• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Play Better Alone vs With Group?

I definitely play better with others. I need that positive reinforcement. If I play by myself, there is no one else around to tell me that I don't suck, and I quickly become my own worst enemy.

my first two games i had a friend with me. every game since i've played alone.

and my first two games were horrible. so i'd agree with alone hahahaha but my input isn't worth jack

my first two games i had a friend with me. every game since i've played alone.

and my first two games were horrible. so i'd agree with alone hahahaha but my input isn't worth jack

I'd wager that everybody's first two games were horrible. If they say otherwise, they be lyin'.

I play a lot better during solo rounds. I'm completely comfortable with the pace of play and there are few distractions to break concentration on the task at hand. Usually, the more people on the card or the slower the pace of play, the worse I play.

Golf is an individual sport. But i think the ultimate dynamic is with group play.

I have always been a bit of a loner and probably have more alone rounds under my belt than with groups. I would like to change that.

But the idea of a quite morning round in the summer with one lonesome self to hear your mind chatter sounds quite nice!

Until I got used to playing with a group, I tended to play better alone. Once I got over my nervousness of sucking it up bad in front of people, I actually started playing better in a group. My solo rounds now just seem to be for practice, I throw multiple shots and practice putting so I don't even know now how I would play if I kept it a strict round.

One caveat though, I tend to not play very well if I'm in a group of people I find either rude, boring or perpetually induced with substances, the rounds take too long, the conversation and competition gets boring and I just shoot to get it over with.

Statistically, we know players on average play worse the higher the tier of competition and/or money/prizes at stake which would make sense why more players seem to indicate they play better alone.

Absolutely. I actually prefer to play alone. I get in a groove, talk to myself, keep a consistent pace and only think about what im doing. I love chatting about disc golf for sure and always learn alot from others. But, when im teeing off, the last thing im interested in is whatever the last person just said. Its a whole different place for me. On top of that, ive never once been able to keep up with my score while engaged in ongoing conversation throughout the round. Once it gets to the point of being social, the round becomes just for fun and i loose mental commitment.

...if I'm in a group of people I find either rude, boring or perpetually induced with substances, the rounds take too long, the conversation and competition gets boring and I just shoot to get it over with.

I agree. I really only go to the disc golf course to play disc golf. Its cool to find like minded people. But if someone is trying to play a round with me, and they only came to hang out, then i fail to see their logic.

It could be just the pace of play. Playing alone you can get in a groove and it's a short wait between throws.

This, so much this. Biggest reason by far I'm not taking part in any tournaments. Yesterday, we were playing behind a group of four. On several holes, we'd wait for them to clear out to the next tee, play the hole (two of us), get to the next tee and NONE of the four had even thrown their teeshots yet, just lollygagging, chatting around, only asking once we were already on the tee "oh, who's got the box?" Solo, it's just zoom, zoom, zoom. Tournament pace, people play one round in the same time I'll play at least two, maybe three playing solo. Stupid, garbage waste of time. Need to ban chairs so people will actually throw discs instead of just sitting and chatting :mad: .

My scoring is pretty much the same in solo rounds and tournament rounds, but casual group rounds are typically at least 2-3 throws higher. Those extra strokes are putts. In a casual group, I won't always settle completely into the putt. Not a problem for me playing solo, with a buddy, or in a tournament. But put me is a group playing for fun and I'll make at least a couple more 2-putts than usual.

I am not considering this to be a problem. It seems I can 'serious myself up' when score makes a difference.

Practice alone is my preferred because I can focus, throw multiple discs, different line, etc. but for playing, never. I enjoy playing with my friends so I can celebrate their accomplishments and they can celebrate mine. I just can' see playing without my friends. I was the same with ball golf. The only thing I ever liked doing alone, sports-wise, was running. I hated running with other people, who either ran too slow, too fast, talked a lot, etc.

I just started playing with groups other than my family that I started playing with about 3 months ago. I kick Azz with them. I've played with 2 other groups in the last week, not nervous at all and I played horrible. Double my average on a course I play literally 6-7 days a week weather permitting.

I wish I knew why. I'm telling them I play this course every day and I come in dead last at the clubs random doubles Saturday.. smh... There is no way, my score was the same as my girlfriend that is recovering from ACL sugery. Easily 10+ strokes more than my average.

First of all, I do not play tournaments. When playing solo, I get lost in the game. My total focus is on each shot, form and strategy. and I'm very conscious of my score. It's the most enjoyable time playing disc golf for me.

When I play with others, it's a social event for me. Talking and sharing a laugh with the others in my group, and watching and commenting about each other's shots. I try to play decent so as not to embarrass myself, but I'm just not very competitive in group play.

I don't know what it is but I always play better alone then I do in a group and I'm not sure why. I can go out and shoot under on a given course and then go there for a random dubs or singles function and stink it up almost every time. After 17 years I've kind of learned to accept it but it still bugs me a little. If I had to guess Id say for what ever reason I loss that mental focus in a group and I'm not as sharp. Anybody else have that issue and if so what are some things you've done to overcome it?

I tend to play better with a group. Solo rounds I mess around with different shots I wouldn't normally take, practice, and throw 2nd/3rd drives sometimes, and very rarely keep an actual score. With a group, I take it more serious and play a real game.

I don't know if I play better or worse by myself or in a group. The thing about playing alone there is too much temptation to throw multiple times if I wasn't happy with my original drive or want to see if I should have used a different disc. So then am I really playing round or just practicing? I guess casual rounds with friends one does it too, but I tend to try concentrating on the one throw when I play with others.

I had 18 aces the other day playing alone, I'll show you the scorecard.

In all seriousness, I tend to be more risky when playing alone, I'll try different lines and I'll try new plastic during solo rounds. When playing in a group I tend to play safer.

Latest posts