• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Pine

I was about to post the opposite in comparison to the compass. Isn't the Compass very HSS? While the pine have a US touch like the Buzzz? To me it flies like a Buzzz with more fade. Nice disc.

Hosted a challenge yesterday and the second round I scored as well as I usually do with full bag...

I was getting a Compass and hoping for a disc between the Bard and Warship and since Ricky and his big arm is using it I had high hopes. But either my form is really crap or he uses it at <70%. Actually I don't see him throw it too much, he is using either Harp or Felon most of the time. I was really disappointed of the Compass HSS and headwind abilities.

I had the same hope for the Pine to fill that in between role - maybe I just have to start throwing Bards at trees and roads instead and have some good broken in ones. I do have to test it in some stronger wind though to make conclusions. The Pine would be instantly in the bag if it would be really in the middle of Bard and Warship, maybe some different weights?

Just for the sake of completion: I did try both Pain and Mace as well to fill that slot. Both disappointed in windy conditions so I gave them away. Especially the Pain.

I was about to post the opposite in comparison to the compass. Isn't the Compass very HSS? While the pine have a US touch like the Buzzz? To me it flies like a Buzzz with more fade. Nice disc.

I was getting a Compass and hoping for a disc between the Bard and Warship and since Ricky and his big arm is using it I had high hopes. But either my form is really crap or he uses it at <70%. Actually I don't see him throw it too much, he is using either Harp or Felon most of the time. I was really disappointed of the Compass HSS and headwind abilities.

^^^ Agree. I found my Opto and Gold Line Compasses to be like the Buzzz, except that for me the Buzzz flew further.

Also, Ricky's signature is on the Compass, but it seems he throws the new Anchor when he wants a more OS disc in that range, and of course Ricky throws the Harp like nobody's business...

I had the same hope for the Pine to fill that in between role - maybe I just have to start throwing Bards at trees and roads instead and have some good broken in ones.

Do it! ☺ I have a beat in 172g TP Bard that goes very straight (and far) with minimal fade but virtually no turn.

^^^ Agree. I found my Opto and Gold Line Compasses to be like the Buzzz, except that for me the Buzzz flew further.

Also, Ricky's signature is on the Compass, but it seems he throws the new Anchor when he wants a more OS disc in that range, and of course Ricky throws the Harp like nobody's business...

Interesting! I have a mild storm raging on the island so hopefully I'll get some time and energy to do an comparison on the field.

I mostly throw my slightly beat in gold Compass but still have the idea that it's quite HSS even as it's gotten some glide (later fade) beaten in to it.

I'll be very surprised if the Compass doesn't come out as the most HSS of the three...

Feels like a rounder truth, more os than an emac with less glide. Big arms its going straight and fading nicely left. Slow arms its riding a hyzer the whole line. Good disc, possibly the best from the trilogy challenge

I did some field testing. 10+ throws with 2 fresh Pine, 1 fresh Compass, 1 beat in Compass, 1 fresh Z Buzzz (fancy Dye if it matters) & one slightly beat in Elite-Z Buzzz.

I definitely was surprised how close they all where! For some reason I had the idea that the Buzzz would be notebly less and Compass notebly more HSS.

If it wasn't due to variations in wind gusts I emagined noting a very slight HSS advantage in the fresh Compass but a slight distance advantage in the Pine (most throws around 250'+ where all discs would show some turn (slight tailwind)).

The beat in Compass & Elite-Z Buzzz flew notebly less stable (turnover with fade in headwind and like beauties in tailwind).

My conclusion is that for someone with my form, these 3 fly almost identical...

I threw the pine almost exclusively in the trilogy, and to pretty decent effect. Great hss, predictable fade and a lot of glide. It's actually pretty similar to my lucid verdict. More glide and a touch less low and high speed stability. Definitely longer though.
Thrown hard into a moderate head wind I got a little turn out of it, but it didn't stray too far.
It's in the bag for now, time will tell if I need the extra length over the verdict.
It's actually bumped my roc3 out for the time being, similar distance but a few more ticks of stability.

I am liking the Pine so far, solid disc. Longer than a Verdict, more LSS than a Truth. Good companion to the Warship. Do the production models usually come out similar to the TC versions with Westside?

Do the production models usually come out similar to the TC versions with Westside?

Ah, you've hit a sore spot there - the TC Elasto Sampo was/is a great disc. I've never thrown a production one, but there was a lot of buzz about how they had nowhere near the beef.

I would like to know if the glowing reports of the Pine are the production model as well.

Ah, you've hit a sore spot there - the TC Elasto Sampo was/is a great disc. I've never thrown a production one, but there was a lot of buzz about how they had nowhere near the beef.

I would like to know if the glowing reports of the Pine are the production model as well.

Yeah, I liked the Elasto Samp so much at the local TC that I bought 4 of them or traded from other people. The VIP release was garbage to be honest.. Just way to flippy brand new.

I have found in several cases examples of Elasto/Fluid/Frost versions of discs being noticeably more stable than VIP/Lucid/Opto counterparts. I wonder if it comes down more to the plastic itself than any retooling between event and general sales. Sadly, no more Fluid. Will need to rethink a couple of molds I count on Fluid for.

Thanks for the thoughts on Pine, btw - looking forward to this disc.

So, why isn't the stamp for this disc a...um...pine?!?

6395-2T.jpg

The pine is still holding the stable/os spot in my bag. I should probably get a fresh verdict for headwind duties when the wind is really screaming. But it holds up great in a moderate wind.

I really hope they can reproduce this mold for regular production, if not I guess it's back to the roc3, nothing wrong with the roc3 but this is a great disc.

Since the TC version was done in Lucid, I think the chances are good the production will be the same. I was worried about it because I really like it so I bought 3 TC versions just in case...

I'm not gonna lie, it's just as easy to mistake it for a stalk of broccoli.

In Finnish, Broccoli is called Parsakaali. You could go ahead and call it the Parsakaali and it sounds cool. "Shed those extra strokes with a steady diet of Parsakaali and increase the health of your mid game."

A whole line of vegetable themed discs could emerge actually. Let your mind contemplate this and figure out what kind of vegetable would suit each kind of disc, kind of fun actually.

Latest posts