• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Playing with chronic joint issues

GoobyPls

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Found out today I've got arthritis in my rear foot. That means I'm stuck with it for the rest of my life, impacting all kinds of activities. I'd like to keep playing if possible, as I'm not even 40 yet. Have any of you older players dealt with this? Did you modify your game to account for it?

Aleve, Bio-freeze and a Theracane for afterwards. While that regimen is mostly for sore muscles, by relieving the swelling associated with muscle overuse you will help the joint pain.

Found out today I've got arthritis in my rear foot. That means I'm stuck with it for the rest of my life, impacting all kinds of activities. I'd like to keep playing if possible, as I'm not even 40 yet. Have any of you older players dealt with this? Did you modify your game to account for it?

I'm 58 and dislocated my right hip 23 years ago, which resulted in necrosis and lifetime arthritis.

I have adapted by keeping my weight really low and modifying my activities. I don't bear more weight than is comfortable (small light bag) and short, or no, run up. No courses with major elevation, etc.

Multiple dislocations and two surgeries on my throwing shoulder. I'm only 36, so doc said I've got 20+ years to go before they'll replace it.
I only throw forehand now, and I'm careful with footing. If a shot is at all risky, I just pitch out to something I'm comfortable with. No heroics.
I figure if I'm going to be sore just sitting around then I might as well be sore from being active. **** letting it slow me down any more than is necessary.

Was just recently diagnosed with moderate arthritis in my right knee. Asked the ortho about throwing disc, specifically about bracing for backhands, and was told I can keep doing that. No running, no carrying heavy weights. Some PT exercises for strenthening the muscles surrounding the joint. And directions to keep being active and playing.

Aleve, Bio-freeze and a Theracane for afterwards. While that regimen is mostly for sore muscles, by relieving the swelling associated with muscle overuse you will help the joint pain.

Any cream with menthol and/or methyl salicylate provides relief.

It would be easier to list the joints I DON'T have pain in. And having just had a bout with Lyme disease, I have an idea what extreme joint pain is all about. You just have to keep moving and lubricating those joints, it's the only way. Resting and relying on pain meds is not an option if you want to continue to be active. I know there's a rocking chair in my future, but I hope it's a long way off, and I want to delay that for as long as possible.

You could try switching to a Ketogenic Diet or low carb to help with inflammation. You can also try a high quality fish oil, UC-II undenatured type 2 collagen and that illegal thing that some disc golfers love to do. They are all anti inflammatory and will help with joint pain. Not too sure on the effects that all that will have on arthritis but there are plenty of articles out on the web talking about the benefits of a better diet and how it effects arthritis.

These, in particular.

It would be easier to list the joints I DON'T have pain in. And having just had a bout with Lyme disease, I have an idea what extreme joint pain is all about. You just have to keep moving and lubricating those joints, it's the only way. Resting and relying on pain meds is not an option if you want to continue to be active. I know there's a rocking chair in my future, but I hope it's a long way off, and I want to delay that for as long as possible.

You could try switching to a Ketogenic Diet or low carb to help with inflammation. You can also try a high quality fish oil, UC-II undenatured type 2 collagen and that illegal thing that some disc golfers love to do. They are all anti inflammatory and will help with joint pain. Not too sure on the effects that all that will have on arthritis but there are plenty of articles out on the web talking about the benefits of a better diet and how it effects arthritis.

Suffering mild arthritis in my knee, the important thing is to keep using it. It's counter-intuitive, and of course a little painful, but rest is far worse. I was surprised to find that a bicycle is the absolutely best thing for it (after the first half-mile).

I take NSAIDs sparingly, saving them for when I know it's going to be tough (like a tournament).

I suffer from arthritis in my right foot, knees, and hands. As others have said, the best thing to do is to stay pretty active and keep those joints moving. Low-impact exercise can really help keep things loose.

I agree on the NSAIDs. I don't like masking pain, I would rather know if it's getting worse (or better) and I don't want to become dependent on anything to keep me going. Sooner or later I'll need some pain relief, but later is better. I also highly recommend bike riding, it's kept my knees in shape and they are the only major joints that don't hurt.:thmbup:

My guess is the bicycle is great for knees because it's a lot of motion, but no impact.

Not sure what you'd do with a foot, in the same vein.

Since we are listing injuries . . . :D . . . My RHBH plant knee has degenerative arthritis and not much cartilage left. Shoulders are messed up from years of swimming and water polo. I can no longer do most of the sports I enjoy.

Disc golf is about the only sport left, so I am trying to preserve that as a long-term activity.

Did I modify my game? Absolutely! I have completely revamped my backhand and sidearm throws. The end result is about the same distance I had before, but much less wear and tear on creaky joints.

One other thought: You might find some benefit in trying out different shoes and socks, possibly with the help of a podiatrist or rheumatologist. I do not have arthritis in my feet, but they used to ache after a long round until I switched shoes and started wearing thick winter socks (even in the summer), mostly for the extra padding.

Good luck!

I don't know that I have arthritis, and frankly, I don't want to know. I have had joint pain sometimes, though, especially knees, sometimes elbows. It's been bad enough to make me limp and curtail activity because of the pain. I have found that as long as I am taking a joint supplement I'm alright, as long as I am not putting unnatural stress on the joints. The latter meant modifying (and still working on it) my backhand follow through, but that need(ed)(s) work any way.

The joint supplement is Irwin Naturals' 3-in-1 Joint Formula. (It has Glucosamine Sulfate, which is thought to be the best way to get glucosamine, as well as MSM and Chondroitin.) I actually notice the effectiveness of this, which is something that I can't say about most supplements. I don't even have to take the full 6 soft gels a day--2 or 3 a day, 1/3 or 1/2 the dose, regularly, and I don't have any joint problems unless I do something wrong. I like Irwin Naturals because most of their supplements use fish oil as a binding agent, rather than cellulose or something else that is not useful to the body and that results in a hard, hard to digest pill.

When I was evaluated for VA disability I was diagnosed with moderate to severe arthritis in my neck, lower back, left & right hips, and left shoulder. I also have a 50% torn right Achilles tendon and an unrepairable dislocated left thumb. And of course I'm left handed. The only medications I take are about 5, 800mg ibuprofens and maybe 5 muscle relaxers a week. I use "herbal" medication several times throughout the day. I'm not bitching or saying, poor me. But rather I'm trying to point out 2 things.

First off, as we used to say in the Coast Guard, "Suck it up Sailor." Arthritis doesn't get better as you age. But if you want a good quality of life you can't let aches and pains slow or stop you from what you love to do. Use it, or lose it, as they say.

Second, you also have to know and listen to your body. If you push it you don't want to break things. So if you're body is telling you to ease up, do it. Also while you're young play it for the long haul. Life is a marathon not a sprint. Eat right. Stretch. Stay active. Feed your mind.

And finally, have FUN!

Watch out for too many purines in your diet (Examples of high-purine sources include: sweetbreads, anchovies, sardines, liver, beef kidneys, brains, meat extracts (e.g., Oxo, Bovril), herring, mackerel, scallops, game meats, beer (from the yeast) and gravy) and cut out sugar and high fructose corn syrup. These are the major culprits to inflammation of the joints. I have arthritis and it's a lot worse if I eat too much meat and seafood, especially organ meats. It's OK to drink beer in moderation, but if you drink too much the yeast will have the same effect and cause inflammation. Cutting your grain consumption will help too, as it will help you to lose weight faster. (If it's fed to livestock to fatten them up, it fattens you up too.)

Also... I know this is a lot of stuff all at once... Omega 6 fats are very bad for you without large quantities of Omega 3 fats. You should shoot for a 15 to 1 ratio in favor of Omega 3 fats. In other words, don't eat Omega 6 fats if you can avoid it. These include corn oil, safflower oil, soybean oil. If you are male, you should stay away from soy in all forms except traditionally fermented (expensive tofu) types. All other forms decrease your testosterone by quite a bit, but that's another issue entirely. Just avoid soy. It's tough these days. You'll end up cooking a lot because packaged foods use these oils in just about everything.

If you're saying, "What can I eat?" (I know I did)... you can eat just about anything you can forage and eat without a lot of processing. Veggies and root plants like potatoes and yams are an all you can eat buffet. Cook them in real butter or olive oil. Good cuts of beef or poultry are ok too. I eat a LOT of chicken. Baked chicken is best because restaurants are using Omega 6 oils to fry in. If they use peanut oil (for sure) then go for it.

Once you get used to eating better, the processed foods with Omega 6 oils will begin to taste bad and you'll be in a lot better general health. The arthritis won't be as big a problem either. I've lived with mine for over 20 years.

Good luck and don't stop moving. Movement is the best thing you can do.

Latest posts