• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Poll: Do You Play Organized Disc Golf?

Have you played in the past year:

• Tournament and League Event

Votes: 136 56.4%
  • Just League Event

Votes: 23 9.5%
  • No organized rounds, just casual play

Votes: 82 34.0%

• Total voters
Trust casual rounds for me. I am a PDGA member though, so that I can play tourneys. Which I would like to do, but work and family obligations always seem to interfere with the tournaments locally I'd be likely to play. I'll play a few before they send me to the glue factory.:D

Casual, leagues, touraments, I do whatever fits in my schedule. My personal favorite mode of play is bag tags. It's a cheap easy way to reach those casual players that are on the competition bubble. I'm telling you, it's bag tags. We gotta get bag tags. Then we get the khakis. Then we get the tournament players.

I've been playing for around 18 years and only officially joined the local club about 2 years ago. I do not have a PDGA number and have only played in a handful of small league events.

With all of the worlds related hoopla going on here the past year, plus coming back from injury, I shortly thought about signing up for some events. Then I realized that if I'm gonna play on a Saturday morning, I'd rather it be for the price of a few beers with friends instead of a tourney fee.

I'll point out that a great many casual players do not participate in disc golf fora. I play with a bunch of folks locally who play casually and their only interaction with anything "organized" involving disc golf is me texting to see who's playing on Sunday. Seven adults with a handful of children between them. So my single data point also involves several other players.

also keep in mind this place is more the "serious" disc golfer posting vs casual players we all see out on the course and never heard of DGCR.

I work nearly every Saturday (50 out of 52). Tournaments are ALWAYS on a Saturday, so I CAN'T play tournaments, although my game is finally good enough to do so. I don't get the whole bag tag thing, so I don't do that either. League play is not for me, so looks like it is all casual for me.

I will play in a tournament that is scheduled on a Sunday, so far I have made 2 tournies in 3 years of playing the game/sport.

I was going to try to play the Thriller at Hiller Tournament on Saturday, Nov. 7, but the boss said NO, gotta work.

Last edited:
I enjoy playing PDGA sanctioned events but I don't belong to a club. This brings a lot of purpose to my casual rounds. I zone in on specific courses in the weeks before a tournament for practice.

In 10 years, I've played 2 tourneys <2011 and 2014 Summertime Opens> and 2 weeklies. I put a great deal of pressure on myself in my casual rounds so I have been skittish about playing tournaments due to being worried that my temper would et the better of me. I should have done more with disc golf including playing tournaments when I was younger and could drive a car. At 38, the DMV decided my eyesight wasn't good enough to drive a car anymore, so my disc golf game has suffered greatly. I play once a week, generally, and 2-3 rounds each time I go out. That's not enough time playing/practicing to even maintain a decent game, let alone improve any. My knee and back prevent me from really throwing field practice anymore also, so that's out.

Just casual rounds for me right now. With family and work obligations, my schedule is way too unpredictable to play consistently in a league setting. I wish I had the time to do so, but it just isn't in the cards for me at the moment.

This

There should be a tournament only option on the poll imo. I love playing competitive rounds but have to rearrange a lot of things in life to attend events so i tend to only play bigger PDGA stuff.

I have never played anything but casual rounds. Just not interested in organized disc. It's hard enough to organize a weekend trip to Timber Ridge, Falling Creek, Greenfield, Mountain Lake and Sontag. I enjoy seeing more courses so we played a quick pace and that is not what I hear about organized disc.

Thanks for all of the feedback so far.

I had considered that membership to this site assumed some level of commitment to the sport that would err on the organized side. But, what better forum is there really? Yes, I suppose I could hit the course and do a poll, and maybe that is the only way to really get to the bottom of this. However, I can't do that from the comfort of my desk chair!

Surprised at the poll results I admit, I thought it would be higher on the casual only option.

Is there a way for me to edit the poll to add the tournament only option? I just assumed incorrectly that a tournament player would hit a league at least once a year.

For me I run a handicap singles league, play a number of other leagues throughout the year, and play about 1 tournament a year. I used to play more tournaments but my weekends are now much busier.

was a huge fan of tournament golf for say the first 4 years or so i played but since then i have gotten away from it more and more .. i will still play leagues .. partly because i run it lol .. but for the most part paying to play disc golf has lost its luster for me :\ ... just have more fun playing with friends and would much rather use the money i would for a tournament to travel with friends and play somewhere new/different for the weekend

Been playing tourneys for 2 years. Really the only thing that keeps me playing them, is the fact that i want to improve my rating. If there were no rating system, I dont know if I would have any interest in tourneys.

was a huge fan of tournament golf for say the first 4 years or so i played but since then i have gotten away from it more and more .. i will still play leagues .. partly because i run it lol .. but for the most part paying to play disc golf has lost its luster for me :\ ... just have more fun playing with friends and would much rather use the money i would for a tournament to travel with friends and play somewhere new/different for the weekend

Travelling with friends to new courses is the best disc golf to me. Start when we want, play at our own pace, that is what i call relaxing.

A couple tournaments, leagues, casual play, and practice. Looking to do more tourneys next year.

The league in my area plays in the evening on week days which just doesn't work for me. If there was one who played on Saturday mornings or Sunday afternoons I would be interested but until then, it's casual rounds usually by myself.

Thanks for all of the feedback so far.

I had considered that membership to this site assumed some level of commitment to the sport that would err on the organized side. But, what better forum is there really? Yes, I suppose I could hit the course and do a poll, and maybe that is the only way to really get to the bottom of this. However, I can't do that from the comfort of my desk chair!

Surprised at the poll results I admit, I thought it would be higher on the casual only option.

Is there a way for me to edit the poll to add the tournament only option? I just assumed incorrectly that a tournament player would hit a league at least once a year.

For me I run a handicap singles league, play a number of other leagues throughout the year, and play about 1 tournament a year. I used to play more tournaments but my weekends are now much busier.

I'm a tournament player who hasn't played league in years. I used to do a lot of both.

I don't think you'll get a lot of useful information out of this, other than there is a gamut of ways people enjoy disc golf. A poll like this, with a slice of the disc golf community (DGCR members), and a tiny fraction of those who choose to answer, won't reflect the broader community at all.