• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Practice and playing with a family at home

..welcome to adulting...

...Pick and choose what is important...

...Just try and move things around so you get some golf time, but make sure you watch for balance. Sunrise on a weekend can be good... house is still asleep when you get back from a round. You sacrifice sleeping in, but balance and choices that's adulting.

Great advice.

I'm fortunate enough to have a decent course within 5 minutes and here in the PNW sunrise is 0500 and sunset is 2100, but most weekdays I only get a 30-35 minutes of discretionary time, so I play the first six on day 1, the second six on day 2, and finish on day 3. Adult living is all about balance.

On Sunday's my family sleeps in, so I started an early morning dubs to maximize my limited free time.

In Minneapolis there is a 9 hole course on the Wabun picnic area. It just so happens to have an amazing playground complex next to it and Minnehaha falls down the road. Wabun plays par 19 and can realistically be played by tweens and younger, followed by the playground and falls.

Thank you guys for advices. Yeah just gonna have to figure some times out for least 3-5 rounds a month. Hoping to get a basket soon. Make practice easier and maybe I won't go crazy putting or throwing to nothing lol

Last edited:
Yeah just gonna have to figure some times out for least 3-5 rounds a month. Hoping to get a basket soon. Make practice easier and maybe I won't go crazy putting or throwing to nothing lol

One session per week will cover your 3-5 times per month goal. You should be able to work that out.

You can get a cheapo knock-off practice basket for under $70 shipped that will allow you to manage the in between times. ;) How much room do you have to play with?

One session per week will cover your 3-5 times per month goal. You should be able to work that out.

You can get a cheapo knock-off practice basket for under $70 shipped that will allow you to manage the in between times. ;) How much room do you have to play with?

Do you mean price for basket? Yeah not a lot of room. I did find one on offer up for 70 a innova travel basket so ima look into that Friday or search if that one is gone by then

Find a weekly league. That gets you your 4 rounds a month and it's precisely my playing schedule. I'm 31, wife, 3 year old, 9 month old. Consistency is key, especially if you are both working and you have young ones. If the wife knows "Tuesdays" are disc days then it will be the norm. I get in the occasional weekend round and many times I just run out and play alone so I can be out and back in a few hours. I enjoy playing with people but have always enjoyed playing alone and listening to music, so that was not really a sacrifice for me.

Anytime my wife mentions a girls night, spa, nails, gym day, whatever I never hesitate to say go for it and I don't piss and moan about staying home with the kids. My wife does not have any sort of hobby or obsession like I do with disc golf, so it's not like she has a weekly league to go to.

You need a basket for sure. I have a good size yard and I will run out the back door a few times a day, hit a few putts, throw a few shots, and come back in. It's no different than taking a long duece while reading DGCR forums. My 3 year old loves playing in the yard while I am throwing discs as well. He will throw a few but is mostly flipping rocks and calling me over to take a look at his latest bug discovery. The point is he is outside where I like him to be and is out of Mom's hair for a while. It's a win/win/win.

Sometimes we go to a disc golf course with a playground and play as a family. We let the kids call it and head to the playground when they start to show the signs. 9 holes is typically the most we get in, sometimes less. The important thing for me is not going there expecting to get in a full round or serious practice. I focus on what is happening. Doing the thing that I love with the people I love. It's bliss for me.

1. Get a basket for home. I'm lucky, I've got enough land to have 6 hole putter course, but it doesn't matter. Even 15 minutes of putting practice helps feed the addiction.

2. Take your kid disc golfing, early and often. My son is 6, and has been "playing" 18 hole rounds since he was 3.

3. Accept that you are playing, most of the time, on "family time", so every hour you borrow you will somehow need to reciprocate. Offer your spouse the opportunity to engage in her personal activities. This is simplified if you are successful with #2.

I'm 47 years old, have 1 kid in college and one in kindergarten (long story) and run one of the 250 largest craft breweries in the country. I coach baseball, soccer and basketball. I'm the chairman of my town's Parks & Rec Committee. I play at least one full round a week and putt almost every day 8 months a year. How? I'm not entirely sure but it has to do with priorities and time management. I do a lot of yard practice at 5AM. I squeeze rounds into my work day when traveling. And I take my boy with me often, giving mom some quiet time. My home course is about 4 miles from my house, so I also get many of my rounds in at 6AM Sunday. I play 18 and i'm home before my family finishes breakfast.

Thank you guys for advices. Yeah just gonna have to figure some times out for least 3-5 rounds a month. Hoping to get a basket soon. Make practice easier and maybe I won't go crazy putting or throwing to nothing lol

My wife and I are both in our 50's, and our teenagers are pretty self-sufficient. But, she sees DG as an excuse to get away from the family! Even gave me S a couple of weeks ago when I went out for some field work - during her 2 hour hair appointment!! :wall:

Mostly I just try to rounds in when she has something else going on, which isn't often. She's not interested in going, even for the walking and the kids have no interest either. Early Sunday rounds usually work out best.

The best thing I've worked out is finding time when we are on Vacations, either late afternoon when they are napping, or early morning rounds before they get up on travel day. Actually got to play some pretty good courses that way, Bellamy in Dover, NH, Sunset in Vegas and Bill Frederick in Orlando. (Only got to play one there, because "Gates open at 8am" means just that!) :thmbdown:

A practice basket is a good idea, we usually pick out our own presents for Birthday, Father's Day, etc. That would be a perfect Fathers Day gift from your little one!!

Latest posts