• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

playing with pain

Are you extending the elbow? That's what gives you tennis elbow supposedly. A lot of peeps I know with arm injuries keep that elbow tucked and it never really goes past the body at all/much at all.

Nope, have an old rotator cuff injury. Shoulder doesn't bother me at all to throw back hand, but boy it can when I forehand. Doesn't bother me to flick though.

Nope, have an old rotator cuff injury. Shoulder doesn't bother me at all to throw back hand, but boy it can when I forehand. Doesn't bother me to flick though.

I love to throw forehand, I get better accuracy and distance, but lately the pain comes right at the release, its just below the elbow, (right below and down the forearm where the funny bone is). its only painful when I do the forearm then aches a while after a game , my shoulder is sore but not in pain, no pain at all when I throw backhand, not even in my elbow. I have some rotor cuff damage from when I was in the Marines..went through 2 pinning ceremonies and feel bone fragments in there, its not a problem when I play but I have trouble getting the "T" through the hit, causing it to go high or into the ground.

yeah, I'm LHFH, and use a LHBH on mids. I play 3-5 times a week, and yes, its from playing disc golf. I just picked up a tennis elbow wrap, I understand about using the body more and not strong arming the throws, but I have lower back issues and I'm not that flexable in that area, so your right, I do use my arm more than anything. I hate to cut down on the disc golf, but I may have to.

I feel your pain and tennis elbow is bad and will get worse. there are not a lot of cures for it except stop doing what is hurting it. Mine hurt so bad that in 2011 I stopped playing completely. I took a whole summer off and i can say it was my best decision I made. Now I no longer have pain in my elbow. Letting it heal is the best way to deal with it. Remember tendinitis is not actually a elbow issue per say but is caused from your hand grip. My issue was that I gripped the disc tight all the time. I now have a relaxed grip up to the hit. It was not easy to learn that and I still sometimes miss it but it sure has helped with my tendinitis.

I feel your pain and tennis elbow is bad and will get worse. there are not a lot of cures for it except stop doing what is hurting it. Mine hurt so bad that in 2011 I stopped playing completely. I took a whole summer off and i can say it was my best decision I made. Now I no longer have pain in my elbow. Letting it heal is the best way to deal with it. Remember tendinitis is not actually a elbow issue per say but is caused from your hand grip. My issue was that I gripped the disc tight all the time. I now have a relaxed grip up to the hit. It was not easy to learn that and I still sometimes miss it but it sure has helped with my tendinitis.

^This. Excellent post.

2nd Chainchaser.

Had to take 6 mos off to let mine heal, it was so bad it hurt just to let my arm dangle. NSAID, ice and rest followed by stretching and heat. Tears in your tendons take a long time to heal.

I play with a tear in my rotator cuff. I feel as if it has helped with my form because I have to be smooth or else it causes pain. I can no longer throw the big bombs, but at the same time they aren't always consistent anyways. The only remedy I use is stretching and motrin. The motrin only comes into play if the pain gets bad.

I wouldn't say it is a remedy, but I have taught myself how to play left-handed. It helps when my right shoulder is too sore to throw. I am going to look into the sleeve though. I am just not sure if will help with my specific injury.

As and older player who spent decades on the ice playing hockey I now find myself working through issue of pain, stiffness and frankly just being older. I have found stretching and exercise on off days when I don't throw or skate has made a difference. I use no disc, just the motions. I also added weights for maintaining muscle mass, lat pulls, butterflies, touching toes for the hams and legs. When I watch TV I do a little work, it may help.

Over time things have improved and I realize I will never be as I was in my 20's but I do get through the rounds pretty well these days. The day after is still and issue but the pain reminds me I am still kicking at 53...

I want to say this advice came from schwebie (spelling *shrug*). The best thing for tennis elbow is a lot of reps with a 5 pound weight. I'd say relax on the forehands, strengthen with the weight and fix form problems when it heals up.

Latest posts