• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Playing with Strangers?

Do you play with strangers?

• Yes, I'll accept invitations.

Votes: 54 42.2%
  • Yes, I'll usually do the inviting.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • No, I like disc golfing alone.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I like disc golfing with people, just not strangers.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Maybe, it really depends on my mood that day.

Votes: 40 31.3%

• Total voters
There are some guys from MPLS at DGR. IIRC, Dan Beto gives lessons for $10 an hour and will play rounds for free.

My favorite part of playing with strangers is whenever there are two of them they always seem to have a "Jay and Silent Bob" type vibe to them.

I am suddenly jealous of people living in that region.

Ya playing with strangers is always a plus. You get to meet new people and maybe even learn some things from them. The downside is that maybe they will learn from you which makes them harder to beat haha. We got into a random draw doubles tourney at Ohio County in KY the day after Thanksgiving last year...that was a good time and a great way to learn the best routes on the course.

You get to meet some new players for sure. There has only been a couple times where you meet someone and you cant wait for the round to be over.

There are some guys from MPLS at DGR. IIRC, Dan Beto gives lessons for $10 an hour and will play rounds for free.

I go out solo pretty often mainly because my kid is in football now so he doesn't have time. Any inviting is usually done by me and I rarely end a round alone. Funny Dan gets mentioned because my last few rounds have been played with him entirely by accident. I play Acorn Park mostly but occasionally make the south metro. BRP hopefully this weekend though.

I've played with lots of strangers, some were fun , some were not so fun, and some I avoid at all cost. Its usually the complete drunk that drives me nutz and won't shut up and throw!

I think it depends on the situation when trying to find someone to play with. You best bet is often another person by themself. If you find a couple people, they might be playing for money or competitively and don't want the distraction of another person. Also they might be doin something less than legal and don't want any witnesses.

I've played with lots of strangers, some were fun , some were not so fun, and some I avoid at all cost. Its usually the complete drunk that drives me nutz and won't shut up and throw!

I think it depends on the situation when trying to find someone to play with. You best bet is often another person by themself. If you find a couple people, they might be playing for money or competitively and don't want the distraction of another person. Also they might be doin something less than legal and don't want any witnesses.

And if its me and my fiance, we just might want to hit the 19th hole...

Im not sayin anything, Im just sayin...

My favorite part of playing with strangers is whenever there are two of them they always seem to have a "Jay and Silent Bob" type vibe to them.

Have you played with me and buddy before? lol. I actually met Silent Bob aka Kevin Smith a few years ago at his premier of Jersey Girl. He was really a cool guy!

I'll play with just about anyone. Sometimes I get in the mood where I want to play alone, if that's the case I don't make eye contact and project that vibe.

Mostly though I will always show a person around the home course and I have no problem playing with other groups.

I accept and give invitations to play a round with strangers. I have met some really nice people doing so. I have denied a few invitations while playing a round with someone new to the game. I didn't want them to be intimidated by a stranger while learning. I enjoy exchanging tips and tricks with fellow golfers. Plus playing with strangers helps you improve. I believe it adds a bit of competition to your game. You may get to play with a local pro who may give you that tip that brings your game to the next level, or you may be that local pro who helps budding young players jump the next hurdle.

I'll play with just about anyone. Sometimes I get in the mood where I want to play alone, if that's the case I don't make eye contact and project that vibe.

Mostly though I will always show a person around the home course and I have no problem playing with other groups.

I played with a guy from Michigan, he kept telling me that there is no way he would have navigated the course without me.

I always am either invited to play with people, invite myself, or invite other people. Sometimes I do want to play by myself and usually don't mind waiting as these are the rounds I'm throwing multiple discs. If I'm in this mood and am invited, I usually just tell them that I'm tossing a bunch of plastic every hole to get some practice.
I have met a number of cool people to play with and even randomly ran into camgolfer and nunez once or twice....

I always am either invited to play with people, invite myself, or invite other people. Sometimes I do want to play by myself and usually don't mind waiting as these are the rounds I'm throwing multiple discs. If I'm in this mood and am invited, I usually just tell them that I'm tossing a bunch of plastic every hole to get some practice.
I have met a number of cool people to play with and even randomly ran into camgolfer and nunez once or twice....

You run in to random people on the course and come to find out you know them through DGCR. Then you quickly become disc golf friends. Who needs Facebook and Myspace....

We ran into this one guy one day who looked like a homeless, crazy Mel Gibson. He would not shut up. He kept saying that he was playing pro rated golf after only 4 months of playing, how he threw his putter over 900' and amazed some pros. He later said his putter was a Coyote but still, he said he almost parked a 1000' hole with it. I can't remember all the crazy ish he was spouting but he would not shut up b/c my buddy can't stop being nice. So, there are some weirdos out there.

I am open to playing with people I meet on the course. If asked i will almost always join and if I see someone by themselves i almost always ask them to join.

I moved up to Minneapolis for the summer so I could fulfill an internship. I ended up making friends and by asking and playing with just about any group I could find. About the only people I didn't or wouldn't play with were the underwear brothers (aka idiot high school 1 discers with their pants around their knees). I loved playing with old dudes(sorry :p) just as much as new guys. I usually ask if they want to join or if I could join them.

edit: have never been turned down though.

We ran into this one guy one day who looked like a homeless, crazy Mel Gibson. He would not shut up. He kept saying that he was playing pro rated golf after only 4 months of playing, how he threw his putter over 900' and amazed some pros. He later said his putter was a Coyote but still, he said he almost parked a 1000' hole with it. I can't remember all the crazy ish he was spouting but he would not shut up b/c my buddy can't stop being nice. So, there are some weirdos out there.

Did you ever see him throw anything that would make it look like he could throw anywhere near 1000' or even 500'?

I'll often invite people depending on how many people they're with and how many people I'm with. I've definitely met some cool people that way, and I'll play with them whenever I see them. Usually it only really happens if we get to the first tee about the same time or they look like they're pretty cool. If I see someone carrying a disc bag I'll make the assumption that they're at least somewhat passionate about the game and think I might learn something. There are a couple tricky/hard to find tees at my home course that I try and help people find if they aren't familiar with the course.

If I'm playing a course for the first time I'll usually try to look for a small group of three or four to play with while I'm still in the parking lot. It usually works well for me. I've been turned down a couple of times for various reasons, but usually it's all good and we end up having a blast.

Did they ask you to come check out their sweet van after the round? :eek:

yeah, said they would give me some free discs if i came and looked.

:eek::(

actually, flash86 really did give me a disc. one of my favorites now too.

Latest posts