• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Prometheus

No offense to Mike C, but...

NOT EVERYONE IS MIKE C!

We all can't throw 500 feet and make discs bend to our will. Don't judge a disc solely by how one person throws it, whether that person be a pro or am. Take all the info and make an informed judgment.

Sorry, I just get frustrated sometimes. I think Mike C represents the .01 percentile of power and form, so of course anything he throws will look amazing. For the rest of us, it is good to have varying types of throwers out there, too.

I think what people, myself included want to see, is the full potential flight of a disc. I am with you one mile and this was the point I was trying to make earlier but went about it the wrong way. I love seeing discs fly they were intended to fly but some discs i can't do that. I guess the only way some people would be convinced of a disc is if they see it first hand what it can do. If that first look is something like what tsunami DG did, then it could immediately turn them off to the product...especially the description given at the end of the video. oh well it is what it is and that is just the way things go

I think what people, myself included want to see, is the full potential flight of a disc. I am with you one mile and this was the point I was trying to make earlier but went about it the wrong way. I love seeing discs fly they were intended to fly but some discs i can't do that. I guess the only way some people would be convinced of a disc is if they see it first hand what it can do. If that first look is something like what tsunami DG did, then it could immediately turn them off to the product...especially the description given at the end of the video. oh well it is what it is and that is just the way things go

I understand that 100%, I just think people need to be more open minded to seeing how it might perform at the other end of the spectrum. Especially because for every Mike C here, there are probably 10 tsunami DGs who would like to know how a disc handles at less than Herculean strength.

Again, this isn't a knock on Mike - his videos are fantastic and I like seeing how good he is - but more an attempt to not get people to be so judgmental of people with less than stellar performance.

Well I didn't read or watch anything about the flight, I wanted to throw it with no expectations and see how it behaves. So I haven't seen this other video etc. yet.

It's pretty beefy. I have to throw it hard and oaty to see turn, otherwise it just glides for a while with the angle of release, then has a pretty hard fade. I threw it side to side with a Prodigy D1 and it was fading out earlier and harder, ending up about 10' shorter.

Pretty unique feeling shape / size / weight combination, and the plastic is really nice too.

I've broken 400' bh and 350' fh so distance isn't a huge issue so far. My only problem is I'm still getting used to the feel, and sometimes it wants to slip out a bit early when tossing backhands. FH its been flying very nice and I haven't had any grip issues like BH.

Gonna keep messing around with it. Went out to my home course with my camera, the driver and a putter.

Last edited:
Well I didn't read or watch anything about the flight, I wanted to throw it with no expectations and see how it behaves.

It's pretty beefy. I have to throw it hard and oaty to see turn, otherwise it just glides for a while with the angle of release, then has a pretty hard fade.

Pretty unique feeling shape / size / weight combination, and the plastic is really nice too.

I've broken 400' bh and 350' fh so distance isn't a huge issue so far. My only problem is I'm still getting used to the feel, and sometimes it wants to slip out a bit early when tossing backhands. FH its been flying very nice and I haven't had any grip issues like BH.

Gonna keep messing around with it. Went out to my home course with my camera, the driver and a putter.

Mike did you get a tester? if so get a true first run and do a comparison if you can.

I understand that 100%, I just think people need to be more open minded to seeing how it might perform at the other end of the spectrum. Especially because for every Mike C here, there are probably 10 tsunami DGs who would like to know how a disc handles at less than Herculean strength.

Again, this isn't a knock on Mike - his videos are fantastic and I like seeing how good he is - but more an attempt to not get people to be so judgmental of people with less than stellar performance.

It was nothing against the guy it was the flight of the disc. When it dumped it dumped really hard. The flight was not as stated it would be. If I remember the quote, "fade of a midrange". This was not it and not even close. It is what it is. I wish them luck on future discs and will look forward to them.

Well I didn't read or watch anything about the flight, I wanted to throw it with no expectations and see how it behaves. So I haven't seen this other video etc. yet.

It's pretty beefy. I have to throw it hard and oaty to see turn, otherwise it just glides for a while with the angle of release, then has a pretty hard fade. I threw it side to side with a Prodigy D1 and it was fading out earlier and harder, ending up about 10' shorter.

So basically I should just stick to my Destroyers and Terns?

Thanks for the Input Mike C. :thmbup:

I have been following this disc for awhile and i guess the part that bothers me is a point that onemilemore touched on posting on the other salient thread. He gave a description of the Prometheus on the Salient website that states "Prometheus allows players whom have had difficulty throwing fast-wide rim discs the ability to throw a distance driver more easily than ever before." http://salient-discs.com/discs/
This apparently is not the case..

I have been following this disc for awhile and i guess the part that bothers me is a point that onemilemore touched on posting on the other salient thread. He gave a description of the Prometheus on the Salient website that states "Prometheus allows players whom have had difficulty throwing fast-wide rim discs the ability to throw a distance driver more easily than ever before." http://salient-discs.com/discs/
This apparently is not the case..

I've been following it too and I remember that saying. So far It just doesn't sound good to me.

Had a chance to throw my first run, 189 g Prometheus. It has a high plate height with decent dome, very large rim, and flexible plastic. This disc is fast and VERY overstable! I can get a cleaner throw and less fade with my Prodigy D1. Very disappointing so far. All the hype suggested the design would make it easier to throw a larger rim, not even close. I will field test some more and try to get some more snap like others have suggested. Plastic feels nice but is a little too flexible for my taste.

i say we hold judgment until we can get hands on the lighter ones. i feel that salient perhaps anticipated this, hence the delay and effort to try and get them down in weight.

let's just exercise a little discretion. **shrug** right now mine is useless to me, but it'll be interesting to see what 10 grams' worth of difference or more does to the flight.

Had a chance to throw my first run, 189 g Prometheus. It has a high plate height with decent dome, very large rim, and flexible plastic. This disc is fast and VERY overstable! I can get a cleaner throw and less fade with my Prodigy D1. Very disappointing so far. All the hype suggested the design would make it easier to throw a larger rim, not even close. I will field test some more and try to get some more snap like others have suggested. Plastic feels nice but is a little too flexible for my taste.

Lighter weights will make a world of difference hence the initial delay.

Throwing a 189g disc is not the same as throwing a 170g destroyer point blank. It wasn't made as a pure distance driver. Thrown with some snap and it reacts as described on the website. Feel free to disagree but our throwing arm and testimonials by multiple players suggest this to be true.

Find me a disc that everyone throws exactly the same for everyone......it doesn't exist.

We are excited about the 170g versions and our next mold releases. Btw the plastic is flexy because of the diameter of the flight plate.

Last edited:
I got some throws in with my 185g "X Test" First Run Prometheus today. It was not nearly as overstable as some have said, but I did do some de-flashing because there was quite a bit of flash around the outside parting line. If I were to give it Innova flight numbers I would say 14, 5, -1.5, 2. The control is there, but I felt like I wasn't really giving it all the snap I could, kinda like it was slipping from my grip a little early because of the weight.

This video could be a lot better, but it's all I have for now. :eek:

Still haven't received my 3! I kinda hope Chris is waiting to send me a light weight one too... :p I am still super excited to test them out. I have pretty small hands and don't throw anything over 9 speed except for a heavy Opto Trespass for stout headwinds(when I can keep one in the bag) and a D4 for less stout headwinds that will still flip my Escapes. Really interested how I will be able to throw it!

Still haven't received my 3! I kinda hope Chris is waiting to send me a light weight one too... :p I am still super excited to test them out. I have pretty small hands and don't throw anything over 9 speed except for a heavy Opto Trespass for stout headwinds(when I can keep one in the bag) and a D4 for less stout headwinds that will still flip my Escapes. Really interested how I will be able to throw it!

Haven't forgotten about you. Getting an array of weights for testers to try.

I'm really sorry if this has been asked a lot (I didn't do a lot of digging), but is there any way we can order any of these yet or is everyone that's getting one a tester?

I'm really sorry if this has been asked a lot (I didn't do a lot of digging), but is there any way we can order any of these yet or is everyone that's getting one a tester?

Disc Nation had a bunch for pre-order with Zam's sick stamp. You may want to check them out.

Disc Nation had a bunch for pre-order with Zam's sick stamp. You may want to check them out.

They will be receiving about 250 more this week as well as Sun king, D-town disc golf, everyday disc golf, and a bunch of others have or will have them. Btw 188g Prometheus was thrown over 700ft at an A tier this weekend, wait until they get in the 170s....

Latest posts