• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Planning a trip from Toronto to DC...

aaronarndt

Hi all!

I am planning a trip from Toronto to Washington DC and back (on business), and thought I would drive and tour some of the courses on the way.

I don't have so much extra time to play many courses, so I thought I would post on the forum here to see if there were any "must play" courses on my route.

I am taking this route:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Brampton,+ON,+Canada&daddr=washington,+DC&hl=en&geocode=&mra=ls&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=37.052328,78.75&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=6

if a certain course is a bit out of the way, I don't mind, but I am hoping to remain efficient with my time. I am also hoping to camp one night each way, so the ability to camp on/near course would make a course more attractive to me.

I am hoping that the few courses I do play are the best the area can offer.
Kind of a shot in the dark here, but hey, why not?

-Double A.

Personal experience I would definetely play Whispering Falls in Greencastle PA or Paw Paw in West Virginia......These are 3 amazing courses and you will be relatively close to these courses as you pass through the PA, MD, WV area....you could hit one on your way down and the other on your way back. Whispering Falls is very underrated course especially if you go by the reviews on here...to me it is one of the best courses ever conceived or built. If you play Paw Paw you will be playing one of the mythical pilgrimmages of disc golf and will have that to chalk up on your resume. Have a great time on your disc golf vacation and don't let the business interfere too much!

I also would consider seneca as you arrive into DC area...I am curious about Prince Gallitzin State Park in upstate PA...its so isolated no one has played it but it looks interesting and seems to be on your way...I would not waste time with courses close to buffalo and rochester as you can do those on a day trip some time later...I hope that helps!

Hi Optidisc!

Thanks for the speedy reply! I didn't expect to hear back so quickly, so I am thrilled to already have some insight.

I'll do some research on the courses you mentioned. My trip wouldn't be until May 15-18, so I still have time to plan. I like your advice about the courses that are close to me already. I will do just that.

I was looking at Druid Hill Park in Baltimore MD, and Seneca Creek State Park in Gaithersburg MD as possible courses to play already, simply because they were close to DC. I see you mentioned Seneca in your reply, so I think that one is a definite.

I will make a four course schedule as a minimum. Two on the way down, and two on the way back. If I can fit in more, they would simply have to be on the way.

So far the courses I will consider are:

Seneca Creek State Park in Gaithersburg MD
Whispering Falls in Greencastle PA
Druid Hill Park in Baltimore MD
The Woodshed in Paw Paw WV

I'm looking for other possible targets along the route, so if anyone has further suggestions, I'm keen to hear.

I am still in the early planning stage, so I hope to continue looking for recommendations at this point.
Anyone keen for a round?

-ARA.

Hey Aaron,
If you need a guide for Seneca - I'd be happy to show you around. I am not only the course designer - but I only work 2 miles away :) If you are looking to camp nearby - as opposed to hotel (not sure what your business arrangements might be), there is camping about 5 miles away at Little Bennett Regional Park (you should be able to look it up online.)

Whispering Falls is a fun course - not sure I'd agree with opti about the best course ever conceived or built though - but definitely not out of your way. If you are able to acquire a map - I'd recommend it, as there are a couple big walks on the course that wlil confound you without a guide.

Paw Paw on the other hand is 2 full 18 hole courses that WILL be a little out of your way - close to an hour off the highway - and you should plan on spending a full day there - as trying to get there, play, and get out all in one day would be a heck of a travel day - good thing is you can definitely camp on site.

craiger#4010

PawPaw is a MUST -- best course experience imaginable. Definitely camp and play for a full day -- you'd be angry at yourself for doing anything else.

Looking at your trip, I'd recommend that either on the way down or on the way back up you take 79 through Pittsburgh, PA, instead of cutting through the middle of the state. That adds less than 100km to your trip, and because it is more highway, Google estimates it would add less than 20 minutes time. 79 through Pittsburgh runs right past Moraine, Knob Hill and Deer Lakes -- three of the top 50 courses in the country. Moraine is supposed to be ridiculous.

If I were you, I'd try to find an extra day of time, and hit at least two out of those three (or at the very least, hit Moriane), and then hit the two PawPaw courses, and then hit Seneca. Seneca is the best course in the D.C. area -- especially for the route you will be traveling.

And for you, taking 79 through Pittsburgh is far less out of your way than trying to hit somewhere like Druid Hill, which is probably an extra 150km and 2 hours of travel since it's not on your way.

Since you have the option to pass through Pittsburgh, I'd say it's a no-brainer.

If you've got time, Whispering Falls also has some very memorable holes -- it's far better in the long pins than in the short pins though, and they move them around. So it might or might not be worth the detour. Long pins = worth the detour; short pins = meh, not really.

So if you can carve the time, I'd plan to hit:

Moraine, Knob Hill, Deer Lakes, PawPaw (Woodshed & Whippin' Post), Whispering Falls, Seneca. That's seven of the best courses in the country. I'm jealous right now, just thinking about the trip. If you have to shorten that list, I'd cut Deer Lakes and Whispering Falls. Both are detours from the main route. PawPaw is a detour, too, but SOOO worth it.

Have a great trip. Keep us posted here, and if there is a way to join you out at Seneca, I'd be happy to do so. If you have to pick, take Craigg over me -- he's one of our top local pros and a fantastic person to play disc golf with, as well as someone with a deep knowledge of the history of disc golf -- both in this area and at large. I think he's been 1000-rated since long before most of the people on this board had even heard of disc golf.

Have a great trip.

Emery Park, Beaver Island, and Como Park all in the Buffalo area. Those in my opinion are the best three we have. Hitting any one would be well worth it.

Like everyone said about Paw Paw, its a whole full day to play there.

Either drive and show up there early in the morning and play all day which you only can play one round each courses (both courses are very BIG) and then back on the road by at nighttime. If you want two rounds, then better make a campsite on the property (with payment, of course) and then you can bounce out by tomorrow late afternoon after playing both courses once again since you should know what it looks like this time and hope to lower your scores from the first time. :)

Other than that, you should check out Rochester (45 min east of Buffalo) on the way to check out any 8 different courses within 35 miles radius near either HWY 390 or 590 or 490. You want try difficult wooded course? Go to Basil Park. Want very open field made for bombers or newbies? Go to Baker Farm or Churchville Park. Want to see the local oldest championship-caliber course? Go to Ellison Park. Then you can able to drive down on 390S directly to Corning, NY to check out a nice simple course at Denison Park.

After that, you're entering PA and nearing D.C....:D

I would agree that a swing by Pittsburgh would be worth your while...Paw Paw and Seneca to me are no brainers.....I never said Whispering Falls is the greatest conceived or built...I said it was ONE of the best...if you go there you will see the scale and immense undertaking of that project and understand what I meant...I have only played 51 course to date but I think it has some very memorable holes and the overall scale and piece of land are not easily matched IMHO and I have played some top ranked courses. You really can't go wrong a chance to play 7 of the best courses in the country is quite a thrill. You may consider IUP lodge in Indiana PA its a converted ski lodge along your trip that has some fine reviews and may offer a different experience if memorable is what you aim for! I am jealous I wish my job sent me on disc golf errrr business trips like this!

Great Community!

Wow!

I am overwhelmed! First, thank you to everyone here for your replies and generosity. There really is a lot of information here.

I will take my time and consider your suggestions and advice, and of curse all the courses mentioned, all of which is sincerely appreciated. You guys are awesome!

It sounds like one thing is for sure: Paw Paw is a definite! I took a closer look, and the course looks like nothing I've played. It's frankly rather intimidating. You are right though, it looks like a large commitment of time, but the fact that I could camp on site sounds great. Thanks for the head's up on that. Seneca looks like a great fit also.

Hey again Opti! I think I may just have to fit in Whispering Falls just to see what you mean. 51 courses! wow! it sounds like I am getting some advice from a truly great source. Thanks so much! I will definately let you know what comes from all this, and let you know how things go afterwards.

It would be great to also play at least one course further up north to space them along the drive. So, I will likely plan to play one of the courses DDG and rikardo recommend. I'd prefer to play in the daylight, and drive at night, so I hope I can find a schedule that works. I may add a day extra to give me some extra freedom as Tim recommended also.

For now, I will just say thank you and take a close look at all this information. I will get a better idea of my time line, and plan from there. Then I will put up a tentative plan, and open it to critique and further suggestion.

As for a round in Seneca, let's do it! It would be awesome to have a tour from the course designer! Thanks so much for the offer. I do hope to take you up on it. I'm not the best player around, but I have my good days, and I don't mind being a few strokes back. Let's get a full round in, so come all and bring some friends!

Again, I will take some time with this info, and post back soon.

Many, many thanks,
Aaron Arndt.

Also, thanks Tim for the head's up with directions. I wasn't so particular when I plotted that route, it was just a vague idea for the direction of travel. I will plot the route according to what courses I choose, but hopefully at that point I can ask you if you have any more specific route ideas. I am not at all familiar with the areas... :p

If you're in Toronto anyways, check out Toronto Island. It's supposed to be pretty tough. It's one of Avery Jenkin's favorties as well.

Maryland and your proposed route

Given your proposed route, Seneca is indeed a no-brainer.

I see you also mentioned Druid in Baltimore, hinting you're willing to drive up I95 to Baltimore, then maybe I70 west on your return. If so, you should definitely consider Rockburn and/or Patapsco. Rockburn in particular is very convenient to I95, and as a volunteer guide for the course, I'd be happy to show you around the course.

Read the reviews for these four Maryland courses, and decide which would best fit your goals!

I was looking at Druid Hill Park in Baltimore MD, and Seneca Creek State Park in Gaithersburg MD as possible courses to play already, simply because they were close to DC. I see you mentioned Seneca in your reply, so I think that one is a definite.

Seneca Creek State Park in Gaithersburg MD
Whispering Falls in Greencastle PA
Druid Hill Park in Baltimore MD
The Woodshed in Paw Paw WV

I'm looking for other possible targets along the route, so if anyone has further suggestions, I'm keen to hear.

Anyone keen for a round?

-ARA.

Many thanks to a great community; tentative plan.

Hi again all!

With your help, I have a much better idea of an itinerary...

My schedule on the way down is the most rigid. The earliest I can leave is 4:30pm from Toronto on Thursday, and I have to be in DC Friday night. So, my thinking was this: I could get to the Niagara area by around 6:00-6:30pm leaving 2-2.5hours to play a round before dark in that area Thursday night. I was looking at Beaver Island State Park Grand Island, NY, since it is about the right distance from me to fit in this narrow window of time. Though, I am tempted to drive the extra distance to play at Black Diamond DGC @ Emery Park. Either way, I would play a round there before dark, then continue the drive for a few hours before finding a place to camp for the night.

I would need to choose a course to play between Niagara and DC. My gut tells me to drive the three hours at this time (at night, ~8pm-11:30pm) and get close to Moriane, by taking I90 and I79 towards Pittsburgh as Tim mentioned (thanks Tim), find a place to camp, and play Moriane on Friday morning on my way down.

Friday morning, I would get up early and play a round at Moriane (or alternative), and finish up there by mid day, and do the rest of my driving towards DC. I would get near DC by Friday evening, and I hope to play nice round at Seneca early Friday evening (it's about 4.5 hours from Moriane to Seneca). Still up for a round, boys? Sorry to dictate the schedule, but as you can see I'm a bit fixed.

I am staying with a close friend in DC Friday night, and working all day Saturday but should have enough time in the evening to throw a round in at Bluemont Park in Arlington, WV before dark.

Assuming I like that course, I would likely do the same on Sunday evening after I finish work, and stay again in DC Sunday night. I am open to perhaps throwing a round of glowie at a course that is close to downtown DC, but only if it is really worth the extra miles/time. I would only play glowie if I was with local players. Bluemont looks like the right alternative. Plus, a friend or two from the area may join me Sunday evening if I play close to downtown. They would be disc golf rookies, which is always an interesting experience.

Monday, I would get up early and play a full round at the two courses in Paw Paw. I am already really excited about that. I am aiming to leave DC by 9am, and spend a full day there.

From there, I think I am open. I hope not to be frolfed-out by that point, and assuming I am not, I would drive north from there into the night, and camp somewhere, and play one more course in the early morning on the way home. It would have to be farther north, at least to the north of the Pittsburgh area as to split up the drive. I should be in back in Toronto Tuesday afternoon/evening, but haven't fixed that as of yet. Knob Hill would be awesome to aim for, or Moriane again, but Chestnut Ridge or Emery Park (if I didn't play it on the way down) make sense if my time is tight. If I can swing it, this is where I would take an extra day, perhaps playing my favourite course a second time (or even camp in Paw Paw as DDG mentioned, and play it twice, that sounds awesome) or fit in another. I will have to see what time I can afford as the trip gets closer, and of course see just how bad I get whipped by the post.

I realize that many of the courses mentioned by you all I am skipping, but I hope I am making the right choice by staying efficient with my time. Here is a list of the courses you have all mentioned in this thread, and obviously, I can't play them all, so I had to cut down from the list:

1. Druid Hill Park Baltimore, MD
2. Rockburn Branch Elkridge, MD
3. Patapsco Valley State Park Marriottsville, MD
4. Seneca Creek State Park Gaithersburg, MD
5. Baker Farm Chili, NY
6. Basil Marella Park Greece, NY
7. Beaver Island State Park Grand Island, NY
8. Black Diamond DGC @ Emery Park South Wales, NY
9. Chestnut Ridge Park Orchard Park, NY
10. Churchville Park Churchville, NY
11. Como Lake Park Lancaster, NY
12. Denison Park Corning, NY
13. Ellison Park Rochester, NY
14. Deer Lakes Park Tarentum, PA
15. IUP College Lodge Indiana, PA
16. Knob Hill Park Warrendale, PA
17. Moraine State Park Portersville, PA
18. Prince Gallitzin State Park Patton, PA
19. Whispering Falls DGC Greencastle, PA
20. The Woodshed Paw Paw, WV
21. Whippin' Post Paw Paw, WV

...after seeing the list in full, do any others stand out as "must plays"? ...I am still open to moving things around if I have to. What would your top 7 (or so) be (ranking)?

My definites:
20. The Woodshed Paw Paw, WV *1*
21. Whippin' Post Paw Paw, WV *2*
17. Moraine State Park Portersville, PA *3*
4. Seneca Creek Park Gaithersburg, MD*4*

Courses of convenience:
7. Beaver Island State Park Grand Island, NY
Bluemont Park in Arlington, WV

Possibles on way home [or]:
16. Knob Hill Park Warrendale, PA
9. Chestnut Ridge Park Orchard Park, NY
8. Black Diamond DGC @ Emery Park South Wales, NY

Anyway, for now this is as far as I have planned. As I mentioned, I am open to critique if anyone has suggestion or comment. You have all been extremely generous with your time and advice.

Also, I do hope to meet up with local players, and the round at Seneca should already be a good one. I will be sure to IM both Craig and Tim as my trip gets closer.

It would be great to play Opti in Whispering Falls, I am really curious to see this course is all about. I will definitely keep you updated if I can fit that in. Any chance you want to join us at Seneca?

Deepest and sincerest thanks,
Aaron Richard Arndt.

Last edited:
Aaron,

It's going to take you approximately 2 hours with a guide to play Sceneca (27 holes). The gates close at sunset (probably around 8:00pm in the middle of May). To be safe, you should probably get there around 5:00 - 5:30 pm, is that doable?

Of these:
1. Druid Hill Park Baltimore, MD
2. Rockburn Branch Elkridge, MD
3. Patapsco Valley State Park Marriottsville, MD
19. Whispering Falls DGC Greencastle, PA

My preferences would be:
Patapsco - along with Seneca, best course in MD. Convenient to I70. Just west of Baltimore.
Whispering Falls - great demanding course, near Hagerstown MD off of I70 & I81 intersection
Rockburn - very close second behind Seneca and Patapsco as Md's best. Convenient to I95, just south of Baltimore.
Druid is in the city, so getting in and out of the city may be time consuming.

Hope this helps.

You won't be disseminated with Beaver Island. It's beautiful. Heading there today. I looked for the Pawpaw course on the database here with no results. Could someone link me to it?

replies...

Hi Dwill! Wow, thanks for that head's up. I think if I play early in the morning, I can make it by then. You may have saved me some real stress on that one. Thanks. I will budget my time accordingly. Will you be joining us for the round? :)

Rikardob, definately take a look at the courses in Paw Paw, WV. They really look to be awesome. I am hoping for a great experience, though am a little intimidated. There are two, on adjacent properties:

The Woodshed [LINK]
Whippin' Post [LINK]

Hope that helps. :)

-Adotcom.

Woodshed and Whipping post are actually on the same piece of property -- courtesy is to contact the owners before showing up to let them know you will be coming.

I think you've definitely narrowed down the list to the best "must play" courses. Woodshed/Whippin'Post/Moraine/Seneca will not disappoint. I'm jealous of your trip.

Bluemont is a very fun place and very convenient -- great locals will show you around. Three teepads on each hole offer a lot of variety -- the blue tees are awesome. Great challenge... you'll enjoy getting in a few rounds there while you are in the city. it's the closest course to me, so my odds are decent of getting to show you around out there.

However, odds of me being at Seneca on a Friday evening are close to zero -- too far in traffic for me to make it. Hopefully craig or some other local can be there to show off the course.

Enjoy the trip -- really does sound amazing. If it were me, I would try to hit knob hill on the way home.

And as far as pawpaw goes, if it were me, I would try to leave D.C. really early,before traffic (6 or 6:30 a.m.), get to PawPaw ~9 a.m., and play four rounds out there, camp there that night, and then drive to Knob Hill the next morning on the way home.

But then, I'm a glutton and will happily play 100+ holes a day when I get the chance. And not 100-holes of pitch and putt, but 100 holes of monster golf... ah love those days.

I'm hoping to get my brother out to PawPaw sometime before too long and get at least 3-rounds on each course during the same day. 108+ holes of brutality. Whoop!

Hi Dwill! Wow, thanks for that head's up. I think if I play early in the morning, I can make it by then. You may have saved me some real stress on that one. Thanks. I will budget my time accordingly. Will you be joining us for the round? :)

I'd loved too, but Friday rush hour in DC is brutal, so I highly doubt it. I hope you link Seneca, I think you will. I'd be interested in hearing how you think it compares to Moraine, which I've heard nothing but good things about.

I can't believe noone has even mentioned Giles Run to you!

A short drive down I-95 south from DC/NOVA in Lorton, VA, is Giles Run, a new course that's definately worth the trip. It's 18 holes with dual pads AND holes on every hole, if you play white to white, it's a monster, and you will go over 3 miles in your round through some of the most beautiful scenery I've ever seen on a Disc Golf Course. It is on par with Seneca Creek, but does have some rough edges, as it's a new course, and there are lots of thorns so be warned, and be prepared with long pants, a disc retriever and water.

If you're looking to hook up when your in the area, look me up. I'd love to show you around.