• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Prodigy] Prodigy M4 - the good /the bad

They don't with the current M3. I heard the Proto M3 is being retooled to be a M2 due to it being more overstable than they wanted. Could just be rumors though but it definitely doesn't overlap in its current form.

This is true, I heard it from Lavonne himself

The same could be said for MVP. They don't even call theirs prototypes or first runs either so, depending upon when you get one, you could wind up with something completely different from the final "draft".

The way Dave is known for tweaking his molds, you could say Innova's discs are in a perpetual state of prototype too.

And none of them should get a pass! MVP isnt claiming to change the game. I can't think of anyone sponsored by them. They are all the old way of doing business, the established companies absolutly should only release discs that are the same everytime. I don't, however, "remember" Innova saying, hey, these are only first runs. The production quality will be better. Who runs these places...? This would be a perfect time for Innova or DC or Lat to step up and promote how they are going to change the game and focus on quality. Bury Prodigy or gain market advantage on each other; but they seemingly sit back content to allow Prodigy to right the ship to mediocracy. They don't seem to compete in a way that results in a better experience for the consumer. They all seem to work so independently. DG is an odd business. If one of these companies hired a true marketing and quality expert from the industry, man, I could see them just taking off. Prodigy included.

And none of them should get a pass! MVP isnt claiming to change the game. I can't think of anyone sponsored by them. They are all the old way of doing business, the established companies absolutly should only release discs that are the same everytime. I don't, however, "remember" Innova saying, hey, these are only first runs. The production quality will be better. Who runs these places...? This would be a perfect time for Innova or DC or Lat to step up and promote how they are going to change the game and focus on quality. Bury Prodigy or gain market advantage on each other; but they seemingly sit back content to allow Prodigy to right the ship to mediocracy. They don't seem to compete in a way that results in a better experience for the consumer. They all seem to work so independently. DG is an odd business. If one of these companies hired a true marketing and quality expert from the industry, man, I could see them just taking off. Prodigy included.

Prodigy didn't claim they were going to change the game through plastic. Once again, that blame lies on the forums (DGCR is probably the most responsible). I truly believe they're wanting to change the game, from the pro side of the game. Selling discs is just their outlet to fund that change (that is just my honest speculation though). On that same token, MVP isn't claiming to change the game, but the forums are. There seems to be a lot of speculation from us disc forum geeks that gets swallowed as fact.

While I agree that the time is ripe for a manufacturer to step up and "out-quality" everyone else, it isn't going to happen. If I had the stones to go for it, I have a perfect business model, working with molding inconsistencies, to release my own line of discs. You know, use the lack of quality AS the quality. If I had better knowledge of plastics and injection molding, perhaps I'd have bigger stones.

You stole that bottom part from gateway bro, admit it

If you're talking about me, no. My model isn't about stocking 800 feels of each mold to satisfy everybody's wishes. While I respect Dave for taking it to that extreme, I wouldn't want that headache. My plan is more simple and would be much more effective.

The whole "lack of quality as quality" part sounds a lot like gateway to me. But its ok, you wouldnt be the first dg manufacturer to copy a terrible idea :)

I feel that Prodigy's whole system is having the same disc in varying levels of being broken in. M1 is new and M4 is a seasoned version of the same mold. They don't really act as completely different molds IMO.

I feel that Prodigy's whole system is having the same disc in varying levels of being broken in. M1 is new and M4 is a seasoned version of the same mold. They don't really act as completely different molds IMO.

Might be true for the drivers but i disagree abou the mids thus far.

The whole "lack of quality as quality" part sounds a lot like gateway to me. But its ok, you wouldnt be the first dg manufacturer to copy a terrible idea :)

Fair enough. While I would exploit that motto, I wouldn't follow Gateway's model...not that any manufacturer's plastic is ever the same.

I haven't thrown the mids, only the drivers. I have seen the videos of people throwing the mids compared to classic molds. I wonder how hard it will be for Prodigy to get people to take the classic mid molds out of their bags. Latitude carved out a niche for themselves in that department. It seems like all the hype has subsided since the drivers. If people like the plastic they may be inclined to try the molds.

With their model they can't change the game without a complete lineup of discs for their players and without selling those molds to help pay those players back who bought into the company. You aren't changing the game by having the top 10 players in the world on the same team. You change it by creating a business model that creates financial security for a professional disc golfer. You do this through disc sales and sponsorship.

With their model they can't change the game without a complete lineup of discs for their players and without selling those molds to help pay those players back who bought into the company. You aren't changing the game by having the top 10 players in the world on the same team. You change it by creating a business model that creates financial security for a professional disc golfer. You do this through disc sales and sponsorship.

So their idea of how to change the game may be different than yours. It's their company, let them run it the way they want.

If these tour players make more money through whatever Prodigy is allowing them to do then the game has been changed. Maybe not for you but certainly all the other touring players. Innova seems to be doing a lot more for their players these days..

I could care about touring players "ll" not sure what that distance is but it is very small. I think a number of them are cool guys, but how they do in a disc golf tournament means nothing to me. What I care about is how companies treat their CUSTOMERS. A pro picking through 100 discs and throwing 20 of them to see what is best means nothing. We have to pay 16.99 for a disc that may or may not be "similar" to one that we recently purchased. Then people push for trophy only tournaments so now you actually have to pay for that crap. Most of the DG companies STINK at quality and it is a shame that we let them get away with it.

I could care about touring players "ll" not sure what that distance is but it is very small. I think a number of them are cool guys, but how they do in a disc golf tournament means nothing to me. What I care about is how companies treat their CUSTOMERS. A pro picking through 100 discs and throwing 20 of them to see what is best means nothing. We have to pay 16.99 for a disc that may or may not be "similar" to one that we recently purchased. Then people push for trophy only tournaments so now you actually have to pay for that crap. Most of the DG companies STINK at quality and it is a shame that we let them get away with it.

I couldn't agree with you more when it comes to ALL the manufactures quality being overall poor and I can't stand when the fan boys pour out saying how one company is so bad. It's EVERY company that is bad.. If were buying discs at almost $20 we should expect them to be the same. Tons of things are made of plastic and stay he same through cycles why can't discs?

I think it's because discs require more precision than most other plastic items. High RPM's = exponential effects of tiny variations.

Spent some time with my M4 yesterday. Damn good disc! Give it a small hyzer and it's the straightest disc I've ever thrown. 300 of the straightest feet I've ever seen. Thrown flat is works a nice S with a little fade at the end. Kicked my Comet out of the bag after one day.