• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Prodigy] Prodigy Premium Plastic

I personally have done this. Intended to order a D4. Bought a D1 by mistake.

I freaked out one day on my way back from Glide that I had accidentally bought an M1 instead of an M4.

Thankfully, I grabbed the right disc.

It's a little annoying, but I'm not a huge hater on the disc naming, and at least the number patterns seem to be consistent (1 = Most overstable, 4 = Most understable, and the tweeners making up the stability difference).

Now if the discs could just be as consistent as the numbering... :popcorn:

The last two posts that is. I don't know how consistent Prodigy is but I'm still baffled on the naming convention topic. Kaiser/Heavy seem to think they're pretty inconsistent, and I've heard that other places as well. I unfortunately only have one proto D1 and one proto D4 so I can't relatively compare, but they both fly like I thought they would. I will find out eventually though.

My D1's are fairly overstable. First run and prod run fly the same.
My D3's are less over stable, they flip up a little, and fade slightly at the end.

If you can't throw with enough power/speed to get these high speed drivers up to their speed needed, they will not fly as they are supposed to just like every other high speed driver by any manufacturer.

@Apoth
Ive seen/heard by prodigy guys calling them 500. Thats what will and paige told me, and thats what ive seen on FB.
However calling it 300 would make more sense to me, that hasnt been my experience, they couldve misspoke or just been mis informed/confused? Idk.

I get their vendor emails after trying to order some drivers before they locked down their website (still not sure if I want to make an order since they've now extended the offer). Their 4/9 email mentioned the PA's would be produced in 500 series plastic.

Their 4/9 email mentioned the PA's would be produced in 500 series plastic.

They don't even mention 500 series plastic on the Putters Page on their website:

"PA1 Putter
This Putt and Approach disc is designed to be over stable
Putters come in packages of 25

Plastic Series –400 (available now), 750 (not yet available), and 300 (not yet available)"

Anyone who is confused about their products is a moron, plain and simple. Even if it is members of their own team. A flight chart would be nice but the naming convention puts their disc types/stability into the simplest of formats. I would say it's more difficult to purchase a disc based off a name. IE) I love legacy but if you don't have a flight chart how do you depict the stability difference between the patriot and the rival. This company was just an example but you could say the same for any other. And don't give me the bs excuse for innova's flight rating chart (speed, glide, turn, fade). We all know how accurate that is from a consistency standpoint. At the end of the day it's not what people are used to so they get their panties up in a bunch. What everything boils down to is consistency in molds. The company that can mass produce the most consistent molds will eventually be the most successful for serious discers, no matter what the naming convention or of those molds might be.

Seem like you are grouping a whole lot of people under the moron category. I kind of see it like Innova selling discs under D S12 G2 T-1 F2... I realize that experience disc buyers would understand the basic flight characteristics, but what kind of marketing is that for the average golfer? "Man you should check out this new 400G D3 I just bought." Most golfer would be befuddled, not just morons. IMO.

DGCR LOGIC:

37242369.jpg

DGCR LOGIC:

37242369.jpg

The poor naming convention is the primary reason I have not tried any Prodigy plastic, hence the issue is essential to any Prodigy discussion. I currently have several new companies vying for my limited discretionary new disc budget. MVP, Lat 64, Westside and Discmania have all been successful. I might be alone, but I don't think I am. The marketing game is imperative to the ultimate success, almost regardless of quality.

Pardon me ru4por but you just proved my point with trying to compare Prodigy to your first sentence. Just making up crazy identifications to try to undercut a point holds no validity. Using a number system IMO is much more effective than using Biofuzion, Fuzion, Lucid-Escape, Renegade, Suspect. Now try to keep up with that between a multitude of different companies using the same outline but different naming conventions. 400G D3 seems pretty easy to me and I believe will be easier for new guys to understand as long as they know how many types of plastics and molds for D,M, and P's there are. And you have to do that research for any company. Now if other companies started using different number systems it might get a little more confusing but I don't see that happening from a legal standpoint. IE)D,M, and P are already taken along with numbers 1-4.

You're right, prodigy's marketing has been terrible. The quickest upstart in terms of sales/production in disc golf history.

But you're not alone and that's evident. All of you dummies that didn't understand basic mathematics can unite against prodigy.

The naming of their discs reminds me of how Americans and Europeans name their vehicles.

In America, we have Chevy and Ford naming their products (Impala, Mustang).

In Europe, they use an alphanumeric system (Audi A4, BMW 750i).

Please don't let this turn into a debate about cars.

Just pointing out that the labels are pointless.

DGCR LOGIC:

37242369.jpg

That's cute but the fact is that the names of their plastics are part of the package.

The names aren't superfluous, they are part of the product. They can be neato or bland, but they have to work. When you want to talk about Prodigy's plastics, and you hear something different from their team, their order sheet, and their website, then that becomes the topic of conversation.

This is the thing: maybe their products are great. But if they aren't marketed properly, if customers don't feel confident that they know what they're getting when they buy the product, they won't buy it. So the naming conventions are pretty intimately tied to the success of their products. And to say that people should just suck it up and deal with it is the kind of arrogance that will leave your company nothing more than an example of what not to do.

Again: the discs and plastics may be great. I hope they are. But I've noticed that the many of the people who really dig Prodigy and are vocal about it on these forums are people who met Greenwell or Arthur or one of the team members and were impressed by them. But the average consumer is not going to meet these guys and be charmed by them. That's where good names and naming conventions come in: they are what charms you in place of Prodigy's ambassadors. So far, they're not up to the task which is a serious problem, unless the team intends to tour the country doing nothing but handselling the lion's share of their discs.

I think prodigy can attribute fast sales to the popularity of disc golf being bigger than ever but I must say that aside from all the hate everyone wastes their time spewing they really did have a good initial launch. People talk about bland discs or confusing names, to simple of names, inconsistencies, over promising, under delivering, and the rest.

I see it as they brought 9 original molds to market in a plastic that feels amazing in less than 5 months! No other manufacturer has even come close to this. Everyone praises Discmania for the simple names? Nobody rips MVP's head off because the Shock mold was changed to be more stable? Nobody is screaming that Steve Rico needs to post his earnings publicly? People don't speak blasphemy against Innova because the Roc 3 stamps were missing chunks?

Like someone else posted, the only legitimate complaint in this topic is that proto D1's weren't OS enough which has been since fixed and some D4's don't have enough turn. I hope they iron out the consistency and adjust the molds to where they need to fit and get it finalized because if they do I really can't see how any player could hate them.

Ox,

The only problem is the US uses that same method for trucks.

F150 etc...

And Alcuin Prodigy has not had a problem marketing. I'm relaxed, it's just sad that this is a topic. It comes down to a case of dumb or liar (Carolla). If you don't understand the naming convention you either are dumb or just don't like how fast/the method that Prodigy made a name for itself. For everyone's case debating against this I hope it's the latter. My local retailer (very small) has never brought on a new line of product so fast. There is the problem that Prodigy will only allow a small number of discs to certain vendors and don't offer as good of wholesale prices. How can they afford to do that with such terrible marketing?

Latest posts