• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Proposed Course in South Jersey Facing Opposition - Help Needed DGCR

erosion wouldn't happen if the people responsible for the course had the funding and manpower to properly take care of the land throughout the year.

erosion wouldn't happen if the people responsible for the course had the funding and manpower to properly take care of the land throughout the year.
agreed and volunteers etc. and proper planning from the start can avoid these issues too.

I've been banned for saying "I can't wait until I'm in the area again. Really looking forward to this course". The admin is quite the nazi. Man, I wished I lived in the area. I would make this guy hate me in minutes. It would be awesome.

Funny, in one post he says that rare trees can't be replanted. No wonder they are rare if they can't be planted or grown. How did they get there in the first place, aliens?

This guy is going to be a problem for the rest of either his life or the life of the course, whichever ends first. When he sees what happens to the trees in front of the tee boxes after a few years he is going the freak the f*** out. When he sees patches of dirt around the basket from people standing on plants getting their discs he is going to freak the f*** out. I'd be worried about him vandalizing the course, tbh. It sounds like he's already done this to marked trails put up by the boy scouts. Don't be surprised if baskets and tee signs start disappearring when the course finally goes in.

If I lived in the area I would be out there every day telling people the pros of having a course, I would also bring my portable out and throw the proposed lanes :)

I gave feedback about the group to facebook and made some long winded lecture about violating first amendment rights and moderating anything factual that he does not agree with.

He has heard about the legend. Once the hole opens up on Hole 8, all the trees, endangered plants and animals, and even people would start disappearing. Better safe than sorry.

some of the Facebook posts about "environment" and flowers and trees makes them seem like more Hippies than disc golf is perceived, haha...what idiots. It is mind blowing how short sighted and close-minded people can be sometimes.

This guy is going to be a problem for the rest of either his life or the life of the course, whichever ends first. When he sees what happens to the trees in front of the tee boxes after a few years he is going the freak the f*** out. When he sees patches of dirt around the basket from people standing on plants getting their discs he is going to freak the f*** out. I'd be worried about him vandalizing the course, tbh. It sounds like he's already done this to marked trails put up by the boy scouts. Don't be surprised if baskets and tee signs start disappearring when the course finally goes in.

Yeah, even if the course goes in, he's going to be a heckuva course neighbor. My condolences.

some of the Facebook posts about "environment" and flowers and trees makes them seem like more Hippies than disc golf is perceived, haha...what idiots. It is mind blowing how short sighted and close-minded people can be sometimes.

They no doubt feel the same way about the disc golfers.

Should I make a facebook page opposing their facebook page...? I think so.

Is there a local club assisting with the course? Have funds been raised by the club to offset costs? Has the club installed other courses, and if so, can they show their positive impact on the parks/courses as credible results in favor of building another course? I ask, because without a strong club influence, the tendency of the chuckers (termites) is to do exactly what these people are afraid of, and that would damage the sport's credibility in your area and make the next course even more difficult to get approved. If it does go through, these people are going to look for each and every opportunity to decry and demonize the course, and clearly, they will do it publicly.
We are fortunate to have a strong club membership presence here which goes a long way to maintaining our courses and preventing the termites from spoiling things for us (not to imply anything about yours, I just don't know. That's why I asked).
By all means, carry on the battle, because public park areas should be utilized in ways that most benefit the public. But it is hard to publicly challenge environmental protection in favor of niche recreation, whether their facts are bull**** or not.
I do not envy your position, and wish you the best of luck.

73905_414456245275586_1223741253_n.jpg

haha, gee, I wonder what is on the other end of that 'leash' she is holding there..

I've been bad...

http://www.facebook.com/SaveTimberCreekDiscGolf

I understand your motivation, and I know it's easy for disc golfers to feel under siege by the greater community that treats us like redheaded stepchildren at best, and undesireables at worst. But I wouldn't be surprised if a Facebook war will end up doing more harm than good. I have no idea what kind of land they have there at that park, but not all land in the world is well suited for disc golf. Instead of assuming these "Freeholders" (whatever that is) are just another group of NIMBY busybodies, and reacting by escalating the conflict, consider the possibility that some of their fears may be valid, or at least reasonable enough to listen to them. They'd probably feel less hostility to the disc golf course if the local disc golfers engaged them in mature, informative dialogue. And as someone else said above, it's not fun having people like that group looking for ways to stir up trouble out of spite.

Freeholders are local elected officials, knida like a county representative in other states...

This opposition is really just one retired couple rattling their verbal swords at anyone who walks by because they nothing better to do.

As far as a local club, we started forming one a few months back. It's well under way, and being started by several players that have extensive experience from working with other clubs in the region...

Latest posts