• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Practicing disc golf in a barn or warehouse (michigan)?

compn

Birdie Member
anybody in SE michigan have a warehouse to practice some disc throws?

its too cold outside and my arm is forgetting how to throw already! help!

To quote Brady Hoke.. "This is Michigan, for Christ's sake"

Put on your cold weather gear, grab a couple hand warmers, something to keep you warm on the inside (preferably corn-based and barrel aged) and go throw!

You could also practice in your house. Hang a clothes line up and a thick blanket over the line and practice throwing into it. I prefer do a stand still- Helps with seeing hip rotation and throwing on a straight line

There is an indoor putting league out at Sunnybrook in Sterling Heights. Too much of a drive on a weekday for me, though. You could find out details on Disc Golf Scene. I would love to hear of someone with a pole barn or such put together a few nights of putting. Get a few guys over, toss some puts, play some tunes, drink a couple cold ones. Sadly, I have a full small garage.

Put on your cold weather gear, grab a couple hand warmers, something to keep you warm on the inside (preferably corn-based and barrel aged) and go throw!

While I agree on the premise. Putting in a foot of snow, in temps in the teens, with three layers of clothes on.....is not necessarily the prime practice conditions. Good way to pick up bad habits.

i play in a lot of bad weather. i've played in straight up downpours, thunderstorms, snowing, wind storms, 1-3 inch snow.

but 1 foot of snow? no, cant do it. i'm either blinded or wind chill'd or the plastic is too cold and it shatters or my hands are too cold, no grip, incorrect friction.

also i'm a roller so i cant really roll on snow.
i just got cabin fever!

i'll look up the place in sterling heights, thanks.

It'll make you appreciate summer golf even more. Should pretend like you're rocky training in the snow.

If it wasn't so inconvenienty located for me, I'd be all over the putting league at Sunnybrook.

I only started getting into winter golf the last few years... it can be fun, but to a certain extent, it does become a different game. Often you can't really step into a throw (X step with any run-up is is completely out of the question where there's ice or relatively deep snow), so it's a lot of stand and deliver. Throw on layers and your distance is further compromised. Discs behave a bit differntly in the denser, drier, colder air. It takes a hearty soul to hump through deep snow on hilly terrain with a 20 disc bag. Also as ru4por intimated, I'm not sure it's really beneficial in terms of improving your game.

But if you plan and equip accordingly, it can still be fun. Ultimately IMHO, it's really depends on one's my frame of mind. There are days I feel like "no way in hell I wanna go out in that crap". Might be the same conditions a week later, and I'm all eager to suit up, get out there and embrace winter.

If it wasn't so inconvenienty located for me, I'd be all over the putting league at Sunnybrook.

I only started getting into winter golf the last few years... it can be fun, but to a certain extent, it does become a different game. Often you can't really step into a throw (X step with any run-up is is completely out of the question where there's ice or relatively deep snow), so it's a lot of stand and deliver. Throw on layers and your distance is further compromised. Discs behave a bit differntly in the denser, drier, colder air. It takes a hearty soul to hump through deep snow on hilly terrain with a 20 disc bag. Also as ru4por intimated, I'm not sure it's really beneficial in terms of improving your game.

But if you plan and equip accordingly, it can still be fun. Ultimately IMHO, it's really depends on one's my frame of mind. There are days I feel like "no way in hell I wanna go out in that crap". Might be the same conditions a week later, and I'm all eager to suit up, get out there and embrace winter.

Spot on as usual. I was dreaming, that some golfer near us would come on here, saying he has a great pole barn, with heat, just waiting to invite a handful of us over for an evening a week.......anyone.....I'll bring some beer.....hello...

Sad part is there are probably are quite a few suitable buildings in the area... older factories and warehouses that were closed down when the economy went south 5-6 years and never reopened.

We just need to find such a place, convince the owner(s) no one else wants that place, and figure out tohow to pay for the heat/light. Sure, we could do pay to play, but now you need someone to be there all day to collect/enforce/run the place - not saying it couldn't happen, but...
Call me Mr. Sunshine, but I sure as hell don't wanna deal with it.

That said, if someone else wanted to head up such an operation, I'd be more than willing help clean the place up do whatever was needed to whip it into shape, as well as patronize the joint.

Ya winter golf kinda sucks I still do it but your gAme is only at like 50% with all the layers on it really messes Ya up. I'm in mishawaka indiana bout 20 minutes from Michigan. No wonder Most of the greats live were its warm lol.

I am trying to recover my game from winter golf. It just isn't the same, but it is better than not playing at all. I want to see what would happen if I lived in warmer climates. Would my game stay consistent and even see improvement without all the ups and downs?

No he's not. I'm 61 and I played in a blizzard yesterday. I call it adventure golf. Forget about long drives and rollers, get your asses outside and have some fun. Go big or stay home.

Come back and talk to me after playing all winter for 25 years, Grandpa. :p

Latest posts