• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pond Diving

Weebl

Double Eagle Member
Up to date, there are 5 discs of mine in a pond by my house, all but one went in no more than 3 feet from the edge but because of the murkyness of the water, anything below 4 inches is invisible. I'm almost positive I'm the only one who has discs in there, and the bottom is a slippery mud/clay. Does anyone have any advice for fishing these discs out of the pond? I've tried rakes from the edge, but the discs I guess floated away out of reach. Is my only option for retreiving these discs diving in? (I'd rather not, gunky from ducks and koi bigger than my cat)

there's a device known as the golden retriever which drags across the bottom... however, i doubt it works particularly well.

waders are the best thing for seeking discs, or just committing to walking around something nasty. i would recommend wearing something to protect your feet at all times though, aqua socks, etc.

The Golden Retriever/Disc Diver! http://www.discdiver.com/

I LOVE this thing. And it does work..it's well worth the 20$ to buy it. If you can see the disc it's a guaranteed reclaim...if you can't see it but know the general area, I'd say 85% of the time you'll get it, I've retrieved so many discs that people just told me it's kinda in that area 20 feet out etc... In fact last weekend I got a disc for someone that was their favorite limited edition black wasp out of some nasty murky water, told me it was about 40 feet out in <that area> and so I just kept fishing that area for about 10 minutes and bamn snagged it and brought it in.

I definitely recommend getting one...it's a must have IMO and it's a lot easier to carry then one of those stupid poles.

One thing thought, I'd go to Home Depot or somewhere like that and get some better rope. Nothing too thick, but get like 75-100feet on a reel or something that, the rope they give you kinda sucks.

does anyone know how well discs hold up when they are in a lake or pond a long time? does the water preserve them or mess them up?

robj said:
does anyone know how well discs hold up when they are in a lake or pond a long time? does the water preserve them or mess them up?

I've noticed that they become a lot more soft/gummy after being left in there for awhile. I received a disc back that had been in the lake for almost 7 months, and it was so soft and gummy (not to mention rank from the smell of the lake) that it flew WAY different.

What plastic was it? I've heard DX/D plastic doesnt hold up to being soaked for a while, but I imagine champion/Z would hold up quite well.

Weebl said:
What plastic was it? I've heard DX/D plastic doesnt hold up to being soaked for a while, but I imagine champion/Z would hold up quite well.

It was pro teebird and the other was a x-xpress

Josh, you should see a few of the discs I pulled out of that muck today. I found 2 X clones that were extremely warped, a few that were dog discs and others that looked like they had been in there a few years. I have found that champion/X plastic retains its feel and flight pattern even after a long stay in the drink.

twmccoy said:
Josh, you should see a few of the discs I pulled out of that muck today. I found 2 X clones that were extremely warped, a few that were dog discs and others that looked like they had been in there a few years. I have found that champion/X plastic retains its feel and flight pattern even after a long stay in the drink.

Yea I was there today when you were pulling the stuff from the Badlands Gunk! Man nasty! lol. you find anything worth keeping?

Scott Tried to get his Orc off the Ice and ended up almsot Knee deep in that Black mud over int eh small pond. That mud looked hard so he didn't even see it coming.

Yeah, I actually did unearth a few nice discs. I found 4 champ beasts, 2 flashes, 2 pro wraiths, 4 champ valks, 2 champ teebirds, a crush and a few others. Took me forever to clean them. You were right about the mud. Every step I took in that lake was knee deep mud. Wore me out trudging around finding discs. If the mud wasn't so deep I could have easily doubled my haul.

twmccoy said:
Yeah, I actually did unearth a few nice discs. I found 4 champ beasts, 2 flashes, 2 pro wraiths, 4 champ valks, 2 champ teebirds, a crush and a few others. Took me forever to clean them. You were right about the mud. Every step I took in that lake was knee deep mud. Wore me out trudging around finding discs. If the mud wasn't so deep I could have easily doubled my haul.

Nice..Was one of those beasts Green with oranage diamond designs on it?
Think it was diamond like designs..but it's main color was green.

twmccoy said:
No, I found 3 yellow ones and 1 purple. All are in great condition.

What's the Year/weight on thoses Yellow ones? I lost a gummy one some time ago that was yellow with I think a purple stamp on it. It was when I was jsut startin to learn the sport. Think the weight was 167-169 range.

That green one I asked about was Scott's it was I think the first disc he lost.
lol

I know this tread was dying but I figured I would add a few things since at my home course (Buckhorn in NC) It is hard to go a round without throwing something in some water. Obviously the easiest way to get a disc is to just wade in and poke around with your feet. What I really wanted to add was that if you fish some random discs out a pond and they get that weird funk/stain on them just clean them with some denatured alcohol. It is sold in the next to paint thinner and will take anything off a disc, the stain, the funky smell, and even sharpie. That stuff is the best and it is cheap.

Thanks Frank!

I've got some used discs that I bought from Play It Again Sports and the previous owner went a little nuts w/ the Sharpie. I'll give the denatured alcohol a try. :)

sleepy

I've found that champion/Z plastic cleans up really well. X and DX plastic is harder, especially if it has that black mud on it. I just use water and a sponge with the green scrubbing thing on one side.

You know what happened to me? My x avengers with the foil stamp, I washed them with dish washing soap and the foil stamp faded to an ugly color, like when paper gets wet.

This was new, but I'm worried about washing my z avenger which also has a foil-type stamp.

Yeah, I am careful when I wash discs with foil stamps. I washed some discs in the dishwasher once and the stamps came totally off. I've also seen them come off due to hot water or harsh soap. I wash the foil stamped discs with cold water only.

I didn't really feel like this needed a new topic but what do you guys think about returning discs that you find in the water? I personally don't usually return the disc since it is like abandoned property, the owner gave up the rights when they walked away. The only exceptions is right after a tournament since most of the time you can't slog through a pond for ten minutes looking for your disc.

What got me thinking about this is the old thread over at the PDGA boards. They are very pro return but I just don't get it. You leave the disc, you give up your rights to it.

Also do you guys ever go dipping just to find discs. I usually don't, I only go in when looking for my disc but once I'm in there I might as well search around.

P.S. found a Super Roc and a SE Rhyno while looking for my pro starfire. Didn't find it but they eased the pain.

I always try to return discs that I find. It's the right thing to do. You have no way of knowing whether or not they gave up because they don't care, or gave up because they looked forever and coudln't find it or had some sort of time contraints and had to leave. "Finders keepers, loosers weepers" is not a justification for taking something that belongs to someone else. Chances are you'll get to keep the disc anyway, but the original owner put his or ner name on the disc for a reason.