• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Progress on course in Prescott,AZ?

After playing a round at Watson we got talking about the courses surrounding Prescott. Whereas nobody included Watson as their top local course(or top three overall even) we are all extremely grateful that Rob went through it. Prescott is, shall we say, conservative in their views and it was no easy battle just to get the city council to recognize(much less show respect for) the demand. It has taken years. I like to think of this course as the "foot in the door". Watson also made us appreciate how great Groom and Thumb Butte are, and would be even greater had they baskets and tee-pads. So, no, I don't think you're a jerk, but I do think Watson is worth playing when in town, just maybe not worth coming to town for.

Is someone going to add the course here? I would love to read about it and hopefully see some reviews. And what about these other courses people keep talking about in PRescott? Are they available to the public. If there are 3-4 courses in Prescott I would certaily be willing to drive up from Phoenix for the day and play as many as I could. That would be kick ass!!

Prescott is, shall we say, conservative in their views and it was no easy battle just to get the city council to recognize(much less show respect for) the demand. It has taken years. I like to think of this course as the "foot in the door"

I do realize this is a major win. I can't imagine what it takes in order for the city to recognize the sport and decide it's "worth it" to install some equipment. I've been (slowly) creating a proposal to present to the City of Phoenix on installing a championship calibre course on the city's north side near a soccer field complex. So, I'll have to learn to play the game with patience if I ever want that to become a possibility.

Sunday Mike - Watson Lake is already listed on DGCR! The other courses in Prescott (Groom aka School House Gulch, Skyline, Thumb Butte) are all public. I wrote short reviews on them - Page 2 of this thread. There are a few courses located on private camps, as well, but I don't have much info on those. I frequently will make an early trek up there and play a handful of rounds before the sun goes down. That's if I can pry myself away from Groom - I freakin' love that course!!

Chillis- Are you talking about the Reach 11 complex? That would be epic. Another great spot is Cave Buttes Recreation Area at Cave Creek and Jomax. A ton of land and elevation along with some trees.

Can anyone play all day this upcoming Friday. I would love to play all the courses possible in prescott. Please let me know, I'm thinking of bringing dgcr's cordovafirebird and myself. Please message me and let me know.

Chillis- Are you talking about the Reach 11 complex? That would be epic. Another great spot is Cave Buttes Recreation Area at Cave Creek and Jomax. A ton of land and elevation along with some trees.

That's the spot! I've walked it a few times now, and have created a couple different layouts. Now, I'm reading up on all things design-related to make sure I've got all my bases covered. I'm also pulling data from courses (local and national) to find out the expected revenue it could generate. When the plan is closer to completion, I'll unveil it to various outlets to gain support for the idea. Bottom line is I want to be able to make the city a bit of money with the course (pay-to-play, and for tourneys) so they'll be more inclined to agree.

Lion - I'd like to meet up and chuck some plastic, however I'm working Friday and participating in the Phx ColorRun 5k on Saturday. Sunday is the only day I'd be able to make it to Prescott. If you're planning on Friday, I doubt you'll be around by Sunday, but if you are, I'll be up there so long as the weather agrees =)

Last edited:
So I made some calls and got permission to play these below on Friday:

Emmanuel Pines Camp 18 holes
Prescott Pines camp 9 holes
Stein Camp 9 holes
Plus will play
School of Gulch 18 holes
WATSON LAKE 9 holes

I would like to play Yavapines camp but have yet to get in touch with them. Does anyone know the in's and outs of that course. Any help would be grand. So 5-6 courses in Prescott Friday will be killer before the bad weather rolls in.

Anyone else up for it ?

Dang, I wish I could, but I have school. Have fun. After you play could you give us some descriptions of the courses? Thanks. I haven't played any of them.

I'm down Lion just for the chance to play Emmanuel and Prescott Pines. I'd re-consider Pearlstein due to conditions. I PM'd ye.

I'd be interested in hearing descriptions of the private camp courses, as well. It's to my understanding that they're geared for beginners/families. I can definitely understand the desire to play them if you're traveling with family/kids, otherwise it seems like they'd be a waste of time unless you're trying to add them to the tally of overall courses played =)

Lion - Don't forget to play School House Gulch from the long tees!

There is some truth to what Chillis speaks. Camp Pearstein being a prime example of a family/kid oriented course, and while-Yes Camp Yavapines is only 9 holes and plays on the short side(nothing over 300') I always have fun navigating the courses obstacles(or Hole #1's lack thereof). What's more I'd be willing to bet you would as well. My top five Prescott courses in order of preference: #1. Groom. #2 Thumb Butte. #3. Camp Yavapines. #4. Watson Lake. #5. Skyline. and #6 by default... Pearlstein. Emmanuel? Prescott Pines? I've yet to find out.

Latest posts