• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Poison Ivy (not the movie)

Don't forget to immediately wash the clothes you were wearing, AND empty out your DG bag and scrub it down. Nothing worse than getting it, then you keep getting it. The oils from poison plants (ivy, oak, sumac) can stay potent up to five years, in the right conditions.

The culprit is the oil of the plant. Oils are best broken down by degergants, dish soap being a very good one of them. Please do research on legitimate medical websites and see your doctor. Lot's of misinformation here. :thmbdown:

Organic chemistry 101. The oils are not broken down by detergents, they make micelles which makes them water soluble. That's why you have to rinse afterward too. Otherwise the oil is still there if you just rub detergent on it. It doesn't break down the molecular structure.

Last edited:
Organic chemistry 101. The oils are not broken down by detergents, they make micelles which makes them water soluble. That's why you have to rinse afterward too. Otherwise the oil is still there if you just rub detergent on it. It doesn't break down the molecular structure.

Gettin' all scientific up in here!

I guess I've been lucky, I've never had it (so far in my 49 years).
I've heard (not sure, but seems plausible) that people who don't suffer the effects from these plants can build up an intolerance and eventually get it.

http://youtu.be/4oyoDRHpQK90

This video is total bunk, clearly demonstrates Tecnu is no better than dish soap at removing axel grease, which has very little to do with urushiol despite what the author of the video desperately wants to believe...

FTFY

Technu is some of the best preventative medicine out there. My company has gone back and forth between issuing Technu and 2 different types of poison ivy wipes (one preventative, one for after exposure) called Ivy-X to people who are exposed to poison plants. My evidence is anecdotal, but the two summers I had access to Technu I never had poison ivy, the summer I had to use the IvyX wipes I had it 3 times (twice after I began using the preventative treatment every morning). I'm not saying the Ivy X was bad, because I was definitely exposed more than 3 times that summer, but if you follow directions, Technu works as advertised.

Great info. I was assuming rinsing was a given, but lathering up and leaving it there would do little. :thmbup:

IIRC the oil in the plant is not exposed unit the plant has been cut in some way from either bugs eating the plant or your disc cutting it or something of the sort. So you could walk though untouched poison and not be exposed to the oil unless you cut the plant in the process which is likely though.

as long as we're talking about Zanfel, they sponsor a lot of disc golf stuff, our TO has had some to give as prizes for the last 3 tourneys.

Boroughs solution is available at any pharmacy. It'll dry out the blisters quicker than anything I've found.

Zanfel.
I've tried oatmeal baths, hot showers, and the Walgreens generic equivalent to Zanfel...nothing works as good. Stuff's expensive though.

^2nd this emotion

Zanfel (or some similar product...Technu, maybe?) or you'll regret it. This stuff works GREAT.

IIRC the oil in the plant is not exposed unit the plant has been cut in some way from either bugs eating the plant or your disc cutting it or something of the sort. So you could walk though untouched poison and not be exposed to the oil unless you cut the plant in the process which is likely though.

I'm pretty sure this is only true in certain conditions. I've seen p.o. in autumn when it's "ripe," for lack of a better term, and the oil's almost oozing out of it.

I'd imagine that's a far different beast than a young shoot in springtime. Also, I believe different strains of p.o. exist (based on what it looks like in NW Indiana compared to its appearance in several other areas to which I've traveled).

Anecdotal evidence only. Personal experience.

Edit: You are correct that if it's cut or damaged in some manner that it's easier to get the oils onto you. I'm saying that just because a leaf or plant is not cut or visibly damaged, it can still transfer the oils.

Folk remedy for poison oak....over a period of about a month start with a miniscule amount (maybe 1/4 of the size of a dime) and eat it. Slowly increase the size you eat over the month until you're at a 1/2 leaf. Yes, you will get a tiny spot around your popper shooter but afterwards you should be immune to it. Yeah, sounds stupid but I know 2 people who have done it and it worked for both. I dont really get PO so I've never done it. No PI in these parts so no idea about that. Good luck.

I'm pretty sure this is only true in certain conditions. I've seen p.o. in autumn when it's "ripe," for lack of a better term, and the oil's almost oozing out of it.

I'd imagine that's a far different beast than a young shoot in springtime. Also, I believe different strains of p.o. exist (based on what it looks like in NW Indiana compared to its appearance in several other areas to which I've traveled).

Anecdotal evidence only. Personal experience.

Edit: You are correct that if it's cut or damaged in some manner that it's easier to get the oils onto you. I'm just saying that just because a leaf or plant is not cut or visibly damaged, it can still transfer the oils.
Yeah or something, dying plants in autumn are weak and leak, if it's shiny stay away! :gross:

Folk remedy for poison oak....over a period of about a month start with a miniscule amount (maybe 1/4 of the size of a dime) and eat it. Slowly increase the size you eat over the month until you're at a 1/2 leaf. Yes, you will get a tiny spot around your popper shooter but afterwards you should be immune to it. Yeah, sounds stupid but I know 2 people who have done it and it worked for both. I dont really get PO so I've never done it. No PI in these parts so no idea about that. Good luck.
norway1.jpg

I don't know if hot water makes the rash go away but it is the closest thing to heaven you can feel. My goodness it's ecstasy. Maybe the second greatest feeling on the planet.

I am crazy allergic to Poison Ivy, and I've had some ugly cases. I used to do the scalding hot water thing, and it sure felt good. But it seemed to make the blisters swell up and get worse, so I quit doing it.

For a bad case, a cortisone shot is the best treatment and for me it does wonders for both the rash and the itching. Nice plus is that it has a residual effect for several weeks that gives you significant resistance to poison ivy. One shot would often get me through the worst of the season.

Of all of the advice I have read on this forum, this is the one I would never try. Ever. I would pee on her boobs, steal a banger gt, yell my life, rage quit, even hit someone with an rv(allegedly), go out of country with a warrant, or worst of all pond dive without calling before I would chance butthole poison ivy.

That's pretty much just from this year. I could write a novel on all the things posted here I would do before ingesting poison oak.

I am allergic and when I get it I almost always end up at a Dr's office for a steroid pack. Now I have taken precautions, I never play DG in the summer in shorts. I always play in active wear pants and long socks. I have found that if I do get it and constantly.....I mean constantly cover it with Calamine lotion (pink not clear, not sure why but its true) to keep it dry and DO NOT scratch at all. It passes real fast. For the longest time I tried other remedies and thought Calamine was too simple or that I was sure it hadn't worked in the past, BUT if caught before breaking the skin open and keeping it constantly covered in the pink stuff, I have had success.

Supposedly there is some weed/wildflower that you can make a tea out of that helps get rid of outbreaks and make you resistant. I haven't been able to find the name of it yet or verify if it works, I just know it has a square stem and 4, thin oval shaped petals in tiered whorls. If I can find some, I'll do a little experiment and see if it works.

Not true.

Gettin' all scientific up in here!

I guess I've been lucky, I've never had it (so far in my 49 years).
I've heard (not sure, but seems plausible) that people who don't suffer the effects from these plants can build up an intolerance and eventually get it.

I've been exposed many times in my lifetime (over 50 myself) and this is the first time I have ever had it. I've heard of others with similar experience and one that went the other way. He used to get it all the time up until he reached middle age then he didn't seem to be affected by it any more.

Latest posts