yes, people often lump discs into three categories (understable, stable, and overstable). Those are decent general identifiers. However, when comparing discs, it is often useful to compare their RELATIVE stabilities. Is the stability of a Trex the same as the stability of a wraith? They're both "overstable drivers." Obviously, the Trex is more stable.

I really don't understand what is so complicated about this.

Thanks for the info. I had no idea Barry was the end all be all on such matters. That really puts things into perspective. :thmbup:

:rolleyes:

Lol. Not quite, but it was the best example ATM that I thought people could see for themselves.

I'm actually worried that every touring pro may be wrong;) and as embassadors of the sport that could lead to some confusion;)