• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Poison Oak "Remover"

Use dish soap to wash off after exposure. If you end up with a rash, Zanfel works...for some people. It didn't work for me.

Jewel weed works well to neutralize the oil, and it's easy to identify. Usually when you find some, you'll find a bunch and it grows in the same areas as poison ivy...usually wet lowlands.

IMO, the following seem to bear repeating as a PSA:
NO, NO, NO. Caustic agents like bleach, gasoline..... are extremely dangerous and have zero, and I mean zero, impact on the reaction. Please don't even suggest such stuff in jest. People will believe this. I am a nurse and implore people to not do this. :wall: :doh: :wall:

Make sure you note on those hot showers that if you do that before the oil is removed from your skin, it will spread the oil and open your pores making things much worse for you.
I think that's what happened to me. I had no clue that I'd stumbled into the stuff looking for a disc in the thick brush. I usually take a shower when I return home after a round or two, so chances are that's just what I did.

Recognition is the key, otherwise you won't know you've contacted it until you get a reaction, and by then, most of the damage is probably done and you could be headed for bad times ahead. :( :(

IMO, the following seem to bear repeating as a PSA:

I think that's what happened to me. I had no clue that I'd stumbled into the stuff looking for a disc in the thick brush. I usually take a shower when I return home after a round or two, so chances are that's just what I did.

Recognition is the key, otherwise you won't know you've contacted it until you get a reaction, and by then, most of the damage is probably done and you could be headed for bad times ahead. :( :(

YES!!! My post re: hot water is meant ONLY AFTER ALL THE OIL HAS BEEN WASHED AWAY!!! I thought I said that. :\

This is me a few years ago after NOT washing away the oil and taking a shower. I had no idea I came in contact with it until it was too late. Hot water might help your symptoms but you absolutely must remove the oil first!

3502713229_34d57f190e.jpg

Grab a beer and jump in the creek or pond. Wipe yourself with your hands, especially on the forearms and lower legs.

You may have pond stink, but you won't itch when you get home.

Then again, you could buy something like everyone else here advises.

Dawn or Palmolive dish soap will get the oil off right after a round. Cheap!

Last edited:
Look on your face says it all:
YES!!! My post re: hot water is meant ONLY AFTER ALL THE OIL HAS BEEN WASHED AWAY!!! I thought I said that. :\

This is me a few years ago after NOT washing away the oil and taking a shower. I had no idea I came in contact with it until it was too late. Hot water might help your symptoms but you absolutely must remove the oil first!

3502713229_34d57f190e.jpg

As has been said, dish soap is a detergent and breaks down oil. I carry a spray bottle with some in water and paper towel, for those rounds I know I have been in it.

Hot water, even if you have removed all of the oil off, is for pansies. I like the challenge of dealing with it. If I was dumb enough not to recognize it, then I will deal with the consequences.

Hot water, even if you have removed all of the oil off, is for pansies. I like the challenge of dealing with it. If I was dumb enough not to recognize it, then I will deal with the consequences.

Oh, I'm not ashamed of whining like a baby at 5am every morning. Call it what you want.

I have since become a "pro" at recognizing, and dealing with the threat. That's all that matters to me. :)

liquid dish soap, gas as a last resort.

YUP. ANYTHING that will break down the oils before it takes hold.

A little Dawn dish detergent works wonders.

An old timey landscaper I used to work for would just get a rag soaked in gasoline and rub himself down if he thought he had been exposed. I am sure there is a more civilized way to do this though. (This is the same guy that refueled his tractor/skid steer with diesel while a cigarette with a 3 inch ash dangled from his mouth)

Rhuli Gel
My mom is super allergic to Poison Ivy/Oak. Rhuli Gel was the only stuff that helps.

NO, NO, NO. Caustic agents like bleach, gasoline..... are extremely dangerous and have zero, and I mean zero, impact on the reaction. Please don't even suggest such stuff in jest. People will believe this. I am a nurse and implore people to not do this. :wall: :doh: :wall:

I think you missed where my response was telling people that bleach was a bad idea, it's the guy I was responding to that you should be yelling at. :)

An old timey landscaper I used to work for would just get a rag soaked in gasoline and rub himself down if he thought he had been exposed. I am sure there is a more civilized way to do this though. (This is the same guy that refueled his tractor/skid steer with diesel while a cigarette with a 3 inch ash dangled from his mouth)
Did you get as far away as possible or break out sticks and marshmallows?
Actually, I don't think diesel fuel is nearly as flammable as regular gasoline, but I'd like to see him rub himself down with gasoline after poison oak/ivy while puffing.

I briefly worked in a plant where a guy used to change fuel tanks for a propane powered forklift while smoking a cigarette. For those unfamiliar, it's not uncommon for gaseous propane to be expelled while disconnecting/connecting the tanks. Apparently, Darwin Awards are more sought after than I'd realized...

To bring this back on topic: If you think itchy/burning sensation from poison oak/ivy is bad... :p

Last edited:
I'm better about recognizing it when reaching than when crashing through the underbrush like a big dumb animal, looking for a disc.

If any chance of exposure on a course, I try to wear track pants or long socks, and I've found baby-type wipes on the spot are good for removing the oils. The sooner the better, the oils being a "persistent agent."

Had to do a Zanfel scrubdown on my forearm last w/e, mid-round. :thmbup:

I would recommend it to anyone. :)

Alcohol wipes in the bag, some dawn d/w liquid and start out with ivy block. If after all this I am pretty sure I was exposed, technu FTW...........

I use all the regular treatments when I have it. But if I am worried I may have been exposed, I will dump bleach on my legs for 30 seconds, then rinse off in the shower and then take a regular shower. Works very well.