• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Potential tech standards changes?

Its possible this is an attempt by Innova to either hurt the young competitive companies or to ease their own cost of production. Either way i don't want them to change what's available. Its really up to the park and city authority if they want to risk putting in a disc golf course and tee pad/hole placement should be done responsibly.

So, Steve Rico posted this on Facebook, and the thumbnail is Hammer's avatar. Hammer is now a celebrity.

Unfortunately, he hasn't commented. It be interesting to know his thoughts on the matter.

Ha, if you think any of the new companies have made any real dent in Innova's market share, then you probably think that tournament players and players who care enough to post about disc golf on the internet are a representative sample of the whole disc golf population. They're not. Prodigy seems to be doing ok, but Innova's still selling discs as fast as they can crank them out.

That doesn't mean their not salty dog's. I meant in more of a "family" sense. You bet your ass they would love to see em tank!

Lawn Darts and disc golf? How can you use those in the same sentence?

Wait... who is associated with Discmania? Oh yeah, Innova!:(

Non-biased rants will be non-unbiasedly read.:p

Lawn darts show how easily it is for a product to become banned over loud complaints with little data to back up how much of a "danger it is".

Disc golf can get buried easily.. look how hard food industry is getting slammed by myths on the internet, even leading to legislature dictating food service in schools, over myths.. hysteria.

That is why even a putter.. is dangerous, striking a child could result in death, theirs and disc golf. So why are we focusing on limiting the "assault" discs rather than course design as stated in previous post? Bystander safety is really what this is coming down to, and if a course puts bystanders in conceivable paths of discs, it needs to get closed and replanned.

Last edited:
I just wish he would elaborate, in a well-thought out presentation for the Disc Golf masses, on what he meant by "sustainability"

:::cough, SpinTV, cough:::

I just wish he would elaborate, in a well-thought out presentation for the Disc Golf masses, on what he meant by "sustainability"

My bet is that he won't elaborate. I think that "sustainability" is a code for safety issues (Which Chuck said way back at the beginning of the thread). He can't say "safety" directly, on the record, because it might be used against Innova in same potential future lawsuit.

The reason he doesn't want data is because the "data" is people getting hurt.

Look, one day some toddler or baby is going to be hospitalized, or worse, by a disc. It is more likely that it will be by a high speed driver than a mid-range. I've seen many people hit by discs. Only one instance required medical attention (stitches). That person was hit by a max weight, speed 13 driver.

I'm not sure I am in favor of the new restriction, but can see his point, assuming I'm right with my interpretation.

somewhere back on page 29 or a poster claimed that espn or such told the pdga to make better catching targets...

is this true?
i suck at googling stuff their and can't find anything.

wow, 4 days of reading this and all it's tangents has worn me out... ;)

I don't understand how slowing the discs down will make any real difference in safety. Getting hit in the head by a Roc is going to hurt just as much as one from a Destroyer. It probably wouldn't cut because of the rim profile, but it would still hurt which I feel is the only thing we're talking about here. I don't think taking a step back would be good. I have a Destroyer and a Wraith in my bag and I throw them equally as far, so I don't see the point from my perspective

I'm no physicist, but I'd love to hear from one on this topic. Is the amount of inertia (and therefore potential danger) of a speed 13 disc at 50-100 ft traveled that much greater than a speed 10 disc? If your arm speed at release is the exact same, does a wider rimmed driver travel at a faster speed for a longer period of time? Faster discs do travel farther, but is that because they retain their velocity (and therefore potential danger) for a longer period of the flight?

Here's a better question: if someone on the board of the Professional Lawn Darts Association (doubt that exists) had reduced the weight of the darts prior to a heavily publicized accident, would lawn darts still exist? That is, will a precautionary measure like the one they're proposing actual have any effect when a lawyer or a local tribe of soccer moms decides that erasing the sport of disc golf is their new pastime?

I'm no physicist, but I'd love to hear from one on this topic. Is the amount of inertia (and therefore potential danger) of a speed 13 disc at 50-100 ft traveled that much greater than a speed 10 disc?

The hit of a disc will feel less painful and cause less damage if you spread the point of contact over a wider area (aka mids vs drivers). Same reason you can lie on a bed of nails safely but lie on one and it'll puncture you.

34869228.jpg

The hit of a disc will feel less painful and cause less damage if you spread the point of contact over a wider area (aka mids vs drivers). Same reason you can lie on a bed of nails safely but lie on one and it'll puncture you.

I see your point. Faster drivers are "sharper". But the point of contact on a speed 10 disc isn't going to be much larger than a speed 13. The measure that determines the speed of the disc is the width of the wing, not the sharpness of the edge.

The physics side of my question was more for my own interest. I don't think it would matter in a legal situation where someone was suing a DG manufacturer, which is what these proposed tech changes are about.
I still just struggle to see how the proposed changes would have any effect if Suzy Nerftheworld decides to rid the world of disc golf.

To me, the whole things seems like Innova is afraid they'll be sued at some point, and want to be able to show to the court, "hey, we tried to make the sport safer".

You know the idea of going back to a bamboo pole vaults or wooden tennis racquets is interesting, but has anybody thought about the idea that most or at least a lot of courses out there are simply to easy?
If technology makes a disc fly better and further shouldn't we make our courses harder?

You know the idea of going back to a bamboo pole vaults or wooden tennis racquets is interesting, but has anybody thought about the idea that most or at least a lot of courses out there are simply to easy?
If technology makes a disc fly better and further shouldn't we make our courses harder?

Lots of people have thought of that. Part of the problem is that the majority of courses in the ground already were designed as short par 3 courses and there's not much that can be done for most of them. On top of that, it's tough to get the land to put in a longer course with par 4 and 5 holes, and it's tough to convince park districts that it's worth putting in that kind of course when a pitch n putt will serve just as many of their constituents.

I see your point. Faster drivers are "sharper". But the point of contact on a speed 10 disc isn't going to be much larger than a speed 13. The measure that determines the speed of the disc is the width of the wing, not the sharpness of the edge.

Yeah, I kind of shimmied around the whole "why are speed 13's more dangerous than speed 10's?" topic. Really, it's just because they move faster. Immediately out of the hand, they may be pretty close, but you're more likely to hit someone a couple hundred feet of the pad where the speed difference should be a bit greater.

Latest posts