• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Prodigy] Prodigy Fx-3

Moose33

Stego Connoisseur
Gold level trusted reviewer
Hey guys, there has been a ton of local chatter about this disc but I've seen next to nothing on the web about it. I got a 400 plastic 174 in a players pack and it kind of sat on my shelf since January.

Pulled it out this week to make a video and it is pretty impressive. Numbers are 9/4/-1.5/2 and I found it pretty accurate. Was 350-375 with it backhand and it actually held up to a forehand pretty well too, I threw it like 50% since I thought it might turn over, but it held the line and went about 375, so I decided to push it and threw it 420ft.

Which was a bit shocking to me.

I've heard some people say that they have more and less stable versions, but I've been impressed with mine so far.

Not sure if it will make the bag, but my interest is certainly peaked.

Hey guys, there has been a ton of local chatter about this disc but I've seen next to nothing on the web about it. I got a 400 plastic 174 in a players pack and it kind of sat on my shelf since January.

Pulled it out this week to make a video and it is pretty impressive. Numbers are 9/4/-1.5/2 and I found it pretty accurate. Was 350-375 with it backhand and it actually held up to a forehand pretty well too, I threw it like 50% since I thought it might turn over, but it held the line and went about 375, so I decided to push it and threw it 420ft.

Which was a bit shocking to me.

I've heard some people say that they have more and less stable versions, but I've been impressed with mine so far.

Not sure if it will make the bag, but my interest is certainly peaked.

Piqued*

Sorry man. I have to do it. Every time. For the children.

I have one of these coming in a few days, my hope is that it can compliment my Craves as a faster and more left finishing option.

Piqued*

Sorry man. I have to do it. Every time. For the children.

It's not unappreciated, I tried to spell it correctly and autocorrect said I didn't get close enough lol.

You thrown the disc though? Glide for days.

It's not unappreciated, I tried to spell it correctly and autocorrect said I didn't get close enough lol.

You thrown the disc though? Glide for days.

I'm actually haggling for a trade for one right now! Your post just makes me want it more.

I'm back from a lengthy field session as well as a round at my home course and I'm pretty impressed with this disc. I think the numbers are spot on except for the glide, that should be a 5, so 9/5/-1,5/2 is what I would rate it.

On a hyzer it flips up and rides straight with very little fade and on a flat release it turns a good bit but flattens out nicely and if thrown high enough it fights back a bit. These shots were landing between 120m and 130m (390-425 feet), so a hard pull for me. It powered down pretty well though, but will obviously fly more stable with less power.

I would compare it to a faster Undertaker with slightly less harsh fade. It was less stable than I anticipated but will very likely make the bag, need to test it some more though.

I also got one in a players pack back in the spring. 174g, 400 plastic.

I'm more of a top out at 300 power level. Throwing backhand, it flies significantly more stable for me than discs with comparable numbers. It bombs for me throwing forehand, but I need a lot or room. It is very similar to my board flat Champ Valk.

I bagged it for maybe a month or so, but went back with the F2 that I had pulled for the FX-3. The F2 is a little less touchy and gives me better distance control.

I really, really, really like the FX-3. I received a 400 max weight FX-3 a couple days ago, and gave it some test throws yesterday evening, and compared it with my Dynasty/CD2. As others in the thread mentioned, I too think the flight numbers are pretty spot on. 9/5/-1.5/2 is what I'd give it. Has an easy drift to it, but seems to reliably fade back no matter what. I'm sure the blunt nose has something to do with that. Speaking of the blunt nose, it combined with the 400 plastic make the FX-3 feel very comfortable in hand, moreso than the Dynasty. I didn't see the FX-3 losing out on sheer distance vs the more aerodynamic profile of the Dynasty either. I was throwing both on frozen ropes out to 350 with relative ease.

Only downside? Well, I would love to bag a couple of these to complement my Sexton Firebird and Color Glow FD3 for my teal bag, because they have that same gummy plastic and blunt nose, but none of them come in teal. :( I see a couple greenish FX-3s in 500 plastic that I would love to pick up, but I don't know how 500 compares to 400.

I really, really, really like the FX-3. I received a 400 max weight FX-3 a couple days ago, and gave it some test throws yesterday evening, and compared it with my Dynasty/CD2. As others in the thread mentioned, I too think the flight numbers are pretty spot on. 9/5/-1.5/2 is what I'd give it. Has an easy drift to it, but seems to reliably fade back no matter what. I'm sure the blunt nose has something to do with that. Speaking of the blunt nose, it combined with the 400 plastic make the FX-3 feel very comfortable in hand, moreso than the Dynasty. I didn't see the FX-3 losing out on sheer distance vs the more aerodynamic profile of the Dynasty either. I was throwing both on frozen ropes out to 350 with relative ease.

Only downside? Well, I would love to bag a couple of these to complement my Sexton Firebird and Color Glow FD3 for my teal bag, because they have that same gummy plastic and blunt nose, but none of them come in teal. :( I see a couple greenish FX-3s in 500 plastic that I would love to pick up, but I don't know how 500 compares to 400.

The 500 will be a touch softer and a touch less grippy at times. I like the 400 better. Just picked up a 400 fx3, feels great in the hand that's for sure.

The 500 will be a touch softer and a touch less grippy at times. I like the 400 better. Just picked up a 400 fx3, feels great in the hand that's for sure.

How do they compare in durability and stability?

After throwing a 500 FX-3 for several rounds, my takeaway for at least my particular FX-3 is that 400 plastic is very much a -1/2 while 500 is more like a -2/2.

If anything can put the FX-2 and FX-3 on the map, it's Isaac Robinson. The way that guy was carving up lines with those in the woods this season was unreal. His putter and mid shots were things of beauty as well. Maybe one of the best woods players on tour right now.

If anything can put the FX-2 and FX-3 on the map, it's Isaac Robinson. The way that guy was carving up lines with those in the woods this season was unreal. His putter and mid shots were things of beauty as well. Maybe one of the best woods players on tour right now.

He didn't carve those woods lines. Jesus did.

Threw the FX-3 (500). Good, but it is basically a slightly shorter Plasma Inertia, and my Inertia tends to release more consistently, for my noodle-arm forehand. I don't think it will manage to kick the inertia out...

I've been leaning on mine a lot lately. For controlled backhand shots from 340-380 it gets thrown a bunch. Can make it turn, make it fade.

Has been stealing some shots from my distance drivers.

I can say that new Prodigy stuff does appear to have the "finishing" problems that turned me away from their discs when I first tried them, sorted out. Less flashing and sharp edges...

Last edited:
I can say that new Prodigy stuff does appear to have the "finishing" problems that turned me away from their discs when I first tried them, sorted out. Less flashing and sharp edges...

do you mean "doesnt" ?

All the new stuff is cleaned up really well, no flashing or sharp edges that ive seen.

Both my 400 and 500 FX-3 had very minimal flashing. A far cry from what I've previously seen from Prodigy's discs. The finishing on the 500 is a little weird. Parts of it look chalky.

do you mean "doesnt" ?

All the new stuff is cleaned up really well, no flashing or sharp edges that ive seen.

yeah and I even edited that post for a different mistake :doh: I was trying to compliment Prodigy on their improved finishing.

Latest posts