• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pro Worlds Tiered Registration (not the way you think)

Worlds invitations are not based on skill. They're based on earning points. You don't have to win or even place well to earn enough points to qualify, you just have to attend enough events to accumulate them (though obviously the better you are, the fewer events you need to get the minimum).

They've given EVERYONE several months notice as far as the timetable for registration goes. The registration schedule was announced at the end of last year, not four days ago. If the players that "deserve" to go to Worlds the most can't plan 4-5 months ahead to be in a position to sign up the instant registration is open to them, I don't know what to tell you.

If the PDGA is going to change registration criteria to be ratings-based, then they need to announce their intentions of doing so before qualifying even begins. In other words, it's about 15 months too late to be changing anything now, which is why they haven't added a ratings criteria.

If you want ratings criteria for Worlds, it has to start no sooner than 2016 Worlds and even at that, it has to be decided NOW.

I agree with this IF it doesn't fill nearly instantly - and time will tell on that one. But if it fills within minutes and he with the fastest connection ends up winning than this could get ugly.

I actually do like the points system and wouldn't mind a tiered registration based on points for worlds. That way the big time touring pros would still be given a reasonable time to sign up based on the points they have earned since they earn them at a higher rate. For your "average" pro - get to a lot of tournies the prior year and earn it.

I agree with this IF it doesn't fill nearly instantly - and time will tell on that one. But if it fills within minutes and he with the fastest connection ends up winning than this could get ugly.

Thing is, even last year when Worlds filled so fast, it wasn't within minutes...it took a couple days. I realize that the NTs are filling in minutes this year, but Worlds is a bit of a different beast. For NTs like the Memorial or Ledgestone, anyone can sign up. With Worlds, it's a much smaller pool of players trying to get in in the first place. That alone reduces the chances of an insta-fill.

An event minimum would make more sense than a point minimum. What would make even more sense is a ratings minimum coupled with an event minimum.
I wasn't saying I agreed with points only, just that it's the way it works now, participation is the key factor for invites.

I'm not saying I know what the answer is but a change in the way spots are allocated to tourneys is going to have to take place if tourneys continue to fill in minutes and with as many new members as we have now I see the problem getting worse not better.

20 years ago when I played my first Worlds it was points based and compared with other players in your same region. For example 500 points probably would not have earned an invite if you lived in mi/in/oh because even 20 years ago there were 100 other pros with 500 points in those 3 states, but would have earned the invite if you lived in Taiwan or Thailand or even Tokyo because the number of players in that region was so small

Worlds needs to be only the top rated players in the worlds. Even with the points rated system, that doesnt stop some 920 rated player from getting enough points and then taking a spot from a top pro in worlds.

Just watch, it will happen this year. Some low am players will take the spots of some top pros who wont be able to get in.

Worlds needs to be only the top rated players in the worlds. Even with the points rated system, that doesnt stop some 920 rated player from getting enough points and then taking a spot from a top pro in worlds.

Just watch, it will happen this year. Some low am players will take the spots of some top pros who wont be able to get in.

I hope you are right and this low rated am is the one who does it....:thmbup:

Ams don't get invited to Pro Worlds.

Pro points doesn't mean they've finished with am status. Anyone can play mpo and earn pro points.

What part of "Only Pro members are invited to Pro Worlds" implies that ams are included? That has nothing to do with points. It has everything to do with membership status.

Only pro points count...for PRO MEMBERS.

Why is this so complicated?