• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

picking discs.....

Ebon Betta

I am kind of new to this and reading is not my best way to learn things.....
But if I am reading things right as a beginner I should get discs with lower speed ratings until I can throw them with the high speed they need ?
Being that I am 59 and have pain issues I am thinking that I should look for discs that are in the 5-8 range for speed. I am also thinking that I should look at discs that are a bit under stable as opposed to over stable ? If I'm understanding what I am reading clearly? Another thought that I am unsure on is weights. I am trying to learn to through forehand. Something I've never done with a disc of an kind unless you consider throwing chicken wing as a forehand.
The only discs i have are a starter set of rec-tec rated at 160 gram and a 165 gram champion tern.
But I think the Tern needs more speed than I can throw at this time I believe.
The course
I have been playing on is only 9 holes and fairly smallish with some trees for obsticales .
I thing the longest hole is 250 ft.
Any thoughts or corrections to what i think I have read would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance Jim G

You are correct for the most part. High speed discs aren't very useful starting out but you could still carry a more stable and less stable discs at those lower speeds. The more stable one will just have a harder fade(turn at the end) and shorter distance but can be useful in scoring as it can be an easier shot to aim. The less stable ones would fly straighter and further.

To me the simple suggestion for beginners is to go buy a Leopard.

Yes, start with understable discs. Also, I found mid-range discs the easiest to learn to throw strait.

You have the general gist. And at 62 I hear you when it comes to broken body parts. I'm a big fan of lighter discs. The first driver that did anything for me was a 150g Champion Leopard. And I still keep one in my bag. Latitude 64 makes a whole series of lightweight beginner friendly discs; the Pearl, Ruby, Diamond, and Truth are all premium discs that are around 150g. The downside to light discs is that can be affected moreso by the wind.

I would definitely go with a heavier putter though.

Good luck and welcome aboard.

Welcome! Seems like you got the gist of it, now just get out and throw, find what feels good for you and rock it. I'd definitely start on the lighter side of weight and a tad understable. From there you can pick and choose which direction you wanna go.

My gf uncle has been playing for 4 years. He told me to start off playing with putters then when I can drive 200 ft move up to mids then when I can throw mid's 300 move up to fairway then drive then distance driver. Also buy used discs from play it again sports because you WILL loose a handful starting off, used bin is great. I progressed so fast. My friends starting off with high speed drivers still aren't my level because they never got the foundation of technique down and still SUCK. Also the hand towel drill is magic! Works great. Do it a few times before each drive starting off. Since your starting off I have some putters and mids I can sell you cheap to start you off. Cheers and welcome to the site.

Tern is to fast for you right now. Play the course a few times with outter only then a few times with mids only (don't worry about score) sounds like a putter mid/ maybe fairway for tech shot course

59 and want to throw forehand? Be careful as that can be a painful journey at any age. As a 50+ player myself, I'd say stick with backhand, your shoulder will thank you down the road. ;)

Anything understable, 160-165grams is a great starting point. Once you learn some discs you'll understand why it's better to use lighter or heavier discs in certain circumstances. If you're just wanting to be a weekend warrior and play casual rounds, pick up a 165g mamba, 175g buzz, 165g tursas, 165g leopard, 175g ss wizard and you'll have everything you need for some fun rounds.

But if you're serious about wanting to learn the game right from the start, I would suggest purchasing a 175g ss wizard (putter) and just go out and throw every day and try to keep the disc level, landing flat, etc, etc. Keep track of your distance. While trying to throw it straight and level, try to reach goals of 50,100,150,200,250ft. When you're approaching 200ft or more, you're well on your way! Good luck! But be warned...the game can be addicting. ;)

Latest posts