• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Please, no more pars!

wolito

* Ace Member *
Silver level trusted reviewer
I have been playing for a couple of years and have improved my game in all aspects. Most all the holes I play I usually get par without too much difficulty. I have a decent drive to about 330, my approach shots are usually dead on and my putting is about average. Birdies do come for me, usually 1 or 2 a round but mostly I make par. It gets boring after a while, like I have hit a wall in my progree. I want to get more birdies. What aspect of my game do I need to focus on to get more birdies? Longer drives so I can get closer to the basket or having the ability to hit 60 foot putts without much difficulty? In what situations do you get your birdies? What are your thoughts?

consistent throws off the T box are the way i birdie. Two things have really helped me in the last 2 months get better.

1. I have learned to throw a Buzzz (or a stalker its distance cousin. haha distance...) or a Roc. I am way more accurate with the midrange from the T box.

2. Let the disc do the work, rather than me over hauling the disc. Its like regular golf, dont swing hard, let the disc fly the way it needs to.

Putting helps, but right now im more focused on throwing better off the T so i dont have to putt 70 feet out.

Sounds cliche, but both: drives and putting. If you can add an extra 25 feet of distance and staying accurate and make 35' putts, well, more birds. There are a lot of those "inbetween" holes, where a birdie is out of reach, but pars are boring. The only way to get birdies on those is drive a little farther and hit longer putts... and make sure you don't miss any of the shorter putts either.

You sound like me. I think putting practice will yield the most results the fastest, adding distance takes so much time and practice.

I've been playing less than a year, but my improved putting has been the biggest difference in my better scores recently.

Putting. Lock in your 25-30 footers and the confidence to make 40+ will come once you know you've got the comeback knocked.

Is your course rollable and if so do you roll? That can be a quick way to get to holes you previously couldn't reach.

The big difference for me has been working on accuracy, not distance, and really focusing on my putting.

How long is your course. If you have a decent drive to 330' and then your forced to shoot 80' upshots from there every hole... don't expect too many birdies. If that's the situation then D is the answer.

If the holes average 280'... then accuracy off the tee is the answer... then putting.
DSCJNKY

Accuracy in driving and putting. go to a field, set up a cone, go 300' away and just throw at the cone. Then, get a practice basket and practice putting. all different putts. never the same one twice.

If you can shoot even on courses in that range time and time again your gonna win alot of rounds against int. players , you should be proud of being consistent.

Stick to your game and the distance and putting will improve, i like beating adv. players but if i had a choice id rather not ever get blown out than win a little more and come in dead last the rest of the time.

You sound like me. I think putting practice will yield the most results the fastest, adding distance takes so much time and practice.

I tend to agree with you somewhat. Hitting long putts can make the difference between par and birdie. I focus a lot on my drives because the courses here in Arizona lack finese shots off the tee, of which I am used to back in my great state of Iowa. Rather it is distance more than anything. However if I could get good at putting long range then I might make a few more birds.

Consistant I am

If you can shoot even on courses in that range time and time again your gonna win alot of rounds against int. players , you should be proud of being consistent.

Stick to your game and the distance and putting will improve, i like beating adv. players but if i had a choice id rather not ever get blown out than win a little more and come in dead last the rest of the time.

I have yet to enter my first tournament and not knowing any better, I would certianly enter as a amature or beginner. Hopefully I will do so soon. I guess consistancy has it's part. I have worked hard to get to the point to where I am at today. I just need to put forth more effort to get more birdies. I have commited to my putting more recently. By that I mean when I am within 50 feet or so, I throw hard at the basket with determination. No more laying up shots. Perhaps I will start to get more birdies with this approach.

... and more bogeys.

I figure if I throw with determination to get the birdie then I might just get it. If I miss then it might leave me with a 20 foot shot, but that is a par shot then. I figure I just have to go for it.

I suppose the same as with regular golf. A good drive is one thing, but winning the tournament comes down to putting.

One you get to being >90% from 22'-25' with your putting, the next step is figuring out what you need to improve to get that close to the basket.

What discs are you hitting that 330' mark with? Chances are there's still something fundamentally wrong with your driving form. Figuring out what that is and getting to where you're putting fairway drivers 350', mids 300'-320' and putters 250'-280' will improve your accuracy from 330' and down quite a bit.

I also agree with Omega that you should be kicking butt in intermediate if you're hitting almost all pars with a few birdies.