• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

please help find new throws

skinner21

* Ace Member *
I have been trying lately to get out and try some some new throws but it isn't going as well as I had hoped. So, I'm going to list a bunch of throws out there, some I know what they are but can do and other I don't even know what they mean. Any help you can give with definitions, disc selection, technique, and grip for each one would be very appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

Straight hyzer

Sweeping hyzer

Knife hyzer

Flattened hyzer

Hyzer flip

Roll curve

controlled roller

Distance roller

Sky roller

Cut roller

I have been trying lately to get out and try some some new throws but it isn't going as well as I had hoped. So, I'm going to list a bunch of throws out there, some I know what they are but can do and other I don't even know what they mean. Any help you can give with definitions, disc selection, technique, and grip for each one would be very appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

Straight hyzer / Flattened hyzer

I would equate these two. I would say these are shots thrown with an overstable disc - released flat with the expectation of the disc motion moving/pulling to the left (for righties - opposite for lefties) - basically it's a shot thrown flat that lets the natural flight characteristic of an overstable disc do the work of carving a R to L line

Sweeping hyzer

A sweeping hyzer has a flight path that exaggerates the motion. For a righty - the disc flight starts at a hyzer angle, is pushed well to the right, and sweeps back to the left. Usually requires more space, and a higher throw.

Knife hyzer

Is a very sharply thrown hyzer - used to go up and over an obstacle - and often lands and stops dead (or even tombstones/sticks in the ground)

Hyzer flip

Is a shot thrown with hyzer angle with a less stable disc that (with enough energy/snap) will flip up flat and even turn all the way over. A common strategy for tight woods holes.
Roll curve

Sorry - never used this term

controlled roller

Sorry - never used this term

Distance roller

Haven't used this term either but I'll give it a shot. A distance roller would probably be one that attempts to maximize the distance away from the thrower that the disc lands before starting to roll. It requires a good amount of both control and power to execute - and would probably be easiest to accomplish using a fairly unstable driver.

Sky roller

A sky roller is one thrown with an exaggerated arc/height - and is one strategy for accomplishing a decent distance roller.

Cut roller

A cut roller is one that generally uses an overstable disc and uses a landing angle that is typically more severe than a common roller shot. With the goal being for the disc to move in the opposite direction than a regular roller. Cut rollers also tend to shorten the distance away from the thrower that the disc lands. In other words - a regular RHBH roller you'd expect to finish to the right (towards the flight plate), while a cut roller turns in the opposite direction of the flight plate by landing the disc at a sharper angle - never giving it a chance to turn all the way over.

thanks for the help. Some of those terms I found on disc golf review and had no idea what to make of them.

Do you use this knife hyzer often, craigg? I would probably throw a steep FH anhyzer instead, or a thumber.

Lately I've been using scoobers to get out of brush. I feel dirty throwing scoobers.

I don't use a knife hyzer very often. It's fun to try sometimes though.

Knife/Spike Hyzers and Sky Rollers are generally used to get over obstacles. Say you've got some small trees between you and the hole. If a person has both of these shots, they might use a 1) spike hyzer if the hole is not far past the trees to get over the trees and stop, or 2) if the hole is way past the trees, they'd use a sky roller to get over the trees and keep going.

Craigger is king of the thumbers. Well, at least part of the Royal family.:D

How about the chicken wing? Stick your throwing arm straight out at a 90 degree angle from the hole, palm down. Inset disc into hand, index finger on the front rim, thumb under the rim, remaining fingers splayed across the top. Reach back then fling forward with a backhand release. Lots of fun, great for lids. Like a forehand it will have a reverse spin from your normal backhand.

I use spike hyzers on a regular basis to get out of trouble, very useful and accurate shot to get over and around something.

Craigger is king of the thumbers. Well, at least part of the Royal family.:D

How about the chicken wing? Stick your throwing arm straight out at a 90 degree angle from the hole, palm down. Inset disc into hand, index finger on the front rim, thumb under the rim, remaining fingers splayed across the top. Reach back then fling forward with a backhand release. Lots of fun, great for lids. Like a forehand it will have a reverse spin from your normal backhand.

perry hardison? i think is his name...best at the chicken wing i have seen!! amazing throw to watch done correctly

I'll take a shot at "controlled roller"

A roller usually executed closer to the ground such as a kneeling position used to navigate under branches or otherwise use the contour of the ground to shape a shot not achievable through the air.

I can execute these much better back hand than forehand. I have a beat to smithereens Panther I use for this.

grenade shot, knife hyzer but thrown upside down
tommy,thumber, many anhyzer shots..
are you tryin to compile a list of all shots? or just descriptions on those you listed?

perry hardison? i think is his name...best at the chicken wing i have seen!! amazing throw to watch done correctly

Tom Edwards throws a pretty mean wing too. He's alleged to have thrown it 400'. From the quick little demo he showed me it could be true.

I have a chicken wing ace, old #4B at Seneca. Short little hole though.

Now that we're on this topic...what is a flex shot? And what technique is required for this shot?

Now that we're on this topic...what is a flex shot? And what technique is required for this shot?

my understanding is any shot with anhyzer that completes its flight back to hyzer b4 it hits ground

this can be done by releasing anhyser, or by hyzer flipping to an anhyser

both would require time, or height to "flex" back to hyzer

Sweeping hyzer

A sweeping hyzer has a flight path that exaggerates the motion. For a righty - the disc flight starts at a hyzer angle, is pushed well to the right, and sweeps back to the left. Usually requires more space, and a higher throw.

I have issue with this, I've always interpreted a sweeping hyzer as being generally tight and low to the ground , like a hyzer flip that never turns completely over, and generally has a big skip at the end.

Knife Hyzers/Hyzer Spikes/Hyzer bombs are great, definitely worth learning. You can upshot w/o worrying about blow-bys, and if you have the arm there are a lot of holes where instead of trying to hit the trailer hallway of a fairway you can just go way over the top of the tree line.

Distance potential with this one. Thrown with a good amount of anhyzer with overstable disc, but has to be thrown high and have room to flex back otherwise it wont have enough room to fade back left before it hits the ground.

I saw someone throwing knife hyzers in practice before a tournament round. Very effective but they look very hard to pull off unless you really know what you are doing. I imagine that there are easier to control shots that could be used rather than this one. Just a thought.

Latest posts