• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Proposed Course in South Jersey Facing Opposition - Help Needed DGCR

This was just posted on their page. We'll see how long it stays, but it's great information.

"Chris Daubert
I understand that you are worried about the environmental impact but I believe this is a win/win for the park. The following has been taken from studies on how disc golf actually improves park settings:

In many cases, communities note that the presence of a disc golf course has been related
to environmental improvement. The PDGA reports in the creation of the De Laveaga Disc golf
Course in Santa Cruz, CA, a site was chosen that was used as an illegal dump and haven for
ATV use. Thousands of tons of trash were removed from the site, and the course continues to
sustain itself as trash free and limited ATV use (PDGA, 2004b). The PDGA even maintains an
Environmental Committee to educate players in the impact of courses and provide consultation
in the design and course maintenance. Schmidt (1995) suggests that it is common for a disc golf
course to revitalize an underused park with deteriorating facilities. This can have the positive
effect of reducing crime and vandalism. A salient example can be found in a city park in
Richmond, Virginia. Prior to the course development, a local park was a hangout for drug deals
– an unsafe area for locals to play. After the course was established crime decreased and the
park was transformed (Tuten & Conkell, 1999). Another new course was developed in Northeastern Illinois, built on a little used park in hopes to deter vandalism by "bring[ing] traffic
in the park [which] will push out the bad traffic" (Jader, 2004)."

A salient example can be found in a city park in
Richmond, Virginia. Prior to the course development, a local park was a hangout for drug deals
– an unsafe area for locals to play. After the course was established crime decreased and the
park was transformed (Tuten & Conkell, 1999)

Oh.... Gillies, yeah transformed :\

I asked them a question on their facebook page and was banned.... :( why they no like me?

They are just being a little cry babyish. I looked at the pictures and one was of a leaf on the ground and I kid you not it says," this leaf was stepped on a crushed by the disc golfers." Oh lordy lordy I will never step on another leaf again.

They are just being a little cry babyish. I looked at the pictures and one was of a leaf on the ground and I kid you not it says," this leaf was stepped on a crushed by the disc golfers." Oh lordy lordy I will never step on another leaf again.

That is some comedic gold right there. How do they even know it was a disc golfer and not an animal or other person?

But them making comments like this is a GREAT thing. The more they look like loons, the less their opinion will count.

This was just posted on their page. We'll see how long it stays, but it's great information.

"Chris Daubert
I understand that you are worried about the environmental impact but I believe this is a win/win for the park. The following has been taken from studies on how disc golf actually improves park settings:

In many cases, communities note that the presence of a disc golf course has been related
to environmental improvement. The PDGA reports in the creation of the De Laveaga Disc golf
Course in Santa Cruz, CA, a site was chosen that was used as an illegal dump and haven for
ATV use. Thousands of tons of trash were removed from the site, and the course continues to
sustain itself as trash free and limited ATV use (PDGA, 2004b). The PDGA even maintains an
Environmental Committee to educate players in the impact of courses and provide consultation
in the design and course maintenance. Schmidt (1995) suggests that it is common for a disc golf
course to revitalize an underused park with deteriorating facilities. This can have the positive
effect of reducing crime and vandalism. A salient example can be found in a city park in
park was transformed (Tuten & Conkell, 1999). Another new course was developed in Northeastern Illinois, built on a little used park in hopes to deter vandalism by "bring[ing] traffic
in the park [which] will push out the bad traffic" (Jader, 2004)."

Took this off the PDGA website, I thought it was valid info and needed to be posted.

So my friend just told me that his posts were altered somehow by the opposition group and he had to threaten them legally...this is just ridiculous

I got banned in like .5 seconds because I said I was going to play disc golf in the park no matter what happened.

If I ever find myself in NJ I'm definitely playing disc golf in this park baskets or not.

Guys, I totally understand your frustrations and I can't say what you have posted on their Facebook page was offensive, but some of the comments on this thread--if posted would not help the situation. People need to be civil. Disc Golfers need to be seen as the better people.

They deleted and banned me, but left my wife's comments up for two days now and even replied to them. We both liked the course page.

Guys, I totally understand your frustrations and I can't say what you have posted on their Facebook page was offensive, but some of the comments on this thread--if posted would not help the situation. People need to be civil. Disc Golfers need to be seen as the better people.

nothing that has been posted has been offensive. They are simply deleting/banning posts that are mostly in support of the course.

It looks from the outside in that the "play nice" card has been played and was basically rejected by this chris guy. If you go to the facebook page for "save timber creek park" there is a post now using the "this is your tax money being wasted" card. There is a great answer to it from a resident but I imagine that will be deleted soon. I guess the thousands of dollars spent on the 9 acre dog park was not a waste because he uses it but he seems to forget that it was a waste for residents who do not own dogs. I know the dog park at idlewild raised $75,000 to build it along with tax payer money to keep it up. I have dogs but don't use it because it gets to crowded but I did not complain when they put it in.

This guy has a personal vendetta against the county because no matter how much he whines he does not get his way. He is fabricating stories and has now stooped to the "this is tax money being wasted" level because he has been proven wrong over and over again.

I can honestly see both sides here. Humans wreck sh!t all over the place. A disc golf course is hard on the surrounding environment. Older courses tell the story great as you can tell the grass is worn away the undergrowth is gone etc.

On the other hand this will get more people to the park to enjoy the land in a new way. Disc golf is a great sport and most of us are good people that love the outdoors.

This guy is way off base in his argument and he is also making himself and others that oppose the course look like idiots. In most cases having more people attend the park is a good thing for the area. I think the idea of a partnership here is great why not join forces for the love of the land?

Latest posts