• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Poison Oak "Remover"

Zanfel. Its pricey when you look at the competitors, but when you use it you know its WELL worth the money.

Sandpaper the affected area w/ #8 sandpaper, mix 1 dollop Colgate advantage whitening breath strip toothpaste with 3 oz. of isopropyl alcohol and generously apply to area, soak a hickory wooden spoon in bourbon (for at least 4 hours), take the spoon out and drink remains of bourbon from glass, put the hickory spoon under your pillow for 1 week. Repeat every 2 hours as necessary.

Sandpaper the affected area w/ #8 sandpaper, mix 1 dollop Colgate advantage whitening breath strip toothpaste with 3 oz. of isopropyl alcohol and generously apply to area, soak a hickory wooden spoon in bourbon (for at least 4 hours), take the spoon out and drink remains of bourbon from glass, put the hickory spoon under your pillow for 1 week. Repeat every 2 hours as necessary.
Hahahhaha lol'd

When I get poison ivy, I scrach all of it and submerge the affected area in chlorine bleach. It gets rid of it. I hear it also works on athletes foot. I don't know about poison oak, but I would think it would work.

I think I'll pass on exposing sensitive layers of broken skin to a nasty chemical like bleach, way too easy for that to be getting into your system.

only if the oils are still on your skin. believe me, the relief you get from it is euphoric.

Agreed, near-scalding hot water is incredible. Had both legs covered really bad a couple years ago. Used tecnu, zanfel, jewelweed soap, even got roids from the doc and the only itch relief I found was HOT water. I took like 6 showers a day, hah!

I think I'll pass on exposing sensitive layers of broken skin to a nasty chemical like bleach, way too easy for that to be getting into your system.

NO, NO, NO. Caustic agents like bleach, gasoline..... are extremely dangerous and have zero, and I mean zero, impact on the reaction. Please don't even suggest such stuff in jest. People will believe this. I am a nurse and implore people to not do this. :wall: :doh: :wall:

Sounds like the consensus is:

1) Learn what Poison Oak/Ivy/ Sumac look like and avoid them if possible.
2) If exposed, rub some jewelweed on it (if you see some and know what it is).
3) Apply tecnu to remove the urushiol oils and/or wash everything well in the laundry. Do this before sitting anywhere or going to bed.
4) Use zanfel to speed recovery and cut the itching.
5) Caladryl clear is a useful topical itch relief.
6) Hot showers can also relieve pain/itching.
7) If it is severe, get a cortisone shot from your doctor.
8) Urine, gasoline, bleach, and other 'home remedies' probably do more harm than good.

Make sure you note on those hot showers that if you do that before the oil is removed from your skin, it will spread the oil and open your pores making things much worse for you.

I have goten the rash many times in my lifetime (9 times last Summer) and the best remedy I have found is to take a shower using Liquid Dish Soap after playing DG. It sounds crazy, but it is effective at removing the oils from your skin. If I have a rash develop I use benedryl spray at first and if that does not do the trick, I use Zanfel which is amazingly effective.

Can't you just pee on it like a jellyfish sting? :popcorn:

Zanfel, like others have said. That stuff is unbelievable.

Plus, they are big supporters of disc golf. (They send me $250 worth of product for each tournament I am involved with.)

Latest posts