• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Problems getting distance with FH throws..

You could get more distance with a less stable disc. I throw a Surge (or Wraith) an easy 350+. I'll throw a Star Katana too if I really want to open up and have an s curve in the flight.

Personally, FH just doesn't go as far as BH, When i first started in August, I threw BH horribly so i switched to FH, I got consistently farther drives. Since my BH form has improved, FH distance has been overshadowed. I would be ecstatic to hit 350' FH, but BH, that's not all that great for me. Hitting 315-325 FH consistently is great. But BH allows for much more distance. I think it's a snap thing. The snap of the disc after you've slingshotted your arm across your body is greater than forcing snap with just your arm and wrist. BH uses the entire body more than FH. IMO

I have thrown forehand for all my discgolf life. I am 61 and can throw about 310-320. there are very few courses I play that i am underpowered. one technique a pro advised me to consider when things start to go south is to stand flatfooted and just use the leg, hips, shoulder and arm to fling the disc. the idea being to "re-align the shot". you have to keep track of your distance after each session. he recommended doing this for about 10 days. then slowly, and I mean slowly, at about 75% power begin to use your normal throwing routine with however many steps you take.....once again keeping track of the distance. the urge is to just go out and power the hell out of it but restraint will get you more distance. as you begin to "re-align" all the parts of the shot increase the power to the shot and you should see marked improvement...good luck.
I don't know if this is the same for everyone else, or even typical, but I get NO additional distance from a run-up on my (RH) FH drives. I only lose accuracy and consistency. From a standstill, I can hit 375-400 feet on a consistent basis. The key for me was to focus less on the arm (other than to keep it tucked in and use a nice, easy motion) and really concentrate on imparting as much spin as possible (via wrist flick). This will allow the disc to float for a longer time before fading right. As for discs, I generally flick a Star Boss or Champion Destroyer.

One of my buddies throws a FH 450+. You can put all the necessary energies in the disc FH, it's just harder, and possibly requires more natural ability/physical attributes.

I've been throwing forehand pretty frequently for close to a year now. I'm able to consistently hit 350' and on a good flick can get a pretty controlled 400'.

There are a few things in particular that have helped me develop my forehand.

1. Throwing all my discs FH, not just certain ones. I throw FH from any distance if its the throwing style best suited to the shot in front of me, whether it's a 40' layup to the pin or a 400' wooded tee shot. I think players that only drive FH and do everything else BH sometimes don't have the short range, touch control shot developed as well as they could with their forehand. Being able to flick a putter flat and dead straight to a tiny fade 100' out is very useful.

2. Throwing stable discs flat rather than throwing overstable discs anhyzer. I feel like this is a more predictable shot. For a 325' BH hyzer shot is it easier to repeatedly throw Teebirds flat and let them fade, or trying to throw a XXX anhyzer and hope it curves back at the right time? I just apply the same thinking to my FH. I like JLS's, worn OLF's, worn DD's and other straight flying discs as my main FH drivers.

3. Shaping lines. Learning to release the same discs flat, hyzer and anhyzer depending on what line you need. This is an easy way to squeeze out extra D because if I take my seasoned Discmania SDD and flick it hard with some anny, it will gradually drift left for the first 325' or so then go another 75-100' as it pans out and fades for a straight a head finish.

4. FH only putter rounds. Throw a course FH only and bring just your putters. A lot of people are all arm speed and little snap when it comes to FH and have to use overstable discs because of that. If you put little spin on your FH your disc will flip way more easily which is why you always see people having to throw OS molds to have any control. These rounds force you to learn a spin dominant FH style that enables you to throw discs you otherwise would have no chance of flicking in a straight line.

5. Involving my body more. Pivoting on my left foot more after the release, stronger follow through, better kick off with the legs etc.

Still trying to get my FH D to match my BH D. Goal for the summer I guess.

Last edited:
In addition to point number 4 of Mike's post I would pick up some very neutral to under stable putters. Try a few light (under 160) xd's or aero's. You can get three for twenty bucks and when you can flick such a disc naturally on different lines you will find you will get better distance out of faster neutralish discs like a, comet, leopard, Valk, and for high speed I agree with what B. Harris said earlier, a katana is a good choice which will glide out for more distance than a x-cal if you throw it clean.

Latest posts