• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pier Park?

Snorkel not required. Course is in playable shape as far as water goes, but there are tons of evergreen branches and crap like that on the ground from storms over the past several weeks. Rollers beware.

domromer said:
I just played a round at Dexter and it was mostly underwater, hows Pier Park? I was thinking of coming up there next weekend, but won't bother if a need a snorkel. :?

too bad cause dexter rules! pier park i wasn't as impressed with... there's some beautiful shots and it's a great space but i find it's too easy to save par on. sure there's trees everywhere, but if you shank your drive you still have a decent look through the trees... as opposed to going into some super thick woods or behind some bushes (like it's very easy to do at dexter). you just don't get punished enough at pier park...

i've heard milo mcgiver is the cat's meow, too. and i can vouch for whistler's bend's awsome reputation.

From a golfing and par standpoint, Pier Park does not rate as high as many other courses do.

But from a beauty and aesthetics standpoint, it's one of the most beautiful courses I've played out of 150 nationwide over the last ten years.

I can attest that Pier Park is one of the nicest courses I've played...I guess it isn't as challenging as SOME courses, but it's far from the easiest I've played. it's accessible enough for beginners (next to impossible to lose a disc), but still challenging for more advanced players.

And jeezus Lung...that avatar...man, why do I feel like watching some hentai now? :lol:

From the viewpoint of someone who plays at Pier 4 days a week or so, you guys have some strange opinions about it.

Eric O said:
From the viewpoint of someone who plays at Pier 4 days a week or so, you guys have some strange opinions about it.

I don't see what's so strange about my opinion. Having played a wide variety (150+ and counting) of courses around the U.S. and Canada, it's obvious that Peir Park does not compare to other world class courses in terms of challenge & holes of higher par. The entire course is all par threes with several "tweener" holes that are tough threes with very few if any deuces, yet aren't challenging enough to be considered a pro par four hole for skilled golfers rated 950 and up. You go to some other elite courses and they have legitimate pro par four and pro par five holes that are 600-700 feet in length or greater. By scoring average, one could argue for hole 15 and 18 in the B position as borderline pro par four holes but not by number of full shots to the green. A skilled golfer is making a very shortish upshot to the green on those holes. A four feels like a bogey, not a par.

My wife and I played a few rounds at Pier Park this summer. We loved it.

Fun, and a variety of shots to use, and not too hot for summer golf.

the_lung said:
I don't see what's so strange about my opinion.
The odd thing is the twofold fact that everyone raves about the park's beauty while at the same time considering it low on the difficulty scale. It is right in the middle of an industrial district with a rail line going along one side of the park. Not that it isn't scenic in the interior, but I can think of several courses just here locally that blow it away as far as atmosphere and beauty.

As far as the difficulty, it's a very straightforward course, so I would place it somewhere right in the middle. Yep, they are all par 3s. I wouldn't consider any of them otherwise, even in the long B positions. Unlike so many other courses, however, there aren't any really easy deuce holes except maybe hole 2. You have to earn your deuces.

I think it's interesting that people on here are saying that Pier isn't very challenging, because relative to the other courses in the area I think it generally plays in a few more strokes. My hot scores at Pier where I play all the time are about the same as my averages on some of the courses I rarely visit.

I diefinitely agree that Pier doesn't punish you very much for bad throws. But it takes greater skill to fill the card with 2s than a lot of the other courses in the general Portland area.

If you are comparing it to world class courses, well I'm sure there is no comparison, but this is only a city park in a lower income part of town. Milo McIver is the place to go if that's what you are looking for.

For a course to be great needs to have scenic beauty and be challenging. Thats how I don't get that so many people love the fountain Hills course. It was the home course I learned on. People love it. I think it's challenging, but in terms of being scenic. I think it's pretty lame. Just a grassy park around a lake. With the highest fountain this side of the Mississippi.

To each there own I guess.

domromer said:
For a course to be great needs to have scenic beauty and be challenging. Thats how I don't get that so many people love the fountain Hills course. It was the home course I learned on. People love it. I think it's challenging, but in terms of being scenic. I think it's pretty lame. Just a grassy park around a lake. With the highest fountain this side of the Mississippi.

To each there own I guess.

What kind of things are more scenic than a world famous landmark fountain that attracts visitors from all over?!? The Fountain is listed in Guinness World Records as the tallest fountain in the world! From the center of a a 29-acre million gallon lake, it sends a snow-white jet stream of water 562 feet into the blue desert sky, and is visible for many miles! It spouts on the hour for 15 minutes every day from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m! It is the centerpiece and landmark of Fountain Hills, a community of rolling hills and spectacular mountain views!!!

Geez, I can't imagine what it would take for you to call a disc golf course scenic. :roll:

r u you joking, maybe we could all play golf In a shopping mall, Then there would be a food court, or we could go play in a huge suburb, I hear there are some huge ones out there!

wow a lake in the desert, lakes take a road trip.

Behold the majesty that is Fountain Hills.

This is why the Colorado river no longer reaches the Sea of Cortez. So we can have the world's largest fountain.

Latest posts