• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Proposed Course in South Jersey Facing Opposition - Help Needed DGCR

73905_414456245275586_1223741253_n.jpg

haha, gee, I wonder what is on the other end of that 'leash' she is holding there..

Husband

I think it's funny how they said they opposed the dog park but look who seems to be using it? Who's to say that they won't oppose the course but find themselves playing it

I want to clear up a few misconceptions about whats been going on at Timber Creek.

We are not at odds with the dog park or the dog walkers who use the trails outside the dog park. Just one couple who walk their dog(off the leash) and think they own the park. Chris thinks he is the foremost enviromental expert in the entire world and everyone else is stupid. Chirs was against the dog park when it was proposed and lost that battle. He refers to them as the "dog park people" and says he's ok with them now.

The Freeholders are the ones who approved the park and spent the money to have the course installed. They're the ones who run the county here in New Jersey. The Freeholders hired Duesler to design the course and provided some county workers to help put in the anchors. All the clearing of the fairways was done by volunteers. They have continued to support the course even through this controversy. When Chris started to make trouble the course was about 60% finished. This is what cought me off guard I thought I was being a good samaritan and doing something good for the community. Than this knucklehead comes along and starts yelling at us for destroying his park.

This may have been said already but no chainsaws or other gas powered equipment were used during the installation of the course. Just small hand saws and tree lopers. We would have been done if we could have used a chainsaw and avoided all this crap with Chris. The only other thing that was used was grunt labor to drag stuff out of the way. Nothing larger than 4" was cut down. I would conservatively say that 30% of the stuff that was cut down was already dead. Unfortunately no records were taken of trees cut because we were under the impression that everything was approved and was supposed to be removed.

Thanks again for showing interest and supporting the course. If you have the time leave a message on the Timber Creek Disc Golf Course FB page saying you can't wait to travel to NJ to play the course that would be more helpful rather than bashing the opposition.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/TimberCreekDiscGolf?fref=ts

Thanks again for showing interest and supporting the course. If you have the time leave a message on the Timber Creek Disc Golf Course FB page saying you can't wait to travel to NJ to play the course that would be more helpful rather than bashing the opposition.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/TimberCreekDiscGolf?fref=ts

Woot! Done! :hfive:

I feel for you. My job is in road construction and we run across nutjobs like this once in a while. Imagine trying to design and/or build a roadway with people like that around. One resident I talked to said she talks to the trees next to the roadway. She was not kidding.

As a Naturalist/Environmental Educator for the past 13 years, and a disc golfer for over 20, this issue hits close to home. I can truly understand both sides of the argument in regards to developing a course in a natural area. By nature (no pun intended) people are passionate about their opinions and beliefs, sometimes to the point of being irrational. Having spent countless hours exploring the woods, getting to know the flora and fauna of various areas, I can understand why somebody would get upset when they see their favorite places destroyed, or altered, in order to accommodate an activity that they don't understand. This is why education, empathy and good communication is so vitally important for the future growth of the sport that we all know and love. Antagonism and general jackassery go a long way in setting back the public perception of disc golf. I have not seen the area in question and have not spoken to the self-proclaimed protector of the park, so I don't feel qualified to fully endorse the course and mock the man in question. However, his words and actions do seem to be rather irrational, and it appears that he is a man who will never be happy. Undoubtedly, he has deeper issues than just "protecting" the park, but I will refrain from psychoanalyzing a stranger from a distance.

I guess all I can say is that I hope the local DG community is able to work with the public and not become antagonistic towards those who feel passionate about the park. Good luck to those involved in supporting the course, I really do hope things work out for you.

Save Timber Creek Park said:
First, a bit of education. When the installation of the disc golf course in Timber Creek Park was first announced, in AUGUST, it never said it would be installed throughout the park in the woods. If you had participated in the planning for Timber Creek Park you would have known that the public was told all frisbee would be in the area of Slim's Ranch field. We had no reason to think that declaration had changed, so we saw no threat to the park with the announcement of the installation of a disc golf course. Heck, some of us probably would have been out there tossing our, admittedly, old-fashioned frisbees (the kind that don't leave gouges in trees). The route was never announced and it has still not been shared with the public. What are the designers and planners so afraid of that requires such secrecy? Which brings me to my second point.

Let's state it outright. The reason all the proponents of disc golf want, all of a sudden, our cooperation is because you're worried. You're worried that you screwed up damaging important areas of a significant park. You're worried that you have angered a motivated community of users and stewards. You're worried that opposition is coalescing, so you advocate for open dialogue on a partisan facebook page when you have your own facebook page that no one outside of the disc golf community cares about. You're worried that you have a community of non-residents in direct conflict with County residents who pay taxes. You're worried that your continued destruction of this park has been put on hold. You think by acting concerned for nature that you will appear to be reasonable people with a reasonable cause. You think that by getting into a cooperative dialogue you will create an environment whereby the project can be, at the very least, tolerated by everyone and should move forward.

What you just don't get is that we will never work with you on this project. What you just don't get is that we will never stop fighting the installation of this travesty. What you don't get is that there are organizations and agencies you don't even know exist working to stop this course. What you just don't get is that this course will never be built.

So, you might as well give your fingers a rest. We will never care what you have to say in support of this course. If you want to express support for the course visit the Timber Creek Disc Golf facebook page. If you think this an unreasonable position, that's your right. Go tell your story on that page. It is our right to control this page. I will never be ashamed of being called unreasonable in defense of nature.

Holy crap this guy has lost his marbles.

I posted in favor of the course on the disc golf page. If there is anything else that you think we could do to help, just let us know!

From a safe distance, this story has great entertainment value. Sorry it's causing you guys such grief, though.

What you don't get is that there are organizations and agencies you don't even know exist working to stop this course.

Especially since you're fighting a shadowy conspiracy of massive proportions, not just a handful of zealous environmentalists.

somebody within this disc golf community give me permission to make this guys life a living hell.. seriously.. just give me the go ahead.