• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pond Diving

garublador said:
I always try to return discs that I find. It's the right thing to do. You have no way of knowing whether or not they gave up because they don't care, or gave up because they looked forever and coudln't find it or had some sort of time contraints and had to leave. "Finders keepers, loosers weepers" is not a justification for taking something that belongs to someone else. Chances are you'll get to keep the disc anyway, but the original owner put his or ner name on the disc for a reason.

Well said.

sleepy

garublador said:
I always try to return discs that I find. It's the right thing to do. You have no way of knowing whether or not they gave up because they don't care, or gave up because they looked forever and coudln't find it or had some sort of time contraints and had to leave. "Finders keepers, loosers weepers" is not a justification for taking something that belongs to someone else. Chances are you'll get to keep the disc anyway, but the original owner put his or ner name on the disc for a reason.

I hadn't really though of the "just can't find it" angle, which is odd since there have been plenty of times I just couldn't find a disc in water. I will keep that in mind.

What did get me mad the other day was that a few weeks ago we had a big tournament out at Buckhorn and as soon as it was over there were all these punk kids wading around in the water talking about all the money they were going to make from selling discs to Played Again sports. That really got me since they had practically cleaned the place out before the prizes were done being giving out. The tourny players didn't even have a chance to look for their discs.

When finding discs I give it an honest try. I look for a name, number, email address, or see if I recognize the disc. If there's none I look around for players. That being said; if there's no name, or no one has lost it I make use of it somehow. If it's something I dont particularly want I'll donate it to a local kid. It gets them started and I feel better about myself.

It's not that I'm so do goody idiot. I've lost discs in the rivers and still want them back. Someone said that if you "abandon" your disc you forfiet all claims to it. Speaking for myself here; I have a job and most times I just have time to play a quick game before work. If I lose a disc I dont have long to look for it. I do return the next day. I don't abandon my discs I just dont have time, or can't find it.

I do offer "rewards" for lost discs. Most of the local disc-divers know this too. It gives them some reward for their effort, I pay more than the local stores for trade in, and I get my disc for less than buying a replacement.

End of rant...
Pagan

In the last year I've probably returned about 50 discs to people around here. I've even returned a couple that were lost for over a year in lakes. I don't return every disc I find though. If I find a trashed DX disc with a name on it I usually leave it at the park or throw it away.

I also try to return discs, but only to local players and only if it has a name and number on it. Also i do expect whomever im giving the disc back to, to reward me somehow. I dont care if it is hey you want a beer? or bowl? or a couple bux. If i return a disc to a guy more than once and doesnt offer anything, then i will just turn his into the local shop for the $2.

I dont call any out of state numbers due to the fact that i am not going to waste my time sending it out and everything for less than like $8 with shipping and you can buy most replacement discs for not too much more than that.

I do get irritated by the people that throw their discs in and do leave them there even if they have time, and they expect to get their disc back. Those are usually the poeple that dont believe they should reward people for getting "thier possesions" back. When i leave a disc that i threw in i think it would be nice to get my disc back. but i do not expect to get it back.

ok done ranting. my .02 cents

As per most local laws, any lost or abandoned property should be turned in to the local police department where it will be held for 30 days. A legitimate attempt to contact the owner is made, if possible. At the end of the 30 days, if no one claims, then it is yours. If there is a name and number on the disc, it is close to willfull theft.

In the end, things should not come to that. Call the person and see if they want their disc back. If they do, have them arrange to get it back from you. Don't be an a$$hole and whine about reasons you should get to keep it. Every time I've returned a disc, I've gotten one in return. Karma is kinda cool that way.

Don't be a chucker.

discmonkey42 said:
Every time I've returned a disc, I've gotten one in return. Karma is kinda cool that way.

Thats amazing! everytime you have gotten a disc for it huh? wow. I have turned five back to the same guy at the same time and he gave me a comment like " I lost this disc 6 months ago. Have you been playing with it?" didnt give me any money any disc or even a real thanx he actually seemed like he was mad at me because his disc was in the lake for so long. So now when i find one of his discs i turn it into the local shop and take my two bux.

I usually return them, but recently got a little mad at some people. I lost one in a lake last year, had my name and number on it and after looking for it for around a half hour, I gave up. Thing is, the next week I see it being thrown by some people and after talking to them, showing them my ID for proof I still only got it back by offering one of my discs AND money for trade. After that and seeing all the names crossed out on other discs, I kind of lost hope. If I find some with a name on it, I'll try to locate them, otherwise it's mine.

pd

If I see someone throwing a disc that belongs to me, or someone I know (and the person throwing it isnt the owner) I will talk to that person, if he/she won't return it (I always offer a couple bucks reward) then I tell the local shops about them, and usually they are blacklisteed. If it happens again and they've blatanly stole it, I will get the persons license plate # and call the cops on them. I dont care if anything gets resolved, it will either make them think about taking another disc, or even returning to that course... If I find a disc with a number on it, ill always call because even if they're a prick about it and aren't grateful, it's good to show by example to be kind to others. Good juju.

Weebl said:
If I find a disc with a number on it, ill always call because even if they're a prick about it and aren't grateful, it's good to show by example to be kind to others. Good juju.

Yes!!! Finally, someone who understands. This isn't a game of "I didn't get mine back so screw everyone else". You're either part of the solution or part of the problem. You're not teaching anyone a lesson by being a jerk. And theft is theft. Replace the word disc with wallet in this thread and watch how bent out of shape people would get with the same treatment.

There is no real reason for not trying to get someone their disc back if their name is on the disc. Anyone who doesn't at least try is pretty much lazy, making excuses, and a thief. They are also lucky that disc golfers are a pretty passive, fun loving bunch. I know it wouldn't surprise me to see some of these thieves get hurt by some less than patient people who want what is legally theirs back. I would never take that route, but consider the times we live in. It's a pretty ballsy move to refuse to give someone their property back in this day and age.

discmonkey42 said:
Weebl said:
If I find a disc with a number on it, ill always call because even if they're a prick about it and aren't grateful, it's good to show by example to be kind to others. Good juju.

Yes!!! Finally, someone who understands. This isn't a game of "I didn't get mine back so screw everyone else". You're either part of the solution or part of the problem. You're not teaching anyone a lesson by being a jerk. And theft is theft. Replace the word disc with wallet in this thread and watch how bent out of shape people would get with the same treatment.

There is no real reason for not trying to get someone their disc back if their name is on the disc. Anyone who doesn't at least try is pretty much lazy, making excuses, and a thief. They are also lucky that disc golfers are a pretty passive, fun loving bunch. I know it wouldn't surprise me to see some of these thieves get hurt by some less than patient people who want what is legally theirs back. I would never take that route, but consider the times we live in. It's a pretty ballsy move to refuse to give someone their property back in this day and age.

I disagree with your calling anyone who keeps a found disc a thief. I also don't think that anyone is obligated to call a number on the disc. Fact is, if you can't live with losing a disc, don't throw it.

twmccoy said:
discmonkey42 said:
Weebl said:

I disagree with your calling anyone who keeps a found disc a thief. I also don't think that anyone is obligated to call a number on the disc. Fact is, if you can't live with losing a disc, don't throw it.

No, not obligated, just inconsiderate and taking advantage of the misfortune of another. And if you have something you know belongs to someone else, you are a thief. I'm not judging, do what you want, I'm just calling it like I see it. :?

It was ingrained in me that you always attempt to return discs. I don't expect to get discs back that I've thrown in the lake or lost in the woods, but it sure says alot about our guys (disc players) that do. In fact, if I find a disc when I'm out of town, I try to call and return it before I go back home. But, I'm not sure if I expect this.

It does suck seeing your tye dye being used by someone else when he and everyone else knows it WAS yours. Normally, guilt causes them to get rid of it or just not use it: so why not return it. I found a disc from such a person and returned it, and I could tell it made him uneasy. But, he wasn't very nice about it when I returned it.

I don't even write my name on them anymore as the current local group will not return them anyway. I've had a few situations where I've thrown a disc, and someone walks up and pretends its theirs. So, I may go back to tagging them. Also, I trade discs, and no one wants a disc that is marked though I have several trade discs that still have the previous owner's name.

Good karma (and a reward) work. I lost my brand new pentacle dyed Wasp in the river on the 2nd day I had it. (Hit a low tree limb and bounced right into the river). I was out playing a day later mentioned I had lost it, described it to the kids and told them I'd give em 5 bucks for each disc of mine returned. A couple days ago while playing I got my wasp back. Since the temps were lower 40's and the water coldern hell I gave the kid 10 bucks on the spot. I helped a fellow player retrieve his disc out of same spot yesterday. Good Karma!

If ya find discs try to return em, at least an honest effort. The good karma WILL return to you. Maybee not the next day but it WILL return.

Go and disc in peace dude.

my friend and i went looking in the river today. found 7 discs. no names, otherwise we would return them. we found a flash, z predator, xl, and 4 archangles.

You have to trust that karma will always pay you back. Friday I found a very cool, dyed, champ eagle that flies really nice. No name and in great condition. :D

I played on a temp course this weekend at Big Sur in the Redwoods and the day after the tourny I found a brand new Champion Eagle-L. Looked to have had only 1 throw... that landed completely verticle on a fallen over tree 25' above ground. The crazy thing is the plastic looks like old CE... Feels like old CE... Flies like old CE... And has a new innova swoosh rainbow foil stamp. Anyone else notice a recent batch of Champion discs that were Opaque, no swirls and slightly transparent like the 3rd run CE? If this is a recent run, I need to hunt these champion plastics down and buy me a stack for personal use...

Edit: Slightly transparant as in, you can see a tint difference from the Rim and the thin flightplate

twmccoy said:
discmonkey42 said:
Weebl said:

You better make sure you cross that name off good enough, cause if I see someoen throwing a disc I k now I lost, and it lands near me, I'm takin it back.

And not returning discs, Karma will pay your ass back.

I always attempt to return discs. I call the number 3 times. Hell I even return discs without names, I post a message on teh local board, and say I've found such n such disc, pm me the weight and color and I post where I found it. PM me and I'll return it.
Karma dude Karma