• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Premium plastic mid lineups

Alexplz

Double Eagle Member
Hey dudes,

I'm looking at possibly replacing a KC/DX Rancho Roc cycle with premium plastic mids. Presently I'm not far invested in the cycle and have a beat KC, some DX, and a comet and possibly mortar as US/OS bookends.

Alternatively I'm thinking of bagging a tursas as an US mid and one of the following two lineups:

TP Tursas 174g
Star Mako3 175ish g
Star 175ishg or beat champ 180g Roc3, cycle in the star maybe
Mortar or the like

-OR-

TP Tursas 174g
Ti Buzzz 175ish g / a BuzzzSS+Buzzz combo
Mortar or the like, possibly a BuzzzOS+zone combo

My fairways are speed 6-7 innova and my driving putters are judges, shields or pures, if that matters.

I don't see a clear advantage of one over the other, aside from the fact that the leaps in stability are possibly more evenly spaced between mortar / roc3 / mako3 / tursas vs the possible overlap between beefy Z buzzz / buzzzSS / tursas. I think if anything the idea of slimming down to a tursas / beefy buzzz / mortar sounds the nicest. Thoughts?

I'm looking at a kind of similar situation. Currently trying a comet and gila mid set up but I just am not confident with the way the comet feels in the hand.

Anyways the lineup I was looking into trying is Justice, eMac truth, premac truth, evidence/tursas. Might go verdict as opposed to justice but idk yet

I dunno man, truths are kind of fast and don't take kindly to being powered down. I have some nice driving putters for shorter stuff, but then I don't needs mids taking shots from my slow fairways.

That being said, I've considered this and would probably go:

tursas
Bio Emac Truth 177g (sitting on my desk)
Lucid Verdict of some kind
Justice/mortar

I dunno man, truths are kind of fast and don't take kindly to being powered down. I have some nice driving putters for shorter stuff, but then I don't needs mids taking shots from my slow fairways.

That being said, I've considered this and would probably go:

tursas
Bio Emac Truth 177g (sitting on my desk)
Lucid Verdict of some kind
Justice/mortar
I almost never power down my mids because: putters.

So, even though I change up my bag more than anyone I know(I switch out stuff to play the two courses at our park), I always have:Verdict/Bard/EMac/Evidence, then N. Envy/E. Envy/Pure/Vertex or Theory.

Does anyone see a huge overlap between premac truth and evidence? I like the idea of the same feel but I don't want too much overlap.

Does anyone see a huge overlap between premac truth and evidence? I like the idea of the same feel but I don't want too much overlap.

I dropped my regular Truth when I fell in love with the Evidence. I mean, they are not exactly the same, but close enough that I could drop one, and there was no way I was dropping the Evidence.

I'd go Tursas/Pine or Bard. I use the bard exclusively in the mid department. It's like the best Roc3 no one uses.

I've tooled around with premium mids for about a year and have pretty much solidified my lineup. All 180g c-line or champion:
Md4 - overstable, windy, hyzer and click shots
Md3 (flat top) - straight with a reliable fade.
Md2 (semi flat) - s curve action
Mako3 - gentle turnovers or hyzerflips

What i love about this setup is the consistent feel discs to disc; even with 4 molds they all feel very similar. Some others that I also like are c-line md, g-line md3, and infinite chariot and all fly fairly similar to what I bag. Premium plastic and headless or microbes mids is not everyone's cup of tea, but I can't get enough of them. I've had the same mids in the bag for 6 months and they haven't changed much.

TP Tursas 174g

I've got this setup (but have a Meteor in place of a Tursas). And though I don't like recommending Swedish plastic stateside, the Tursas is a good pair with a Buzzz. Same concave angle on the wing. They feel alike in the hand.

^Meh, not that they feel entirely different, but that's like saying a Roc and Spider feel the same in the hand. Disregarding feel, Tursas is an awesome mold. I eventually switched back to a Fuse (started Fuse, tried Tursas, went back to Fuse) but YMMV...we're all different.

Both molds were a temporary love affair that tried to get in the way of Cobras for me. Eventually I went back to Cobras which I've thrown for years and years. Currently carrying base Buzzz' but no matter what I'll always cherish times with the Cobra. 11/10 roller

Hey dudes,

I'm looking at possibly replacing a KC/DX Rancho Roc cycle with premium plastic mids. Presently I'm not far invested in the cycle and have a beat KC, some DX, and a comet and possibly mortar as US/OS bookends.

Alternatively I'm thinking of bagging a tursas as an US mid and one of the following two lineups:

TP Tursas 174g
Star Mako3 175ish g
Star 175ishg or beat champ 180g Roc3, cycle in the star maybe
Mortar or the like

-OR-

TP Tursas 174g

My fairways are speed 6-7 innova and my driving putters are judges, shields or pures, if that matters.

I don't see a clear advantage of one over the other, aside from the fact that the leaps in stability are possibly more evenly spaced between mortar / roc3 / mako3 / tursas vs the possible overlap between beefy Z buzzz / buzzzSS / tursas. I think if anything the idea of slimming down to a tursas / beefy buzzz / mortar sounds the nicest. Thoughts?

I'd probably take the best of both worlds: spotting you the Tursas, I'd add the Mako3 and the Ti Buzzz, then a Mortar, Zone, or my favorite, the Hornet...

Side note: I may need to try a Mortar. Keep hearing lots of positive things about it.

Mortar
Verdict/Roc3
Z Buzzz SS/Star Mako3
TP Tursas

<3

Man there are a lot of good mids. My biggest headscratcher left at this point is - will the BuzzzSS start to overlap with the Tursas if I'm not careful? The SS I used to own was actually plenty stable for my power at the time, so maybe I'd be OK.

Same concern with the Star Mako3 - say I throw it on practically every hole, and pull out the Tursas only on technical shots... I could see the Mako3 beating into overlap. At that point I might consider grabbing a JL Mako3, likely max weight. Can anyone comment on the relative stability and life cycle of the star and JL Mako3s?

Latest posts