• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Proposed changes for 2011 to the PDGA Rules of Disc Golf

I find myself disagreeing with the wedgie rule proposal. I feel like they are trying to fix the effect, rather than the cause. The better solution I would say is to just allow DROTs and wedgies and to design baskets with a few more support points, so as to make these things more difficult. It would not take a completely solid tray to make a wedgie highly unlikely. Instead of | | | | , you would have | | | |

The popular reply to that is that if we change the basket specs, a lot of courses will have to change baskets. To that, I would say just leave the rule as it is (except allow DROTs, as they happen so rarely anyway), and start building only baskets with the improved specs. All new courses and any course getting new baskets would then fit the new specs. As time and the sport progresses and baskets are replaced, we would be left with the new standard of baskets that catches only good putts. Effectively, anyway the basket can catch a disc will be allowed, just making it more difficult (nearly impossible) for the basket to catch a disc a way that is not intended.

The way the proposal is written, you would need a spotter on every hole to know for sure a disc went in the basket correctly, especially on a blind shot or when the group is more than 100' away. This become unreasonable to expect at most tournaments and brings in just as many problems as the current wedgie rule.

No spotters required. Benefit of the doubt to the player if two people did not see how it wedged. I doubt DROTs will ever be allowed. The new specs for basket wire spacing do significantly reduce wedgies but existing basket models were grandfathered.

So an ace pool can be won on benefit of the doubt? I want my dollar back. Dumb.

No different than the way it is now except you sometimes may not lose on a wedgie in 2011.

How is there any 'benefit of the doubt' on an ace in the current rules? Doesn't matter which side a wedgie came in from because they both count.

And if the disc gets in clear through the cage, that should count. In the tray is in regardless of how it got there.

Barring some kind of broken basket, discs won't be coming in through the top so I can see DROT remaining illegal.

The wedgie and hanger changes, I can deal with. It will be an even bigger pain in the ass trying to explain to noobs what constitutes as holing out, which I'm sure is great for the sport. :roll:

But the 30 meter circle rule? That's regoddamndiculous. I'd much rather them ban jump putting than implement this atrocity.

How is there any 'benefit of the doubt' on an ace in the current rules? Doesn't matter which side a wedgie came in from because they both count.
The benefit of the doubt is built into the current rule by allowing wedgies to always be called good, including aces, that didn't enter the basket first, even if you saw them wedge from the outside. In 2011, outside entries don't count if seen. That means fewer shady wedgie aces, not that there are that many anyways.

bazkitcase5 said:
(except allow DROTs, as they happen so rarely anyway)
Don't know about that, I saw 4 today and two the last time I was out. Baskets with signs on the top do this pretty easily.

Chuck Kennedy said:
The benefit of the doubt is built into the current rule by allowing wedgies to always be called good, including aces, that didn't enter the basket first, even if you saw them wedge from the outside.

I don't understand how "benefit of the doubt" plays into the current ruling. There is no "doubt" as to whether or not its in.

The current wedgie rule was written to presume the player wedged after entering the basket properly even if it's obvious they didn't. It was written that way because sometimes the shots are blind. So the rules makers decided to give players the benefit of the doubt and make all wedgies good even if you see they were not legit. In 2011, at least the wedgies observed coming from outside the basket will not count. That means fewer shady aces will count IF two people see that the wedgie stuck from outside. That's better odds you won't lose an ace pool due to a shady ace, unless of course, it's yours...

Chuck Kennedy said:
That means fewer shady wedgie aces, not that there are that many anyways.

I have one of those. If I ever hit another one, I'll be able to say I have one that actually counted :D.

Latest posts