• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pittsburgh Disc Golf

My last few rounds at Schenley have been slowed down quite a bit by the larger rec crowd that has been coming out on these sunny days. Nice to see for sure!

Phillips was pretty muddy after the last thaw. Most of that hill doesn't have any grass so this rain has really saturated everything. I had to kick off my shoes before each tee shot. Sticky stuff!

My last few rounds at Schenley have been slowed down quite a bit by the larger rec crowd that has been coming out on these sunny days. Nice to see for sure!

Phillips was pretty muddy after the last thaw. Most of that hill doesn't have any grass so this rain has really saturated everything. I had to kick off my shoes before each tee shot. Sticky stuff!
I like seeing new players on the course. It's the people who don't let you pass or play in groups of 6+ that ticks me off. I play pretty fast, and I like to keep it that way. Obviously during the summer I will not get to play as fast but at a place like knob and Schenley that get so packed on nice days, you get mad.

Every time I play Deer Lakes, I stand on the blue tee and shake my head…

I have a really weak arm, and watching these guys throw 500 feet then 350 feet uphill just astounds me. I play moraine and stand on the blue tee and imagine mcbeth throwing that huge sky anny on the first par 5. It's insane

Had another appointment at UPMC today. Got in 9 at Phillips before the appt. I really enjoy the course. It's obviously not tremendously long or technical. But I really enjoy the subtle shot shaping that's required to score well. Just a fun play.

The last course I played was Old Economy Park. After looking at the first three holes from tee #1, I wasn't looking forward very much to playing it. I was, however pleasantly surprised. Even #1 and #3 were a little interesting. I didn't find the #2 basket, and it looks like it would have been a totally dull hole anyway. The rest of the course kept my interest. Not great by a long-shot, but still pleasant enough.

Sandwiched in-between, though, was a different story. This course was a muddy mess. The natural tees were sloppy. The carpeted tees was saturated with water that pooled around my boots. The hillsides were treacherous in places because of the runoff. The flat fairways were under an inch or so of water in places. Some tee signs were hard to find. Some next hole signs were hard to find. And it was hard to determine which tee was which sometimes.

In spite of all of that. This course was the real winner... Probably my favorite 9 hole course ever and, at worst, in my top 3. The holes were all interesting and some were outstanding. There was great variety off of the tees. And the par fours were legit! I loved the landing zones and approaches on each of the par fours. The layout was simply wonderful. I would love to go back and play this course when it dries out and the amenities are improved. But, for now, the holes themselves speak volumes to me!

And what course is it that I'm talking about? Linbrook, of course. Awesome job Chris D. and company!!! Very well done! :clap::clap::clap:

You Pittsburghers sure have it rough with your lack of quality courses. ;) And I haven't even gotten to Knob, Deer or Moraine yet! What a great area for disc golf. Enjoy it!

Every time I play Deer Lakes, I stand on the blue tee and shake my head…

Hey, that's me at the start in the bottom left! Too bad the angle made it hard to time shots and I didn't really get many good ones from there.

1416_zpsfbn48qnz.jpg

So I'm headed to Pittsburgh in June, and I need a recomendation of what course I should play, as I will probably only have time to play one full course.

I have played the front nine of Deer Lakes, and plan on finishing that as well but I cant decide where to go next. I have a feeling you will all say Moraine, but you never know, Knob Hill looks great and Schenley would be a sweet place to take my family of newb discers; I like pitch n' putts anyhow.

Its too bad, I grew up in PGH but never disced till I moved, and THEN realized how many great courses yinz have.

So what shall it be folks???

Moraine.
No questions.

How can you pass up the 25th (deer lakes) and 26th (moraine) best courses in the world?

Glad this thread got a bump!

Start with Moraine and slippery rock on the first day, they are close to each other.

Plan a full day for deer lakes, that would be my reccomendation.

Hit up Linbrook and Knob Hill on the third day for a great dg trip!

Moraine it is! I'd love to play all of them, but I've got a Pirates game, a trip to Kennywood and a trip to Sandcastle as well on the agenda. I plan on at least finishing the back nine of Deer Lakes, so I can say I officially played the whole course. Thanks for the advice!

I moved to Southwest PA two years ago, and have played a total of one time. The nearest course is 45 minutes away, and the impressive ones are all more than an hour.. and with munchkins that is a big ask. However, this thread has reminded me how much I enjoyed playing disc golf, so maybe I will get back out there, even if it isn't as convenient as I would like lol

There are still alot of spots left in the Pro Pittsburgh Flying Disc Open. Make sure you sign up and play some great courses! It is July 30 and 31st. You will be severely disappointed if you miss out on this great opportunity.

Just gotta say, Moraine was gorgeous!!! Havent reviewed yet, but I figured I'd let yall know it was sweet.

And btw PENGUINS ARE THE BEST WOOHOO!!!! Skipped the Bucs game (they got crushed anyways) and watched game 6 from inside Consol with 16,000 other people. Got to finally be in downtown blasting my car horn after one of my teams won a championship. The parade was sick too.

Still alot of space left for the PFDO. Do not miss out on the greates event of the year.Come play some of the best courses in the country.

Playing Linbrook today I think. Man I hope the rumors of concrete tees and a back 9 are true! That place will be a true crown jewel if ever finished.

Latest posts