• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pro Worlds Tiered Registration (not the way you think)

biscoe

* Ace Member *
from the PDGA website:

Friday April 17
REGISTRATION OPENS FOR TWO WEEKS TO INTERNATIONAL (NON-NORTH AMERICAN) INVITEES ONLY.
This applies only to the reserved International spots (approx. 20-25%) in the division(s) for which they were invited.
Any drops prior to July 25th receive a full refund (minus the handling charges) and their space is filled with new registrants (or off the waitlist) as needed.

Friday, May 1st
REGISTRATION OPENS FOR ONE WEEK TO CANADIAN INVITEES ONLY.
This applies only to the reserved Canadian spots (approx. 2- 3%) and any leftover International spots in the division(s) for which they were invited.

Friday, May 8th
REGISTRATION OPENS FOR FOUR WEEKS TO PRO INVITEES FOR THE DIVISIONS FOR WHICH THEY WERE INVITED.
If a division fills, then a waitlist will be started only for invitees of the division in the order they are received.
Note: One spot in each division is held for the 2014 World Champion to register during this period ONLY. If not registered by June 4th, the spots are released.

Why does it matter what country the pros are from? Why not just open registration for everybody at the same time?

If international players constitute X% of the PDGA membership, I do think they deserve that percentage of the spots reserved for them initially. They still have to pay the travel bill to make it over here. If Worlds is ever held in Europe some day, North Americans should get the same arrangement.

The worry I suppose is that Europeans who might make it over will register and hold those spots up until the last minute and then cancel, when someone who didn't have to cross the pond could have had things arranged beforehand.

Fastest computer wins!

Doesn't bother me to let the Euros make their travel plans, but when it gets to the Americans, I would like to see ratings-tiered registration. I couldn't get into the Masters Cup this year, but a bunch of 930 guys got in. When I sent in my e-reg after 9 a.m. the website said I was too soon. When I re-entered it a minute later, I was fourth on the freaking waitlist (which hasn't moved one iota in 3 weeks). The exact same thing could happen for worlds to a lot of good players in every division.

It would be nice if everyone could sign up and then the higher rated players would get into the event before lower rated players.

The competition manual actually states

In the event that multiple entries are received simultaneously, the player with the lowest PDGA number shall have priority.

So not ratings-tiered registration...

Registration for Worlds should be previous years points tiered, not ratings tiered. Ratings bob up and down, points are earned. There should also be an event minimum and a maximum on points that can be counted from a single event. I'm not sure what those numbers should be.

Anyone rated under 970 shouldn't even be allowed to play Open ("pro") at an NT event.

The people rated over 970 who depend of those folks for "added cash" might take issue with that.

Last edited:
How is this different from previous years (for those of us who don't know)?

And why is it a crock?

Never (to my knowledge) been based on geography before.

A (theoretical) 980 rated Euro is assured a spot while a 1030 rated American has to enter the keyboard race to get in.

The internet exists and is the method of registration for all players. Why should there be any geographic favoritism granted?

I am all for ratings based tiered registration for worlds and NT events.

Anyone rated under 970 shouldn't even be allowed to play Open ("pro") at an NT event.

There's a reason it's called "Open" instead of "Pro" :doh:

That said, I do think the higher rated players should get priority registration for NTs

Worlds invitations are not based on skill. They're based on earning points. You don't have to win or even place well to earn enough points to qualify, you just have to attend enough events to accumulate them (though obviously the better you are, the fewer events you need to get the minimum).

They've given EVERYONE several months notice as far as the timetable for registration goes. The registration schedule was announced at the end of last year, not four days ago. If the players that "deserve" to go to Worlds the most can't plan 4-5 months ahead to be in a position to sign up the instant registration is open to them, I don't know what to tell you.

If the PDGA is going to change registration criteria to be ratings-based, then they need to announce their intentions of doing so before qualifying even begins. In other words, it's about 15 months too late to be changing anything now, which is why they haven't added a ratings criteria.

If you want ratings criteria for Worlds, it has to start no sooner than 2016 Worlds and even at that, it has to be decided NOW.

If the players that "deserve" to go to Worlds the most can't plan 4-5 months ahead to be in a position to sign up the instant registration is open to them, I don't know what to tell you.

The same could be said for the international players.

Why should there be any geographic favoritism granted?
Because there's already geographic favoritism involved once the Worlds location is selected. Even inside of the U.S. this is true. I'd venture once the registration lists populates, there are going to be more eastern U.S. people on it than western ones for all too obvious reasons.

Admittedly, the geographically reserved spots should be temporary, and that allotment should eventually opened up to everyone (and done so well in advance of the event) if people eligible for the reserved spots don't fill them.

Points worked for a long time simply because they didn't really have to work because everyone got in anyway. As soon as worlds began to fill the shortcomings of points became obvious.

If you believe minimum participation in PDGA events should be the primary criteria for invites, then using point minimums still makes sense.

Because there's already geographic favoritism involved once the Worlds location is selected. Even inside of the U.S. this is true. I'd venture once the registration lists populates, there are going to be more eastern U.S. people on it than western ones for all too obvious reasons.

That is favoritism of result as opposed to favoritism of opportunity.

Obviously there will be more "local" players who are able to commit to the time and expense of playing than there will be people from farther away. A player from Pittsburgh however is not granted preferential registration over a player from Oregon. A player from Helsinki, on the other hand is granted preferential registration over them both.

It is also still WAY too easy to qualify. I qualified by playing a grand total of 3 C tiers and 2 B tiers in 2014. No way should that be the case.

If you believe minimum participation in PDGA events should be the primary criteria for invites, then using point minimums still makes sense.

An event minimum would make more sense than a point minimum. What would make even more sense is a ratings minimum coupled with an event minimum.

Latest posts