• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pittsburgh or Warwick NY

ReMix

I am looking to plan a weekend trip (no more than 5-6 hours from Buffalo, NY) and seemed to have narrowed it down to either Pitt or the Warwick area. Has anyone been to both of these spots and have any opinions? I've been to Pitt and know it can support a solid weekend of discin' but what about Warwick?

I have been to both areas. Pittsburgh wins easily! IMHO - both Moraine and Deer Lakes are superior courses to Brakewell Steel DGC. Knob Hill and Slippery Rock courses are an extra bonus.

You may want to consider the Allentown, Pennsylvania area. It is anchored by top rated Nockamixon and the other courses played at 2005 Pro Worlds. It is also only 5 hours from Buffalo, so it fits your criteria.

Nockamixon and Moraine are both top notch disc golf courses that would make either trip worthwhile.

I am looking to plan a weekend trip (no more than 5-6 hours from Buffalo, NY) and seemed to have narrowed it down to either Pitt or the Warwick area. Has anyone been to both of these spots and have any opinions? I've been to Pitt and know it can support a solid weekend of discin' but what about Warwick?
Absolutely, Catskills NY edges out Pitt/Allentown IMO albeit a bit more spread out... Frost Valley, Warwick/Oasis, Minekill, Joralemon. Kingston NY is about equidistance to all these courses.

While Pitt is mecca, if you've been there already, go to Warwick and play all 4 configurations (plus Wolf Woods). I loved the middle 9 at Joralemon and Frost is on my wish list.

camp gaw ski resort in bergen county nj is near warwick too. it's free to play and has two layouts. you play around the ski slopes and throw from 500ft elevated ski hill tee twice.

you can even accurately gauge the distance of your throw from 500ft up because the ski lift platform poles are 200ft apart.

the last hole on pro layout is a 1500 ft par 5 hole that ends on a island green. your first shot you can get a 700ft drive on. 2nd shot another 500ft (still downhill).

Thanks for all the suggestions, it looks like we've decided to check the Catskills area out. Hyzer Creek - Joralemon - Minekill - Frost Valley and finishing with anything we can squeeze out of Warwick (or have left in the tank) on a 3rd day.

Just returned from a weekend at Warwick. Second time I've made a weekend trip with friends. Can't say enough good things about the Brakewell/Steel Animals course - the four configurations offer a great deal of variety. Wolfe Woods and The Oasis are also both worth playing - effectively six different courses within a one-mile radius.

If you do go to Warwick, I recommend the Edenville Deli for lunch.

Thanks for all the suggestions, it looks like we've decided to check the Catskills area out. Hyzer Creek - Joralemon - Minekill - Frost Valley and finishing with anything we can squeeze out of Warwick (or have left in the tank) on a 3rd day.

I'm president of the local club DisCap that oversees these courses (except Frost Valley)
Just want you to be aware that these are pretty far away from each other. All great courses.

Frost Valley is John Houck design Champion level course. It's also $25 to play but that includes lunch buffet. Just call and get the details about playing Frost Valley before you go.

The other courses are under our club umbrella.
Mine Kill has 2 tees and 2 baskets 18 holes awesome course. A bit out in the middle of nowhere but worth the drive.
Joralemon has 28 holes with 10 new holes being added right now (for 38 total). They are rough around the edges with temp basket out there but they are playable. We are also upgrading from DB5s with added chains to discathers on the established holes. I think we have 15 installed right now.
Hyzer Creek is in the foothills of the Adirondacks. Awesome slice of disc golf heaven. We just had our April Showers tournament this past Saturday. Course is playing great.

I'd add to your list Wilcox park for some more epic golf. Blue tees are champion level par 72.

Some other good local courses Stonykill in Chatham, and Central Park in Schenectady.

Feel free to PM me any questions you may have and look for the DisCap fb group. Let us know when you are coming and maybe we can get some guides to show you the courses.

Some more info for you. It'll be hard to squeeze all these courses in 1 trip. Frost Valley is an all day event to play. Mine Kill has 4 layouts and you could spend a day playing it. Hyzer and J Park could be done in a day. There is a lot of hiking involved with playing these courses except J Park but J has 38 holes (10 newly installed but playable with flagged tees and temp baskets as we dial in the design). So make sure you bring lots of energy!!

What is the drive time from Warwick to Frost Valley and FV to Joralemon ?

Latest posts