• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Playin' in the Rain.

Rain rounds are fun because:

1. They don't happen very often here
2. The lines at the tees can't be beat
3. All courses become DG exclusive

Rain has never really affected the actual flight of the disc for me. I tried playing in a poncho once...yeah don't do that. Keeping discs dry is a pain in the ass, but its a small price to pay for a little exclusivity.

no real tips for keeping dry or anything....i'm with the thread starter on the whole just get wet and get used to it thing. gotta say the way the water flings horizontally off the rim of the discs as you release them, especially when there is a heavy vertical downpour, is a pretty cool thing to see. :p

playin' in the rain Part II

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2679&highlight=playin'+rain

My Story:
Going into the last round on day 2, I was in 5th looking to place in my first Advanced tournament. Forecast called for rain and colder temps. I did the usual and packed a bath towel and a couple smaller towels. Let's just say the rain got to me pretty bad. Ended up shooting an 87 on a par 63. I wish I would've found zenbot's "playin' in the rain" thread before hand. Some real good points and advice. Let's just say I didn't even place and finished close to DFL. I'm starting Part II for:

1. The Spring time rains are approaching!
2. The old forum was more that 176 days old so posting to it was a no go.

Share you thoughts on mental toughness through the steady rains and standing water on the course. What it takes to get through it and products or routines you use that have helped your drenched rounds considerably?

You can post in old threads. You just check the box that says you acknowledge that it's old.

thanks man! sorry about that. I still would like to hear people's stories and ways they keep their heads in the game.

Last edited:
I played a round in the rain Saturday at the Alabama Slammer college disc gf tournament. It poorer rain for 4 hours straight! It was miserable!

the best part of rain is a less crowded course

yeah.. I can definitely see that. Footing and running out of dry towels seemed to me my major issue this past weekend. Mental game is definitely what killed my round. I didn't have a lot of confidence in my footing.. my grip.. so shots weren't going where I wanted them too.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2679&highlight=playin'+rain

My Story:
Going into the last round on day 2, I was in 5th looking to place in my first Advanced tournament. Forecast called for rain and colder temps. I did the usual and packed a bath towel and a couple smaller towels. Let's just say the rain got to me pretty bad. Ended up shooting an 87 on a par 63. I wish I would've found zenbot's "playin' in the rain" thread before hand. Some real good points and advice. Let's just say I didn't even place and finished close to DFL.

Oh so you were at DBs too, yeah day 2 sucked. I didn't play well all weekend. I missed 8 putts inside of 15' in the rain because my disc was slick and those swingin baskets don't catch very well to begin with. I think both of my towels were screwed after the fifth hole.

For the record, par is technically 69 out there even though the scores were calculating everything par 3. I shot an 87 in the rain too so don't feel to bad. I wish I could of played like I did in my practice round when I didn't go OB and shot a 75 even though I wasn't making very many putts. After three rounds I went OB 10 times, three of those times were after hitting chains, once my disc went straight through the chains and then in to the creek on 4.

I found the best thing to do in the rain was standstills, one steps or FH's. At first I was trying to take my normal x step and it was really ****ing me up because i was more worried about falling than getting a good shot off. I also plan to invest on a birdie bag.

Last edited:
If you live in the Pac NW, you get used to rain.

I go the opposite of Zennys original post, I stay dry, and keep my discs dry, it more comfortable in most cases than going the full immersion method.

Keep extra towels, and dry clothing in the car to change into between rounds.
Wear poly, cotton doesnt dry out, it just gets itchy.

Get a good pullover raincoat with a hood. Pullover because zippers can get in the way of a throw. Wear a cap under the hood to keep rain off your face.

Carry hot hands, they work when wet, and they will keep your throwing hand warm between shots.

This weekend is the AZ Cactus Series Championships. Right now I am sitting in first place but not by much, which means I need to bring my A-game this weekend. The only problem is that the weather forecast calls for rain. Being in Arizona, I have very little experience in wet conditions. I need any advice you can offer. The last thing I want to is to play like crap because I'm not prepared.

I have an umbrella, rain pants, rain jacket, and Gore-tex shoes. Is there anything else I should be bringing? Any advice on technique changes? Shot selection?

*I already tried the forum search feature, but kept getting an error message.

From Arizona as well, rain is not in our fore (cast)

I would use a caddie and a LARGE umbrella. Tuck a towel up in the umbrella suspension for drying then the caddie backs off, throw, back under. With a breathable rain shell, life shouldn't be too wet, manageable.

Rain has never really affected the actual flight of the disc for me.

That's about all I could find in reading the entire merged thread.

When I fly my hang glider through rain, water beads up on the leading edges and turbulates the air over the foil causing the glider to lose lift, fly faster and stall easier/harder. I have no idea if rain effects disc flight, if it makes discs less stable with less glide???

The disc flys the same?

One of you has a lot of experience sending discs in the pouring rain, what gives? Light rain no effect, pouring rain disc won't go?

the rain is going to change the flight of the disc, it's just physics. whether or not that effect will be noticeable is another story. my guess is light rain doesn't do much once the disc is in the air but a heavy downpour would probably push the disc down and cause drag.

Portland Oregon in fall,winter, and spring means rain. I dropped over 400 dollars on clothes that are light keep me warm and dry. Also sealskin socks are awesome. I bring an umbrella more towels than Ill think I need and hand warmers. It is so worth it as I have no trouble in rain. Preparation is key. The clothes I wear is all asics underarmor gear.

I'm always prepared for rain. I figure getting wet is inevitable so I just always wear a speedo under my clothes that way when my clothes start to get wet I just take them off. I also have some zip up the side platform boots that I wear to keep me up out of the water and keep my feet dry. I wear one of those umbrella hats to keep my mascara from running. To keep my discs from slipping I wear chain mail gloves. To prevent chaffing I put on a generous layer of Vasaline before round and then re-apply about every six holes.

Here's a hint: Don't forget to remove your gloves before re-applying your Vasaline.

Last edited:
I live in the PacNW too, but have gotten to the point where I won't play in consistent rain. You do reach a point, even with an umbrella and a ton of microfiber towels, that stuff stays wet. Nothing pisses me off more than a driver slipping out of my hands early.

I look at radars and percent chance a lot.

Latest posts