• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Prodigy] Prodigy Premium Plastic

The poor naming convention is the primary reason I have not tried any Prodigy plastic, hence the issue is essential to any Prodigy discussion. I currently have several new companies vying for my limited discretionary new disc budget. MVP, Lat 64, Westside and Discmania have all been successful. I might be alone, but I don't think I am. The marketing game is imperative to the ultimate success, almost regardless of quality.

Discmania? I hear a lot more people talking about PDs and P2s than Freaks and Psychos. Actually, I can't remember hearing/reading anyone mentioning Discmania discs by their "US names" with the exception of the Gremlin which was originally an Innova mold. How is their naming convention any better than Prodigy's?

There is the problem that Prodigy will only allow a small number of discs to certain vendors and don't offer as good of wholesale prices. How can they afford to do that with such terrible marketing?

The maximum has been changed for everything but putters.

Last edited:
It comes down to a case of dumb or liar (Carolla). If you don't understand the naming convention you either are dumb or just don't like how fast/the method that Prodigy made a name for itself.

I think most people understand what they were going for with the names. Just because people disagree with prodigy's disc names doesnt mean they hate the company/discs.

Ps: some names are lame...Pain?!?! I won't throw that disc because of its name alone. It's like the UFC has their own line of discs. It's bad enough being a Boss lover.

Yea, T-bird the Discmania buy definately ruins my point, you are right. But, my point is certainly not to trash Prodigy. I have no qualm with the company,sponsors or plastic. I am not drawn to buy their product because of poor marketing. I understand the ease the numbering system to designate flight characteristics, but my point was purely marketing. I believe they would sell more discs with a goofy clever name. Nuke is a good example.

Who needs marketing when this is what I see happening at my course and others I've traveled to...

"Hey, I see you have a Prodigy driver there... Can I try it?"

"Sure... rip it!"

"Is this the D1 or D4?"

"D4... rip it with just a bit of hyzer"

"Okay..." .... throws the D4 40 feet further than anything in the bag

"HOLY CRAP! I have have to have one of those"

Fact is this stuff is performing for me. I love the drivers and want to have babies with my M1.... why? Because they simply perform. I'm have a huge bag of Lattitude stuff that I started playing because it was "pretty" and kept playing it because they perform.

If it works the way I want to or I get major league extra distance, I don't care what it is called or what type of plastic it is... I'll buy it because my game is better. It's that simple to me.

As for the silly name arguments... Orc, Ape, Monarch, Stalker, Comet, etc... can you really tell me by the name only what these do? If you're a seasoned veteran you can, but a novice buyer cannot. The numbering scheme will be much easier for noobs to work with.

The whole debate is simply insane if you ask me. :doh:

tbird- Thanks for the update so that solves one of Prodigy's problems.

winnebao- I was referring to a couple pages back where people were accidentally ordering D1's instead of D4's. I understand if someone doesn't think their names are creative enough. I'd rather that time and focus be spent towards quality and standardization anyhow.

ru4por- Their sales offset your point that their marketing is not up to standard. And the fact that they took a different approach than any other company out there is marketing alone.

Thanks Scotty. Glad you said in one post what I've been trying to say in the last 15. And see, my dumb *** understands.

I buy discs because of the way they fly and ones that feel good in my hand.....not because they have catchy names.....

So has anyone else thrown this new plastic? Of 8 pages of replies I only remember seeing one that addresses the OP. :doh:

I give them +5 points for coming into the market

I deduct 1000 points for terrible disc/plastic blend names...

They are drowning at -995... :|

Love the names/plastic blend names. It is simple/clean and non gimmicky/cartoonish like all the stuff that is already out there. Hope they keep it up!

Anyone who is confused about their products is a moron, plain and simple. Even if it is members of their own team. A flight chart would be nice but the naming convention puts their disc types/stability into the simplest of formats. I would say it's more difficult to purchase a disc based off a name. IE) I love legacy but if you don't have a flight chart how do you depict the stability difference between the patriot and the rival. This company was just an example but you could say the same for any other. And don't give me the bs excuse for innova's flight rating chart (speed, glide, turn, fade). We all know how accurate that is from a consistency standpoint. At the end of the day it's not what people are used to so they get their panties up in a bunch. What everything boils down to is consistency in molds. The company that can mass produce the most consistent molds will eventually be the most successful for serious discers, no matter what the naming convention or of those molds might be.

Very well said. Lets see. M1=overstable mid, M2 = slightly overstable mid, M3 = straight mid and M4 = understable mid. FLight numbers are useless since everyone throws different from the next person.

Jerm showed up to club dubs at the Nest and informed me that Prodigy has Premium plastic.

The stuff that is out there now is called G-400, but there is a premium blend called G-700.

He had an M4 in this blend and it felt like Star/CE amazingness.

Has anyone else seen this plastic ?

No results when searched.

Jerm showed me this as well

Id agree with OX in that this plastice feels really good. much better than whats out there now

I have been told that so far the only disc run in 400-G that is available is the M4. But I don't think many retailers have it, or know they have it. Prodigy just told us that a difference even existed. All you can do is buy an M4 and look for the G spot on the rim

I have been told that so far the only disc run in 400-G that is available is the M4. But I don't think many retailers have it, or know they have it. Prodigy just told us that a difference even existed. All you can do is buy an M4 and look for the G spot on the rim

My Production D1 is 400S plastic. My M4's, D3's, M1's do not specify plastic, as they are proto's. (i think proto, maybe first run)

I checked the M4, and there are no markings on the bottom that state G or anything.

I thought that was just a myth...

:hfive:

Quote of the day right there.......I loled

Seriously though where is this G spot you speak of.....