• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pond Diving

thats something that really makes me believe in karma, I have played some of my best golf playing rounds with guys who's discs I just returned.

After reading that bit about the guy at the tournament who kept peoples discs...

I think the tournament director should have some authority to kick people out/call the police.

Thatdirtykid said:
thats something that really makes me believe in karma, I have played some of my best golf playing rounds with guys who's discs I just returned.

I retrieved two peoples' discs one day, and each one of them gave me a disc out of their bag for my efforts. I scored a brand new champion beast and champion roadrunner. I've played many a round with people whom I've returned discs to.

I was at a local course one day, that happens to have a throw-over pond. These two guys were worried about trying that hole. I told them to go for it. One of them threw it right in the middle, and it was floating. I sent my lab in after it. He retrieved it without the slightest toothmark, good as new, only wet. The guy thought that was the coolest thing, having a dog retrieve his disc. I was glad I could help.

I hardly ever take him to the course. It's almost impossible to use a leash, and it's required in most parks. He's a well behaved dog, and will stay right with me...but I don't want a ticket from police who have nothing better to do. He loves retrieving in the water, as most labs do. As long as he can see the disc, he'll bring it back. Looks like a frisbee to him!

i take my llasa poo with me to the course...yes...a leash i rediculous...but i keep his tucked under his collar and only use it when "ranger joe" is around. My pup also stays at my side....though when we get to the creek holes...he's all up in the water like a lil kid.

Oh yeah, and it helps.
I have a rare cape fear tourney rhyno that is my bead and butter for putts outside of 25'. I have "$15 reward" written on the back. I lost it once and it came back. I only do this for rare discs that I know I cnat buy again. It does help to offer an incentive.
No one could get that much for a disc unles they return it to the owner. I dont mind paying because its not replaceable.

twmccoy said:
Yes, EXPO is nasty. But I agree with ya terry on the watching and getting and keeping. Those are the pond divers that piss me off the most. i.e. Mile High Classic, there wa sa guy who was watching discs go into the water, he'd get them then charge a 10$ return fee unless he liked the disc. There was on player who thru his starfire in, and he was gonna go out and get it once we got to that side (hole 13 inlet) and this jerk went in, grabbed it and told him he liked the starfire, but would give it back for 20$. WTF is that! Not cool, those are the pond divers that piss me off.

The returned discs I'm talkin about is if you go in to get yours and happen to find someone else's disc. I'd say please make an effort to return it.

Yeah, that really sucks. I hope somebody beat that guy up. I have seen other people at expo finding discs and they have been decent enough guys. Holding people's discs hostage is a sure way to get yourself in trouble though. There were actually people a while back that were calling the numbers on the discs and telling people they would never see their discs again. I tried to call E Basey about one of his discs but reached a woman who was about out of her mind from dealing with prank calls regarding his discs. The disc had his old phone number on it. Also, I have found over 1000 discs in 2 years and never once seen WWJD on one. I have seen some pretty strange stuff written on discs though.[/quote]

For those of you who don't live in Denver and know Terry I want to vouch that he is every bit as good as his word and really does return discs he braved the nasty stink at Expo Park for.

Terry, thanks for the heads up about E Baseys phone number. I have one of his (posted to MHDC) and was going to call but will let not bother the poor woman. :)

basey has lost quite a few discs at expo, I usually post on the mhdg site if I reconize the name (that was one I learned quick) other wize the phone works, ive met some decent guys just returing expo discs.

Thatdirtykid said:
basey has lost quite a few discs at expo, I usually post on the mhdg site if I reconize the name (that was one I learned quick) other wize the phone works, ive met some decent guys just returing expo discs.

Oh yeah, Eric has lost more discs out there than anybody. I've probably returned 12 of his over the past couple years. I think someone else has been combing expo lately though because I went out last weekend and didn't find very many.

last couple times Ive been there ive found less than 30, and I usually check by holes 9, 11, 13, 14 and sometimes 18, 3, 2

Found a friend of mine's favorite disc he lost a couple of weeks ago...

I sent him an email with this in it.

slackey-disc.gif

It was hilarious. All in good fun since I knew the guy.

even if you didnt know the guy that wouldnt be bad, as long as you return it anyways, I would pay someone for my disc just for the good joke ;-) (that and an email needs a sender...)

I found 6 champion orcs in one day today. That is the most orcs I've ever found in one day before. 2 are the nice domy ones.

Also found a surge, DX wraith, champ starfire, champ beast, 2 champ valks, a champ viking, star teebird, champ teebird, Pro rhyno, QJLS, goblin, champ leopard and a few others.

BTW, the lake at expo is really high and #10's teepad is under water. I could have found way more discs if the water was lower. The water was a foot deep in the willows off 9 and I found a couple orcs hiding in there. That used to be dry ground too, and now it has a foot of water.

I'm pretty easy-come-easy-go about the whole thing.

I don't write my name and number on discs because it just seems like the risk of some weirdo getting calling me isn't worth the $10 a disc costs me. But if you find my disc in the water or in the woods, hey-- it's yours. I've played a couple rounds with people who I'm pretty sure were throwing an old disc of mine but I couldn't prove it. And I didn't really care.

If you leave a disc someplace obvious (middle of the fairway, teebox, in a basket) I'll leave it where I found it because you'll probably come back in fifteen minutes and get it and you probably know just where you left it. If you leave a number, I'll call you and I don't want a reward.

No name and no number, it's mine. Actually probably not mine, but it goes to whoever I'm playing with that will use it the most. At least you know someone is getting a lot of enjoyment out of your disc, and it's living a full, happy life in the hands of its new owner.