• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Proposed changes for 2011 to the PDGA Rules of Disc Golf

mark12b said:
mobster said:
Here's something: if they're not going to allow wedges, hangers, and discs that entered through the side of the basket, why not make a basket with solid walls?

actually someone has -- these are pdga approved (though not for sale afaik):

http://www.google.com/images?q=hornings+hideout+baskets

Not to derail, but I love those baskets.

When ideas that I deem are harmful are considered there is a danger that they will be approved. So I voice my concern. I didn't read through thoroughly -just woke up and I'm going out soon. I have no problem disallowing throws that are stuck in the tray going in from outside being considered in. As long as discs that fly above the tray and stuck to the inside of the tray whether it is straight flight or bounced off the chains or the pole. The trouble is how do you protect a legitimate stuck the inside legal throw being in by rules from being contested in all honesty or not by competitors?

The best part in my game is long jump putts as approach throws. I've worked on them somewhat but they come naturally for me. It's equal to me to disallowing backhand throwing, FH, tommies, rollers whatever to not allow jump putts. It would really hurt my game. And I never make 60'+ jump putts but OTOH I don't even need to jump putt if the traction is good up to that distance. But man it would hurt me at beyond 60' where I get no advantage from _skill_ making those putts. I consider them approach throws and that they are because I have never made it in ever from 60'+. Don't tie my arms behind my back please. What's the point in removing skills from play? That's gotta irk a lot of people off big time. It would frankly piss me off to no end. I wouldn't want to run for PDGA offices to prevent jump putts from being removed from the game or any other type of throw. Really I would not want to -I've got better things to do for myself and DG community in other ways.

Poor event organizers having to measure 100'.

warobert said:
Thanks Chuck, just wanted to throw my view on it out there because the impression I got from reading their musings was that they believe jump putting is BAD and should be run out of the game.

I am by no means a rules expert, but i heared Dave Feldberg say in that putting clinic video that jump putting is not bad, but not allowed by the rules as they are right now. :?

No one is fundamentally against putt jumping - if it can be done legally. However, video proof continues to indicate no one analyzed can seem to do it legally all of the time including Dr. Rick on the Rules Committee. He was embarrased when video evidence indicated he was off the ground before releasing about a 1/3 of the time in a high speed frame by frame analysis.

A big deal, a very big deal, frank. What would disc golf do if it is was on espn 3 and their camera crew discovered the lie? What would you do then frank? Run and tell that, homeboy.

I know you are joking but seriously how much of a competitive advantage are you getting on a jump putt if someone can't tell you foot faulted except under high speed camera review. How much distance does someone gain by leaving the ground a half second too early?

My guess is that this is not about advantage but about principle and making the sport look more professional.

Lots of sports have things revealed under high speed camera, lets just take the baseball/soccer route and call it "the human factor".

How about removing an unenforceable rule and allowing jump putts? No dirty secrets to be revealed by high speed cameras then and no rules controversy.

Disc golf is in a different position than other established sports. The "disc golf is gonna blow up soon and we're gonna be rich" crowd have a very protective attitude towards disc golf and treat it the same way an out-of-control stage mom treats their kid. If you can just get this one thing right, the game will look so much better that people will have to accept it as legitimate. A perfect example of this is the Dave Feldberg video with him complaining about the baskets and how missed putts don't count and how that will/does confuse non-players.

jsun3thousand said:
Disc golf is in a different position than other established sports. The "disc golf is gonna blow up soon and we're gonna be rich" crowd have a very protective attitude towards disc golf and treat it the same way an out-of-control stage mom treats their kid. If you can just get this one thing right, the game will look so much better that people will have to accept it as legitimate. A perfect example of this is the Dave Feldberg video with him complaining about the baskets and how missed putts don't count and how that will/does confuse non-players.

Is that video on youtube? If so can I get a link?

Also I was re-reading the minutes of that proposed rule and this might be going a little far in thinking this through

- A jumping or walking putt in tall grass is almost certainly illegal, since the player will contact part of the playing surface ahead of the lie before release.

While technically true it doesn't really seem to follow the spirit of the rule.

I personally like jump putting. Nothing like seeing someone nail a long distance low percentage jump put. Countering Feldberg's whining; in golf putts are rejected from the cup on a regular basis, even after entering the cup, because of a combination of luck and the golfer taking too aggressive a line. Every chain out I have witnessed could easily be attributed to either hitting the chains in a low percentage location or an over powered shot.

JR said:
How about removing an unenforceable rule and allowing jump putts? No dirty secrets to be revealed by high speed cameras then and no rules controversy.

Or how about forbidding jump puts ?

Just allowing them creates all kind of problems. How can you explain that you are allowed to leave the ground before releasing your disc on some shots and not on others ?

To be honest, i dont like this "demonstrating balance" rule anyway. IMO all shots that go in should count as long as you are behind the marker with all parts of your body till you released the disc.

There is atm a difference between the rules on paper and how we play the game, which is in no way acceptable. We have to think about what our sport should look like, and then rework the rules. Or maybe we like the rules as they are and have to change our technique.

Frank Delicious said:
- A jumping or walking putt in tall grass is almost certainly illegal, since the player will contact part of the playing surface ahead of the lie before release.

While technically true it doesn't really seem to follow the spirit of the rule.

I agree with you on this one. Since when is the 'playing surface' an area that can't support the weight of the player? (ie tall grass, not like you're going to be standing on top of it, you're going to be supported by the ground underneath it)

For me any type of shot should be allowed. We can even kick in the disc with current rules. I know a guy that has most of his hard drives released with both legs up in the air! It's their loss. If you want to stand on your head and throw, please do.

Long putts or long approaches that get close to the basket or go in are great for the onlookers. Which is tremendously helpful because many people have complained about the rate of progression in game being too slow to be interesting. At times the best players put on a show that even non players realize is awe inspiring. Between those rare moments DG is hard to make interesting if shown in real time. So why not give a kangaroo an advantage because they can jump. Since I'm by definition a white nigger because I'm not an American thus less worthy than an African American I better jump like no white man and better than African Americans :-D Judging by the old survival mechanism of being entertaining, good laborer or dead.

From respectability point of view allowing all kinds of entertaining throws while staying within rules that are enforced it is easier to allow falling putts at any distance so that no referees are needed. Allowing freedom to throw any way you like behind the mini instead of ruling out anything is easy to keep cheap to enforce unlike prohibitions. I intentionally wrote behind the mini meaning allowing stepping on to the mini not passing the front would make it enforceable by peers without referees and high speed cameras. Problem solved.

What is the point of taking away fun factor from players and spectators alike by forcing people to drive with the hand brake on? We might as well force people to use just one throw. See how popular that would be. Chicken wing disc golf? Head butt putting :)

Smigles said:
JR said:

Or how about forbidding jump puts ?

Just allowing them creates all kind of problems. How can you explain that you are allowed to leave the ground before releasing your disc on some shots and not on others ?

To be honest, i dont like this "demonstrating balance" rule anyway. IMO all shots that go in should count as long as you are behind the marker with all parts of your body till you released the disc.

There is atm a difference between the rules on paper and how we play the game, which is in no way acceptable. We have to think about what our sport should look like, and then rework the rules. Or maybe we like the rules as they are and have to change our technique.

JR said:
Since I'm by definition a white nigger because I'm not an American thus less worthy than an African American I better jump like no white man and better than African Americans :-D Judging by the old survival mechanism of being entertaining, good laborer or dead.
wtfamireading.jpg

Latest posts