• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Production inconsistency

How do you feel about mold inconsistency?

• Total voters

Dan Ensor

Sophomore
Is inconsistent running of discs a bad thing? I know it can be a headache if you really like a disc, but does the headache outweigh the possibility of having a mold cycled without ever having to beat one in?

Is inconsistent running of discs a bad thing? I know it can be a headache if you really like a disc, but does the headache outweigh the possibility of having a mold cycled without ever having to beat one in?
Beating discs in is unnecessary. I don't know where it comes from but it doesn't make any sense. If you need something flippy buy the right disc. If you need to beat it in you bought the wrong disc.

Even if you think beating in the disc is the correct and better way, the production should be consistent. If you buy a stable disc you want to beat in that is overstable because of production you might never get to the point of "beat in" you want to reach.

Beating discs in is unnecessary. I don't know where it comes from but it doesn't make any sense. If you need something flippy buy the right disc. If you need to beat it in you bought the wrong disc.

Discs all reach a sweet spot where they stay for the large majority of their life, and it takes some time/use to reach that spot. If you buy discs for how they fly when new, you're not only going to spend a ton of money, but you're also going to miss the best/fattest part of a disc's lifespan.

I have this one red Z Nuke that I really like a lot, it's the perfect max distance disc for me. I have 7 other Z Nukes that I have bought trying to find one that would fly the same, but none of them are even close. I even thought that as the new Z Nukes tend to be too stable, that I'd try an X Nuke. I felt one at the store and thought the X plastic felt really grippy and good, but then I felt the others and many of the others were much slicker and harder X. I didn't even dare to buy it, since if it's really good and I like it, what if there won't be any more made in the good plastic that I like. It's going to wear in or get lost and I'm going to need a replacement at some point.

And a few years back when I started, I fell in love with the basic DX Roc. They were pretty hard dx plastic and almost flat, and I really learned to depend on them. Can I find more of them from the store? Nope, all the new ones are soft and domey.

For a long time I put off even trying Roc3s, as people seemed to like the flat ones best, and only some of the McBeth Roc3s seemed to be flat. And I heard a rumor that the flat ones are actually just extras from the first run that were then stamped with the production stamp, and all the ones made after that had a dome. What if I really liked the flat ones too? They're moderately easy to find now, but what about in 2-3 years, would I have to pay 50e each to get more? (Not that I would ever pay that much for a disc anyway.)

My main drivers are 1.2 Sirius Orion LFs. I really like how they start and how they wear in. But now the new 1.3s are made with the dreaded plus-mold, with gigantic domes, slanted inner rims, and even the new Sirius plastic is so slick I really can't throw them properly.

Etc.

I know some people really like that they can have their overstable Destroyers and flippy Destroyers, and the like, but I find it too hard to find replacements for the discs I like. And what I've seen and read, no manufacturer makes a consistent product, so I guess people like me are just SOL.

Even when I find my pearly slightly domed 1.2 Q-OLFs or flat firm Ontario yellow DX Cobras, or any other mold I like specifically, they still aren't all the same. Hell, even if they're all the same weights - still not the EXACT same flight. (holy grammar:))

You guys do know that right?

The white 08' Worlds FLX Drones that I have a few of...they were all part of one single run for an event and even those aren't all clones of each other - just very very similiar.

I think it's just part of the game and fun in my opinion. I don't particularly mind looking through stacks of plastic to find a Teebird/Firebird/River etc that I like. Who doesn't like rummaging through discs? Any top pro does the same thing at the factory of their disc sponsor.

It can be very frustrating, but then so is finding the perfect release to throw an understable disc dead straight. It's also one of the reasons why I'm glad the MP forum is around: if a disc doesn't meet your expectations/desires, then sell it and try again.

Even if you think beating in the disc is the correct and better way, the production should be consistent. If you buy a stable disc you want to beat in that is overstable because of production you might never get to the point of "beat in" you want to reach.

This is not true at all seasoned stable discs will fly different than out of the box under stable discs, they can also handle wind better. And no matter what plastic that new disc will eventually start changing its flight path, you going to go buy a new one? And new discs don't hold their flight characteristics as long as a seasoned one in its sweet spot. Also there's the point of cycling are you going to throw a ton of different molds for different flight paths and risk inconsistent feel why when you can throw a few molds that cover a lot of shots that feel the same in your hand every time. There's a reason you see a lot of the top pros cycling, and that's because IT WORKS.

in a perfect world, every disc from every manufacturer would be super consistent. But has been mentioned many times before on these forums by people who know what they are talking about, it would force costs to rise exponentially. I like the current price range of discs, and really couldn't afford them to be any higher (and some discs already cost a pretty penny)

I'm also not a high-enough level player for it to really matter at this point. I throw what I like, and I have very little, if any, problems with them. So I voted "I don't care"

i enjoy the chase. once i get a specific disc, it's a feeling of triumph, like when i found first run SOLF's and S-PD's.

i like comparing PLH and dome because i'm a bit of a nerd and i feel like i can identify what i want in a batch of discs. so a little column a, a little column b. sometimes it screws you over, though.

i know i'll have to find something else eventually, but i don't care. it's fun knowing i found them. i'll use them, love them, and retire them eventually just like every other disc. and i know there will be a replacement somewhere. i'll just have to experiment to find it. :) that's all part of the fun.

once i start throwing in tournaments i'm sure i'll feel differently.

Meh, I don't care. All discs are different anyways and it's my job, not the disc's, to make each one do what I want. My game is lot more inconsistent than any mold. I think most people on these forums are way too much of prima donnas about disc consistency. A poor carpenter blames his tools.

an old grandmaster told me many years ago that if you want a consistent replacement for a disc you think you will throw a lot then you must buy at least 2 at a time. im lucky enough to have an excellent pro shop near me so i always get 2 of the same color/run/dome/plh whenever they announce the deliveries of desired molds.

Last edited:
Meh, I don't care. All discs are different anyways and it's my job, not the disc's, to make each one do what I want. My game is lot more inconsistent than any mold. I think most people on these forums are way too much of prima donnas about disc consistency. A poor carpenter blames his tools.

Excellent points one and all, but having said that, I still favor consistency over lack thereof.

:doh:
:|

Ken Climo would argue otherwise. And Ken Climo is never. Wrong. Ever.

I dont really like how inconsistant discs are. Even with that said i carry multiples of discs from different stages of wear because of the feel of the disc itself. I carry 2 D1's because one is overstable and one i have gotten the point of being straight. I like this option in my bag because i like the way the mold is in my hand instead of maybe getting a D2

Right now, I really wish Nukes were less consistent. I want a super stable one, but they all stay mostly in the stable part of the spectrum. I also want a super stable Wizard; which I know are out there, I just have to find one. Gives me a reason to feel up every Wizard I ever see.

I like the inconsistency. I can have all my stability slots covered with 1 disc; often all of them out of the box. They still have different flights than discs that are "designed" to fill that particular slot out of the box. My most stable Avenger SS still has a more penetrating forward fade than my Nukes that follow generally the same path. My flick that's been super beat has a dump fade at the end, but flies more like my flippy avenger SSs in high speed flight.

I think it's awesome. I've always wondered what someone like Feldberg would have to say about it. More so when he was with Innova and had 20 destroyers in the bag ...

Latest posts