• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PORTLAND, OREGON

pablo.diablo

Eagle Member
My lady and I are still considering Portland for our honeymoon this October.

Looking for info on which Hotel to stay at (reasonably priced) and other attractions around the town. I was looking at the McMenamin's site for lodging but not sure if those places are cool or tacky?

We want to visit some really cool shops, pubs, breweries, courses (Horning's! McIver!), music venues, etc. What are some must-see attractions and venues?

We are from Austin, TX so Portland should be pretty similar in terms of nightlife and such. We don't really do the college crowd/singles bars/6th Street thing. I'm into dive bars & craft beer, doom metal & unorthodox jazz, and 420 style disc golf. She's into good coffee, holistic healing & spas, and checking out other funky local stuff that you can't find anywhere else like crystal shops and other weirdness.

Suggestions please??? :thmbup:

Ace Hotel Downtown is cool. All McMenamins are the same; ****ty service, cool atmosphere. Pier park is great as well as Blue Lake.

What is the BEST local brewery for a Saturday tour? I'm into IIPA's and Stouts mostly. Who makes the best ones up there?

Ace Hotel is a great hotel - downtown and central - There's a great coffee shop in the lobby for your wife (Stumptown) - it's walking distance to movie theaters and lots of pubs, breweries, Powell's Bookstore, Ground Konrol, food carts, etc.

Portland City Grill is a nice place to go for a view of the city - the food's nothing special though - go at night, it has window seating on the 30th floor.

As far as Breweries go I recommend Rogue, Cascade and Breakside.

So far I've been told these places are rad:

Ace Hotel
Horning's Hideout*
PokPok*
Powell's*
Ground Kontrol*
Portland City Grill
Milo/Pier/BlueLake
Rogue/Cascade/Breakside

* = definitely going

I'm surprised Voodoo isn't on that list - It's overrated if you ask me so I guess it's a good thing it's not on your list but usually when people hear I'm from Portland that's the first thing they bring up.

If you do decide to go, be prepared for Disneyland long lines, rude staff and average donuts.

I'm surprised Voodoo isn't on that list - It's overrated if you ask me so I guess it's a good thing it's not on your list but usually when people hear I'm from Portland that's the first thing they bring up.

If you do decide to go, be prepared for Disneyland long lines, rude staff and average donuts.

I didn't seem to have that problem down at the one in Eugene. The lines were a little long, but the doughnuts were great and the people working in there were cool, they even gave me some free stuff with all the doughnuts I bought before I left.

Had a friend send me this list...any advice?

Random stuff to do
Lan Su Chinese Garden
Powell's Bookstore
Forest Park
International Rose Test Garden
Portland Saturday Market

Food
OX is the current hot sh*t restaurant in Portland. I haven't been there but its supposed to be awesome
Pok Pok (and its sister bar the Whiskey Soda Lounge) – Pok Pok is some of the best food I've ever had in my entire life
Sen Yai – this is a thai noodle joint from the ninja chef at Pok Pok.
Sok Sab Bai – Cambodian food. I tried the food cart now, they have a restaurant now.
The Fireside – Haven't been here but it's supposed to be great. Upscale campfire food.
Laurelhurst Market -- Badass butcher shop and restaurant. Eat some marrow bones while you're there. Mmmmmmm
Stumptown Coffee -- world famous coffee roasters. Stumptown coffee is truly awesome
Voodoo Donut -- you will probably have to wait in line awhile to get donuts. Totally worth it.
Food Carts – Portland is a major food cart town with pods all over. Great street food. http://www.foodcartsportland.com/maps/
Dive Bars -- http://pdx.eater.com/archives/2012/11/27/portlands-iconic-dive-bars.php

There is a McMenamins in Forest Grove, which is about a 25 min. drive from Horning's. They also have their own 9 hole disc golf course on-site. Reasonably priced rooms and a pretty cool atmosphere as someone already mentioned. They brew their own beer (the Terminator stout is decent) and they roast their own coffee (awesome). Crystal Hotel is also cool in downtown and close to everything. They have live music every night in the basement bar and top end shows in the Crystal Ballroom next door. We've stayed at these a number of times and always recommend them. Make sure you play Pier! :thmbup:

check out the kava bar (forgot the name, but they serve kava)

Hit up the food carts (very unique imo)

take a drive down to whistlers bend if you have the time too......beautiful course!

Casa Diablo: Vegan Strip Club ;)

Yah know, by October things will be different ... check here from time to time.

Oh, and don't forget to grab a "Keep Portland Weird" bumper sticker ;p

McMenamins is always a little funky and fun. Not sure if they are honeymoon destinations but a good time nonetheless. Mothers Cafe is great for breakfast I highly recommend it. My girl loves Slappy Cakes for the bloodies, and of course you get them by the pitcher.

Hub Brewery!!

Played a couple courses on the Northend, not sure which. Hornings maybe? Great course tho, lots of long fairways with good amount of trees on the sides. Interested to see everyone else's responses about which courses to play. Will be there this summer.

Enjoy your trip! Face it, you can't go wrong when the cities motto is...."Keep Protland weird". It's been a while, but The underground tours are suppose to be cool.

Heading there in July, this thread has some great spots listed already. Keep em coming...

Well lets see

alhambra theater (used to be Mt Tabor Theater)
for Beer: Hub, Burnside, Rock Bottom, Black Lab, and many more. there are tons of bars and brew houses around
Places to play: from downtown it is 30 min or so to 90% of the courses
local info: http://www.nwdiscgolfnews.com/forum/index.php

If you want someone to show you around.. The Men and Women of DGOD are all ways down for a round... just ask and will show you any thing

Hippy007

HUB is an excellent little brewery. The one on Williams over by the Bicycle Mechanic/Frame building school is pretty nice. I sampled pretty much all of their beers in the two weeks I was there and don't remember a bad one. The french fries were top notch too, similar to ones I had in Europe.

Gotta Play Pier Park and Horning's Hideout.

I stayed here... Friendly Bike Guest House... and couldn't have been happier.

Latest posts