• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Proper etiquette when finding discs?

Just curious what the etiquette is when finding lost discs? I know if it has a name or number on it I would certainly call up the individual, but what is the policy with unmarked discs? I found 3 this weekend and turned them into the clubhouse. They threw them in a bin where people can look for lost discs. Is it unethical to just keep them if they're unmarked?? Just curious. I could've had a TI Buzzz (I hate the buzzz anyway though), a TeeBird, and a Vibram Lace. Figured turning them in was the right thing. What's your opinion?

We have a Facebook group in our twin cities community that people post on when they lose a disc and where it was lost at. Outside of that I often trade in the dx ones at pias for store credit and sell the rest in lots on dollar disc golf auctions. Then after a while save the money and buy a top notch first run buzzz essentially for free

I'm sorry, but I literally just laughed out loud. These threads are SO common, my friend.

If I find a disc that is unmarked, I leave it alone. The owner may come back looking for it, and I have no idea who it belongs to anyway.

Where I live, the local disc golf community has a Facebook page and they get posted there. I found three this summer and didn't know what to do with them, since they were unmarked. Then I discovered that people post lost discs to the Facebook group, and so I would imagine that most communities also do this - it just makes sense.

I love finding lost discs. It gives me an opportunity to try throwing a disc that I know nothing about, and possibly get it back to its rightful owner.

If NO NAME Throw them as soon as you find it into the nearest lake or pond. :| If no lake or pond throw into oncoming traffic. If it HAS a name, call the person from a payphone and threaten them as much as possible...throw into a lake regardless. :|:|

I don't ink my discs, because;

1. I watch we're my discs go, walk to it, mark my lie, and throw again
2. It's ugly, and lowers resale value
3. I have many more discs and can buy more

So, with that said if I don't mark my disc with name and number, i don't intend to get it back and I don't feel bad at all if I lose one or two out there and never see it again... I'm not gonna lose sleep and I hope whoever finds them gets use out of them and is stoked on finding a good un inked disc in the woods! It's kinda like an unintentional Pay it Forward type deal.

I say it's yours! (UNLESS someone comes up to you and asks did you find a disc on the course and they say the exact kind and color, then hand it over of course)

I don't ink my discs, because;

1. I watch we're my discs go, walk to it, mark my lie, and throw again
2. It's ugly, and lowers resale value
3. I have many more discs and can buy more

So, with that said if I don't mark my disc with name and number, i don't intend to get it back and I don't feel bad at all if I lose one or two out there and never see it again... I'm not gonna lose sleep and I hope whoever finds them gets use out of them and is stoked on finding a good un inked disc in the woods! It's kinda like an unintentional Pay it Forward type deal.

I say it's yours! (UNLESS someone comes up to you and asks did you find a disc on the course and they say the exact kind and color, then hand it over of course)

agreed

you and I are a rare breed of Discer.

Not a disc of mine has ink. I hate it. Plus I always say "If I cannot find it somebody DESERVES it" because I will hunt for a LONG time for my disc...my....presssccciouss. and if i cant find it....its a gift to the world.

Just curious what the etiquette is when finding lost discs? I know if it has a name or number on it I would certainly call up the individual, but what is the policy with unmarked discs? I found 3 this weekend and turned them into the clubhouse. They threw them in a bin where people can look for lost discs. Is it unethical to just keep them if they're unmarked?? Just curious. I could've had a TI Buzzz (I hate the buzzz anyway though), a TeeBird, and a Vibram Lace. Figured turning them in was the right thing. What's your opinion?

There's a line of thought that says, if it doesn't have a name or number in it, the owner wasn't much concerned about getting it back.

Then again, if you've got a clubhouse with a lost-and-found bin, put it in. You're no worse off that you were before. Few places around here have such a resource.

Big Sky's right, at least in regard to where and how you found it. For all you know the owner is elsewhere on the course, and will come looking for it as soon as he realizes he left it behind. If you find it under 6 months of leaves, probably not.

My personally feeling.....If there's a number call them, if there isn't then you have a new disc. Or you can always just leave it where you found it too.

Good on you for turning them in. I feel you would also call numbers and make reasonable attempts to return discs. This is a better found disc tread than usual.

Personally I don't feel right keeping a found disc. That's just me though. And the local PIAS will let you drop off found discs if a meeting is too inconvenient.

Remember that not returning a lost disc is just like someone stealing your wallet or beating a baby seal. :\

Heck, I used to write out elaborate rationales for these threads, but in just two years of seeing dozens and dozens of these, my advice has simplified: do whatever helps you sleep at night with a clear conscience and don't give a rip about what others think on the matter. For me, that's calling if inked, or turning it in to a lost and found if not.

Keep with no ink. Pro Shop will just take it and sell it so you might as well benefit since you were the one who found it. Can always give it to a friend too.